PowerBook Rumor Summary - Still Waiting...

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
On June 3rd, a MacPolls.com poll revealed that 32.89% of readers were waiting primarily for PowerBook updates. Unfortunately, those readers are still waiting... nearly 9 weeks later.

Previous Updates

15" PowerBooks were last updated in November 2002, with the introduction 1GHz machines with the Superdrive at the top end.

12" and 17" PowerBooks were introduced with little warning at Macworld San Francisco in January 2003. Almost immediately, rumors of a 15" PowerBook updates emerged.

(Timeline available at BuyersGuide.MacRumors.com)

Previous Rumors

Numerous sites have suggested 15" PowerBook revisions over the past 7 months: MacWhispers (Feb), SpyMac (Feb), Kodawarisan (March), PowerPage.org (April), MacBidouile (May 14), RailHeadDesign (May), Kodawarisan ( June), MacWhispers (June), DigiTimes (June).

In June, Apple dropped 12" and 15" PowerBook prices, which (in retrospect) may have hinted that PowerBook updates were not imminent.

Rumors peaked pre-WWDC with one site emphatically claiming 970 PowerBooks were arriving. No PowerBooks arrived, and one Apple executive finally hinted that PowerBooks would not see the G5 processor "anytime soon".

So When?

Speculation and rumors have placed the Motorola MPC7457 PowerPC Processor into the next PowerBook revisions.

The processor is expected to ship in Q4 2003, and reports from Appleinsider claim that the PowerBooks have been delayed due to the inability for Motorola to produce enough of these updated processors.

Even with a Q4 ship date expectation, the most recent rumors from MacBidouille (of uncertain reliability) suggest August 18-19th as possible dates for product introductions... however, no other reliable sources have confirmed this timeframe. Beyond these dates, the next major consumer event from Apple is Apple Expo on September 16, 2003 in Paris, France.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Yeah, lets Re-Cap something everyone wants, and yet, it still isn't out.

arg.

Come on, Apple and Moto, for one of the last time you guys will work with each other (I hope) please just get these OUT already!

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
I will get a new computer before next year. I would really like that to be an updated 17" PowerBook. If Apple can't deliver...ah, who am I kidding, what would I buy, a Dell? :rolleyes:

But seriously, where are the frickin updates Apple?

miradu

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2003
maybe the recap was posted 'cause arn knows something he can't print.. :D just kidding. I ahve been waiting 3 months to get my new 12 inch powerbook.. i am hoping i can get it before labor day and school starting... I don't want to have to set up a new mac, and switch my life from windows while in school....

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
My question is that Motorola announced that the new processors won't be released until the 4th Quarter. It's not the 4th Quarter yet, so my guess is it might still be a month or two until we see the Powerbooks or at least until they ship.

Bruja

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2003
Lathrup Village, Mi
Apple appears to be thinking differently themselves. However, it defies logic and some since of "good business practice" if they wish to stay in the black. One last tidbit of thought befor the day is up: Let's say for some unknown reason, the release the updated products. If what they say is true about Moto, Would you really want a janky chip that may cause problems?? Maybe the real answer is to go to e-bay and get a cheaper priced book and wait until this crap is sorted out and this way, it would not interrupt productivity and Apple would kill to release an UP 2 DATE product because their new sales profit has gone through the floor?? Just a thought?? :D

paulie

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2003
Saskatoon, Canada
Apple is missing out..

I would have paid an arm and a leg for the new Aluminum 15".. My buddy has the Titanium, and I fell in love with the size of that 15" screen. But, too late.. I'm heading off on the road, and I needed a good portable, so I got the 12-inch.

I'm very happy with my purchase, but had Apple brought out a new 15" this summer, they would've made a lot of money off of a lot of people.

*sigh*.. poor Apple..

I did get the 12" PB for the same price as the top-end 12" iBook, and they threw in an iSight for me.. so, didn't really go wrong at all.. ;)

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Originally posted by Bruja
Apple appears to be thinking differently themselves. However, it defies logic and some since of "good business practice" if they wish to stay in the black. One last tidbit of thought befor the day is up: Let's say for some unknown reason, the release the updated products. If what they say is true about Moto, Would you really want a janky chip that may be defective?? Maybe the real answer is to go to e-bay and get a cheaper priced book and wait until this crap is sorted out and this way, it would not interrupt productivity and Apple would kill to release an UP 2 DATE product because their new sales profit has gone through the floor?? Just a thought?? :D
Taking after vniow by coloring your messages? Seriously, Apple dropped the ball, it rolled under the table, was eaten by a gnome and was never to be seen again...Where are these Books? I'm going to explode with anticipation!:mad::mad:

bikertwin

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
This Old House
All these rumors about delayed PowerBooks worry me. I mean, if these units were designed to be shipped in May, does that mean they'll have 3-4 month old technology when they ship? DVD-recordable drives have made huge strides in the past two months (higher speeds, multiple formats), and widescreen high-resolution 15.4" screens (1680 x 1050 and 1920 x 1200) are even in Dells now. Here's hoping the new PowerBooks have stuff like that.

Bruja

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2003
Lathrup Village, Mi
Originally posted by Billicus
Taking after vniow by coloring your messages? Seriously, Apple dropped the ball, it rolled under the table, was eaten by a gnome and was never to be seen again...Where are these Books? I'm going to explode with anticipation!:mad::mad:

Nah, I was not aware.. I'm still a mac n00b :) *Chaneling the gnome* Hey!! Where's the creme fillin'?? :) Still, the Franken-book seems to be the most viable option for me. 12" is just too bloody small and my hands are too big for it.

stefman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
I'm tired of these weekly rumors!

My local reseller is offering a 17" with free airport base station and iSight.

I love the 17" (although I would settle for a new Alu 15") and if I get all these goodies...well...it's hard to resist.

So, do I wait for a speed increase (or a 15" Alu) or go for this deal? Decisions, decisions

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
It will be so nice when Apple doesn't have to deal with Moto any more.

They've been downright embarrassing as a chip vendor.

Originally posted by stefman

I love the 17" (although I would settle for a new Alu 15") and if I get all these goodies...well...it's hard to resist.

So, do I wait for a speed increase (or a 15" Alu) or go for this deal? Decisions, decisions
Bro, need you ask? Go for the deal. It's about $400 worth of free goodies. Take it.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Wow, that sounds like a great deal. I'd definitely take it. Seriously, the only things I can really think of coming to the new revisions are possibly 300 MHz bump in speed, maybe more cache, maybe an updated video card...it's nothing hugely to get excited about. A free iSight and Airport would definitely make up for that. :)

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Who cares about another Motorolla update?

I have owned 3 different Titanium Powerbooks. I have loved them all and I love OS X but they are getting stale. I wouldn't personally buy another G4. They are just too slow. The Dells and Sony Vaios with the High end Pentiums and faster buses run rings around the G4.

I WANT THE G5! Let's all write letters to Apple. NO MORE G4, NO MORE G4. Only G5's in the pro-line of computers. I thought this was the year of the Laptop!

punter

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
Australia
Re: I'm tired of these weekly rumors!

Originally posted by stefman

Go for the deal! An update of the 17" will SURELY have the g4 in it, so it won't be that much faster then the current model.

Plus we still don't know when this update will be.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
I've been looking to update my iBook 466 for awhile now. I'd like to get either a 12" AlBook or a 15" TiBook. I'm ok with the current models, but I know at this point the minute I buy one of these, the next day new ones will be released and my purchase is worth $200 less (at least). Maybe the new models will have something I want, or maybe I can get a deal on a discontinued model.
But what's happening now creates a whole bunch of uncertainty on buyers and people hold back.
As soon as we hear the new specs and prices we'll know what to do and sales will boom.

Keeping your customers in the dark is horrible for business.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i was just thinking before, "i wonder if there's any news on the PowerBook front?" then i came here and saw that there was a PowerBook rumors summary. this is interesting because MacRumors wouldn't write this sort of thing just out of the blue, right? something's got to be up?

I guess it's pretty much guaranteed that the new PowerBooks will use Moto's 7457, or else what is Apple waiting for? and a G5 PB has been ruled out for a long time...

i'm about to just go for a 17" PB from eBay, sick of all this waiting. sure if i get one now the new ones might have the 7457, but at least i'll be able to have it NOW!!:mad:

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Agreed, if I knew some details I'd either buy a Ti right away or hold off to immediately buy an updated 15" (or if they do preordered I'll preorder right then and there) either way, if Apple says anything about new PowerBooks, I know they will get some money from me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.