Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Based on the available information as well as some new unconfirmed information, the following releases seem probable, based on the current pieces of the rumor puzzle:

[ Probably Wrong ]

Disclaimer: This is based on both rumors and speculation.

Addendum: Based on some final whispers... the previous "software announcement" rumor was actually supposed to read "hardware announcement"....

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This is purely for entertainment value.

Page 2 due to speculation....

arn

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I also suspect the new 2 GB ram max. I mean, Apple is using 1 GB DIMMs in the PowerMac G5, why not the PowerBooks?
Originally posted by Macrumors

Addendum: There are now significant doubts about the accuracy of the "unexpected software announcements" previously reported on the main page.

:( I was really looking forward to that. Something just a little unexpected. So I guess this mean "no".

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
I'm waiting for the G5 PB before I make the switch. Next week or next Spring - doesn't matter to me. Sooner would be better, but later means less debt :p

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2003
LA
That's way too weak for a 10 month wait. however, if you need a powerbook, you can get an updated 1Ghz for about $600 less with some extra features.

i have to buy a powerbook. So were this to be true, i would feel a little better buying the $1999 version than I would have paying $2599 for today's model.

Also, if this were trus, it might indicate G5 powerbooks soon, becaeu they aren't even bothering with the new G4 chips.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
I'm not getting a new computer, laptop or otherwise for a long while. Software and ipod stuff is all i have to look forward too. im still holding out hope on new unexpected software.

agentmouthwash

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
Those specs sound sooooo weak!

How can Apple release the Powerbooks that are twice as expensive as imac that have the same processors?

I hope those specs aren't true.... it's a huge disappointment.

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Yes, for all the security and seeming hoopla ( then again it is OUR hoopla - of course Apple does have the black curtains and guards ) this seems rather anemic.

I'm not a big believer in the G5 powerbook, but here's to a 1.4 GHz G4 with L3 cache and a 200 MHz bus - that'd be nice!

If it turns out to be an overclocked 7455, I'll have a nightmare sometime around 3 am tonight...

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Originally posted by Cooknn
I'm waiting for the G5 PB before I make the switch. Next week or next Spring - doesn't matter to me. Sooner would be better, but later means less debt :p

And just what if Apple is going to use the 7457 (or whatever the number is) in not this, but the next PB update? Then it would be atleast a YEAR before you have a G5PB. Think about that now. I'm switching and I'm buying whatever the heck is thrown at us tomorrow... hands down.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Sounds fine to me

This sounds right to me. 64 VRAM at the entry point (of the "mainstream" size) is nice.

I'd love a G5, but Apple can only do what's possible.

Worst case, no matter what, the best laptop (and running the beat OS) in the world is about to become an even better value.

Price-wise, of course PBG4 costs more than the iMac. It's a portable! (And it does have some added features too, like Cardbus expansion, lighted keys, DVI out... not to mention battery back-up.)

Omek

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
I'm buying it no matter what it is.... but I realllllly hope it's a G5, and perhaps they'll give the iBooks the G4 since they aren't present in the show at the moment. Ya have to admit, that's a little suspicious...

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
No updated 12" means no G5

Since the prices of the new powerbook range from $1999 to $2999, we can assume that the 12" will not be updated. If Apple is not going to update the 12", they couldn't possibly put G5 chips into the other PowerBooks. Also, it is even unlikely that they would put the 7457 into the 15" and 17", but not update the 12". Imagine, 867Mhz for the 12", 1.4Ghz for the 15" and 17". That's too big a gap.

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
How can Apple release the Powerbooks that are twice as expensive as imac that have the same processors?

Because a portable costs much more money to design and build than a desktop does. You have to have everything be much smaller, while maintaining decent cooling (something that the 12'' powerbook is sorely lacking) and good performance. Apple is also trying to keep most of its pro laptops under 1'' thin, which will cost them more money to do so than if they followed the wintel crowd and made them as thick as this toshiba. (The thing is 30% heavier and almost 2x as thick. (1'' for 17'' powerbook VS 1.8'' for toshiba satellite)
http://reviews.cnet.com/Toshiba_Satellite_P25_series/4505-3122_7-30422520.html?tag=lst

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'm sure there's going to be no end to the outcry at the "lame" powerbook announcements, but really, those specs look realistic to me. Yes, after such a long wait it'd be sure to see something a bit more exciting, but Apple can't do the impossible just because we want them to.

I never had the slightest bit of faith in a G5 PB at this point (I just don't see Apple having made that much of a deal about it not happening, nor the engineering coming together that quickly, and all without any real leaks), so a decent speedbump and maybe a price drop is about the best we can ask for. Apple is cool, but if Motorola and/or IBM can't give them what they need, they can't work miracles.

I've got a friend who'll be buying an iBook really soon, so I was holding out for a surprise iBook bump and/or a cheap 12" for her, but oh well. When you need a computer, you need a computer.

tizza

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Re: No updated 12" means no G5

Originally posted by jamdr
Since the prices of the new powerbook range from $1999 to $2999, we can assume that the 12" will not be updated. If Apple is not going to update the 12", they couldn't possibly put G5 chips into the other PowerBooks. Also, it is even unlikely that they would put the 7457 into the 15" and 17", but not update the 12". Imagine, 867Mhz for the 12", 1.4Ghz for the 15" and 17". That's too big a gap.
Man I'll be disappointed if the 12"'s aren't updated. I'm surprised, as they are such a popular model too, and the one I was planning to get - maybe I should just cough up more and get the 15" if the 12" isn't there ... 6 more hours to wait anyway!!

Tommy Wasabi

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2003
Chicago
But what about

OK - enough with the PB Speculation

If we are hoping - why not wish for the release of iTunes Windows? Could annouce a ship date in October (same time as Panther!)

As for iPods accessories - it's probably a microphone and color versions (not screen but case).

I just wish it was available via quicktime streaming. Oh well, I'll see ya guys in the AM.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Interesting...
Mac Rumors is a great source, but arn tends to be a bit more conservative in his speculation (not that that's a bad thing).

What we've got here is a thought out possibility that assumes Steve doesn't have too many tricks up his sleeve.

We'll know for sure in less than 6 hours.

you

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2003
Kent Washington
Originally posted by chazmox
Yes, for all the security and seeming hoopla ( then again it is OUR hoopla - of course Apple does have the black curtains and guards ) this seems rather anemic.

I'm not a big believer in the G5 powerbook, but here's to a 1.4 GHz G4 with L3 cache and a 200 MHz bus - that'd be nice!

If it turns out to be an overclocked 7455, I'll have a nightmare sometime around 3 am tonight...

Are black security guards better than white ones??? :D

tuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
what were the specs

Ok, the specs have been yanked because they are suspect. Fair enough, i guess, but I'm kind of wondering what they were. I didn't get here until after they were yanked. oh well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.