Powerbook Specs? [Updated]

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 15, 2003.

  1. MacRumors macrumors bot


    Apr 12, 2001
    Based on the available information as well as some new unconfirmed information, the following releases seem probable, based on the current pieces of the rumor puzzle:

    [ Probably Wrong ]

    Disclaimer: This is based on both rumors and speculation.

    Addendum: Based on some final whispers... the previous "software announcement" rumor was actually supposed to read "hardware announcement"....
  2. arn macrumors god


    Staff Member

    Apr 9, 2001
    This is purely for entertainment value.

    Page 2 due to speculation....

  3. holy MAC! macrumors regular

    Mar 26, 2003
    bleh... that is not worth an apple expo announcement if it's true
  4. Freg3000 macrumors 68000


    Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    I also suspect the new 2 GB ram max. I mean, Apple is using 1 GB DIMMs in the PowerMac G5, why not the PowerBooks?
    :( I was really looking forward to that. Something just a little unexpected. So I guess this mean "no".
  5. Cooknn macrumors 68020


    Aug 23, 2003
    Fort Myers, FL
    I'm waiting for the G5 PB before I make the switch. Next week or next Spring - doesn't matter to me. Sooner would be better, but later means less debt :p
  6. you macrumors member

    Jul 19, 2003
    Kent Washington
  7. JtheLemur macrumors 6502

    May 13, 2002
    wish they could get the 12" down to 1" thick or less =)
  8. actionslacks macrumors regular

    Jul 25, 2003
    That's way too weak for a 10 month wait. however, if you need a powerbook, you can get an updated 1Ghz for about $600 less with some extra features.

    i have to buy a powerbook. So were this to be true, i would feel a little better buying the $1999 version than I would have paying $2599 for today's model.

    Also, if this were trus, it might indicate G5 powerbooks soon, becaeu they aren't even bothering with the new G4 chips.
  9. Wonder Boy macrumors 6502a

    Wonder Boy

    Feb 18, 2003
    South Windsor, CT
    I'm not getting a new computer, laptop or otherwise for a long while. Software and ipod stuff is all i have to look forward too. im still holding out hope on new unexpected software.
  10. applemacdude macrumors 68040


    Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
    No G5's?!!!! These powerbooks dont look good enogh to be locked up in paris!
  11. agentmouthwash macrumors regular


    Aug 15, 2003
    Those specs sound sooooo weak!

    How can Apple release the Powerbooks that are twice as expensive as imac that have the same processors?

    I hope those specs aren't true.... it's a huge disappointment.
  12. chazmox macrumors regular

    Feb 4, 2003
    Yes, for all the security and seeming hoopla ( then again it is OUR hoopla - of course Apple does have the black curtains and guards ) this seems rather anemic.

    I'm not a big believer in the G5 powerbook, but here's to a 1.4 GHz G4 with L3 cache and a 200 MHz bus - that'd be nice!

    If it turns out to be an overclocked 7455, I'll have a nightmare sometime around 3 am tonight...
  13. cb911 macrumors 601


    Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    i'm hoping that the 'sources' are just very conservative.;)
  14. crees! macrumors 68000


    Jun 14, 2003
    And just what if Apple is going to use the 7457 (or whatever the number is) in not this, but the next PB update? Then it would be atleast a YEAR before you have a G5PB. Think about that now. I'm switching and I'm buying whatever the heck is thrown at us tomorrow... hands down.
  15. nagromme macrumors G5


    May 2, 2002
    Sounds fine to me

    This sounds right to me. 64 VRAM at the entry point (of the "mainstream" size) is nice.

    I'd love a G5, but Apple can only do what's possible.

    Worst case, no matter what, the best laptop (and running the beat OS) in the world is about to become an even better value.

    Price-wise, of course PBG4 costs more than the iMac. It's a portable! (And it does have some added features too, like Cardbus expansion, lighted keys, DVI out... not to mention battery back-up.)
  16. Omek macrumors regular

    Jun 6, 2003
    I'm buying it no matter what it is.... but I realllllly hope it's a G5, and perhaps they'll give the iBooks the G4 since they aren't present in the show at the moment. Ya have to admit, that's a little suspicious...
  17. jamdr macrumors 6502a


    Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    No updated 12" means no G5

    Since the prices of the new powerbook range from $1999 to $2999, we can assume that the 12" will not be updated. If Apple is not going to update the 12", they couldn't possibly put G5 chips into the other PowerBooks. Also, it is even unlikely that they would put the 7457 into the 15" and 17", but not update the 12". Imagine, 867Mhz for the 12", 1.4Ghz for the 15" and 17". That's too big a gap.
  18. theipodgod16 macrumors 6502

    Aug 10, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
  19. Makosuke macrumors 603

    Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    I'm sure there's going to be no end to the outcry at the "lame" powerbook announcements, but really, those specs look realistic to me. Yes, after such a long wait it'd be sure to see something a bit more exciting, but Apple can't do the impossible just because we want them to.

    I never had the slightest bit of faith in a G5 PB at this point (I just don't see Apple having made that much of a deal about it not happening, nor the engineering coming together that quickly, and all without any real leaks), so a decent speedbump and maybe a price drop is about the best we can ask for. Apple is cool, but if Motorola and/or IBM can't give them what they need, they can't work miracles.

    I've got a friend who'll be buying an iBook really soon, so I was holding out for a surprise iBook bump and/or a cheap 12" for her, but oh well. When you need a computer, you need a computer.
  20. tizza macrumors regular

    Jun 23, 2003
    Brisbane, Australia
    Re: No updated 12" means no G5

    Man I'll be disappointed if the 12"'s aren't updated. I'm surprised, as they are such a popular model too, and the one I was planning to get - maybe I should just cough up more and get the 15" if the 12" isn't there ... 6 more hours to wait anyway!!
  21. Tommy Wasabi macrumors member

    Tommy Wasabi

    Sep 10, 2003
    But what about

    OK - enough with the PB Speculation

    If we are hoping - why not wish for the release of iTunes Windows? Could annouce a ship date in October (same time as Panther!)

    As for iPods accessories - it's probably a microphone and color versions (not screen but case).

    I just wish it was available via quicktime streaming. Oh well, I'll see ya guys in the AM.
  22. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816


    Dec 28, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Mac Rumors is a great source, but arn tends to be a bit more conservative in his speculation (not that that's a bad thing).

    What we've got here is a thought out possibility that assumes Steve doesn't have too many tricks up his sleeve.

    We'll know for sure in less than 6 hours.
  23. you macrumors member

    Jul 19, 2003
    Kent Washington
    Are black security guards better than white ones??? :D
  24. tuc macrumors 6502

    Aug 25, 2003
    what were the specs

    Ok, the specs have been yanked because they are suspect. Fair enough, i guess, but I'm kind of wondering what they were. I didn't get here until after they were yanked. oh well...
  25. Lord Bodak macrumors 6502

    Jun 24, 2003
    Chesapeake, VA USA
    I missed the post! Now it just says [Probably Wrong] under specs. I thought this was Page 2, who cares if they're wrong? :D

Share This Page