Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rlp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
well heres the problem..... am purchasing a new notebook soon but cant descide on which one suits my needs better, an ibook or powerbook. Also keep in mind i want this to be around for sometime so i dont want to get something that will be out dated in the near future.
These are the systems i am considering. 800ghz ibook with 14" screen 640 ram, combo drive, or a 867ghz powerbook 15" screen, 256 ram, and superdrive.
It will be used for webpage building, mp3's, dvd play back, cd burning, and other trival daily tasks such as email, web surfing...ect. that type of stuff. It will also be on an wireless "extreme" network.

I am aware of all the hardware differences but i want to here from real users. Which should i buy...will i be taxing the G3 too much. And isnt it coming time to retire it soon??? Please any help is greatly appreciated
:confused:

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
The difference between the iBook and PowerBook is like night and day. If you can afford the PowerBook I see no reason not to get it.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
What I will say is that if this is going to be your primary computer then and you can afford it then go for the powerbook, but you should wait until the 15" is updated like the new 17" and 12" ones.

DaedalusDE

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2002
Long Island, NY
i could be mistaken but i dont think that either the iBooks or the 15 inch tiBook are Airport Xtreme compatible... i think its just the desktops and the two new apBooks

rlp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
thanks guys for the help, all of you brought up points i hadnt given consideration too. and yes 802.11b airports cards are compatiable with 802.11g. I am pretty sure they are backwards compatible.

But it looks like this will be my primary computer, and can afford the price jump. And yes i will wait for the 15" to get the upgrades just released.

thanks again....
signed,
a going to be "switcher" soon

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
good to hear, hope to see you around on the boards when you finally get your powerbook, of course you'll know when that powerbook will be available if you frequent the boards now....

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Don't forget that the 14" iBook has the same screen resolution as the 12"iBook. If you are going to be building pages your going to want more screen area. The 15"Powerbook has a much larger screen area not just in inches but by resolution.

mmoin

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2001
When I bought my iBook I rationalized it like this: I can afford a 1ghz tibook w/superdrive, but if I get the iBook 800, there's a lot of money left over to buy extras- with the difference I'm getting a nice case, nice speakers, an external FW drive, and a USB recording interface. The iBook itself is just about fast enough for everything I need anyway.

rlp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
thats so true, and a angle i havent look at this from...thanks for the post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.