PowerBooks, Displays, and IBM's PowerPC

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
It appears one other source caught wind of the Powerbook updates at MacWorld San Francisco... Computer Arts Magazine's December 2002 issue contained a Calender of upcoming events. In it, they wrote:

Will Macmeister Steve Jobs be unveiling new PowerBook laptops at the Macworld show?
Reliability of the magazine's sources may be variable, as they also pegged QuarkXPress 6 for Mac OS X due in January in the same issue. (ThinkSecret provided a small preview of Quark 6 today.)

Of particular interest is Computer Arts' calender for February 2003: February 14th has an entry reporting "New Apple 19-inch widescreen LCD in shops soon" and February 24th: "New IBM PowerPC chips soon to be rolling off the production line".

Recent information over the past 24 hours brings to light the possibility of a 20.1" Apple Display with information leaked yesterday. That information has since been pulled from TCO's website. This Computer Arts article targets the date a bit more specifically... at Feb. 14th.

MacOSRumors claims they have details of the 20.1 inch display - to be priced at $1799 with a 1600x1024 resolution.

The significance of the IBM PowerPC comment is still unclear, with all previous signs pointing to volume production of the anticipated IBM PowerPC 970 being second half of 2003.

Scan of the Computer Arts' calender is available here.

insidedanshead

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Yeah, it seems their 970 comment is speculation.. unfortunately :-(
we've all been speculating about that for a while now.
and volume production of the chip means little until we know its going to be implemented into the mac..

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
there source seems to be accurate

How did they pull off the Powerbook story? They must be having some real source. Keep hoping :)

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
Originally posted by insidedanshead
Yeah, it seems their 970 comment is speculation.. unfortunately :-(
we've all been speculating about that for a while now.
and volume production of the chip means little until we know its going to be implemented into the mac..
Late February sounds about right. IBM is saying sample quantities sometime in March.

Skandranon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2002
North Carolina
Lucky guess.

Originally posted by jaykk
How did they pull off the Powerbook story?
Lucky guess. This calendar is pure speculation. And I'll eat my words should Steve unveil the new IBM 970 Power Mac on Feb 24.

Hey, Computer Arts.... when will my new AlBook finally ship? :rolleyes:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Lucky guess.

Originally posted by Skandranon

Lucky guess. This calendar is pure speculation. And I'll eat my words should Steve unveil the new IBM 970 Power Mac on Feb 24.
two things...

1) The powerbook thing may have been a guess... but it was a strange guess with recent powerbook updates

2) they aren't saying PowerMac's will be using them Feb 24th... they're saying IBM will be producing them at that time. big diff.

arn

daRAT

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
Originally posted by GigaWire
$1799 for a 20 " monitor?

No way, no how, never.

more like $1099 @ worse...
I have to agree, thats to damn much, 1100$ would be reasonable, that may even get Formac to drop thier prices?

I bet the 17" will be low end model, maybe at 700$ ...

Hafta wait and see I guess :]

andyduncan

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Even if that magazine was to be delivered in december (and most magazines arrive two weeks to a month ahead of schedule), it would probably have gone to press before the november announcement of the speed-bumped tiBooks. At that point, betting on new powerbooks for January was a pretty popular rumor and a rather safe bet.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
Austin, TX
Hmm... Sounds interesting. We can only wait to see if it comes true. We do know, though, that IBM is much better than motorola when keeping up with dates, and may even get something out early if Jobs pressures them more, and stuff like that. He's done it with video cards...

michaelyoung

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2002
Originally posted by andyduncan
Even , it would probably have gone to press before the november announcement of the speed-bumped tiBooks. At that point, betting on new powerbooks for January was a pretty popular rumor and a rather safe bet.
true and good point.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Wait, just because it mentions IBM, does that mean 970? I didn't see the 970 mentioned anywhere. Maybe a new G3 chip. What do you think?

P-Worm

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Well, I sure hope this rumor about an early introduction of the Power 970 is true. I've been praying that SJ, Apple, and IBM don't let me down.

EDIT: Perhaps Apple will wait until the 24th to update the iMacs and put Power 970 chips in them! :D

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Originally posted by P-Worm
Wait, just because it mentions IBM, does that mean 970? I didn't see the 970 mentioned anywhere. Maybe a new G3 chip. What do you think?

P-Worm
That makes a lot of sense, but the calander mentions 64-bit macs to follow.

nighthawk

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
I've always wondered about IBM and their new Altivec-compatible code... their G3 chips really compete well with the G4 Motorola chips. I wonder how difficult it would be for IBM to marry their G3 with Altivec to produce a chip similar to the G4. If they did that, it might be cheaper for Apple to buy than Motorola chips, and would be perfect for the "G4" iBook, eMac, and iMac.

u2mr2os2

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
"G4 iBook"

Originally posted by nighthawk
I've always wondered about IBM and their new Altivec-compatible code... their G3 chips really compete well with the G4 Motorola chips. I wonder how difficult it would be for IBM to marry their G3 with Altivec to produce a chip similar to the G4. If they did that, it might be cheaper for Apple to buy than Motorola chips, and would be perfect for the "G4" iBook, eMac, and iMac.
The only thing is that the 12" Powerbook is the G4 iBook for all practical purposes. Suddenly having an iBook with a 1GHz+ IBM G3 with Alti-Vec (and larger cache) would easily surpass that model.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
1280x800 powerbooks? i hope they're wrong. if they're right, i am glad i kept mine. screw that. that's a lot less space. buhhhhh....

Sedulous

Contributor
Dec 10, 2002
Will Macmeister Steve Jobs be unveiling new PowerBook laptops at the Macworld show?

It specifically mentions unveiling a new PowerBook at Macworld. That makes me wonder if they did mean to suggest a new model Powerbook and not just another basic update and wasn't in refrence to the upgrade in Dec.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
I'm so happy with the news for this year! Apple is growing strong and will start to deliver the best products in the world (where did i heard that...).

We have the PPC 970 coming, we have trully great iApps coming, the iPod is a sucess worldwide, everybody loves the iMac (even die-hard PC users would love to have one, they just dont go with the price.) Even PC magazines like Mac products! I saw that in the other day on the T3 magazine that Apple got 3 prizes. A first prize for the iPod 20Gb as the ultimate gadget (the iPod got this prize as well last year for the 5 Gb model) and on the computer section the second and third place was for the iMac and the Powerbook!

This is very good for Apple, they have the consumer desire for their products, but there are still lots of bad conceptions about the Mac platform. But once they get their questions answered the right way, they suddenly wake up and see that they can have fun with a computer, that they can use the computer for the personal lifes, editing photos and movies or organizing their MP3 to listen on their beloved iPod, with ease of use, with pleasure, not by installing and then installing again and again something that just doesnt seem to work right.

This year started very well, with the new Powerbooks and their cool Backlit keyboards, with the iApps and Keynote, with Safari, that besides being a beta version, I started to have pleasure organizing my bookmarks on all the folders. And now we have more things coming, more great news for us Mac users, new powerfull Chips, new Displays, new PowerMacs, new iPod, new software, new everything! They are delivering and they are listening to our opinions, to our way of using their products.

Im trully a very proud and happy Mac user... and with all this goodies coming, I feel even more the pleasure of owning a Mac...

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
Shipping and Availability
The NEC MultiSync LCD2080UX is available at the end of the month through
authorized NEC-Mitsubishi Electronics Display resellers at an estimated street
price (ESP) of $1599.99 in white with brushed aluminum and black cabinet
options. NEC-Mitsubishi Electronics Display's monitors are backed by a three-
year limited warranty including backlight.
Brushed metal??? I smell something...

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by backspinner

Brushed metal??? I smell something...
Maybe it is because you have a few days browsing/posting on rumour sites without a shower ???:p

No seriously, if you are refering to the possibility of it being the panel used for the new Apple LCD, I'd say that in all likelihood that new LCD will be in widescreen format (as opposed to that Nec monitor). Now if you think that this screen will go very well with your PowerBook (do you have one ?) then maybe the smell is burnt plastic cause your credit card is getting a bit excited...:cool:

NicoMan

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by Shadowfax
1280x800 powerbooks? i hope they're wrong. if they're right, i am glad i kept mine. screw that. that's a lot less space. buhhhhh....
Ah but thats not a massive difference, and also you might want DDR, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, etc...

Doh!

NicoMan

type_r503

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2002
IBM better begin manufacturing 970 chips soon if apple and the rest of the developers are going to be ready for an end of year role out. OSX will have to be rebuilt to run on the new chip as well as all the memory and peripheral vendors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.