Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

PowerBooks in Paris?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
50,953
12,439
PowerPage.org claims that PowerBooks aren't like to be announced at Apple Expo. They also claim that it was not the Motorola Processor which is the bottleneck, but instead the assembly factory.

Previous reports from PowerPage claimed the 15" PowerBooks were ready and waiting, just waiting for stock to deplete... in May.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is LoopRumors.com -- with new PowerBooks "a certainty". LoopRumors recently was incorrect about details of the iMac update, claiming FW800 and case revisions would be accompanying yesterday's update.
 

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
208
0
I really couldn't understand O'Grady's first point. First he says they have 10.2.7 installed, then a modified version of Panther... which is it???

He's has been wrong before about PB's. Also, remember he gave an outside chance to them being announced at MacWorld.

Hmmm... I'd fault LoopRumors less on their miss. They got the iMac updates right ( timeframe, if not the specs ) and they were saying it for several weeks.

Geez, lets HOPE they have PB's at Paris - if they don't what is Apple going to sell? MacPrices shows out-of-stocks everywhere.

One good note, the 17 inch has always been in stock - yesterday it went to 3-5 days on the Apple Store. The iMac did this the week before it's update...
 
Comment

mmmbop

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
103
0
London
Re: PowerBooks in Paris?

Originally posted by Macrumors
They also claim...

Previous reports...

On the opposite end of the spectrum is...


Oh brother, it's powerbook rumour time again!
 
Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
15,563
4,127
Originally posted by chazmox

Hmmm... I'd fault LoopRumors less on their miss. They got the iMac updates right ( timeframe, if not the specs ) and they were saying it for several weeks.

ThinkSecret said it first, though. The only "new" information they posted was incorrect.

arn
 
Comment

GrizzlyHippo

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
83
0
on the sofa
PB's definitely at Paris...

Finally the UK Apple Store has changed the 15" PB availability from next day to now 6-8 days.

Please Dog, let it be true.

Grizzly
 
Comment

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
4,454
2,592
around the world
Powerbooks will come at Paris

Hi,

I really think that Steve will release the new powerbooks and more in Paris.

He will not stand on the podium with nothing in his hands and just make a Panther presentation. That will not happen. So if he hadn't another big thing he would at least have announced the new iPods and iMacs in Paris. But that didn't happen. They have been released this week. That means he has something to release next week.

Powerbooks are coming.
 
Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
12,546
1,196
I'm not saying PD updates are certain, but I doubt PowerPage's sources. They say PowerBooks may ship with a modified version of Panther that lacks the new Finder?!? I don't think so. Panther will be released complete and to everyone, not incomplete just to PowerBook buyers.
 
Comment

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
893
0
PowerPage is definitely wrong about the processor. If the processor wasn't the holdup, then why doesn't the iMac have it? It is faster, consumes less power, has twice the cache and a faster bus, all of which would contribute to a better performing system. The 7457 has not been seen and was due this quarter. If it was available, I think Apple would be using it, especially since it was suppose to be cheaper then the 7455.
 
Comment

noneis

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
41
0
this had BETTER be wrong, i cant take much more of this stuff. i will buy anything they release a this point,

please apple deliver me from the valley of the shadow of death.
 
Comment

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
2,075
0
Muncie, Indiana
Originally posted by Lanbrown
PowerPage is definitely wrong about the processor. If the processor wasn't the holdup, then why doesn't the iMac have it? It is faster, consumes less power, has twice the cache and a faster bus, all of which would contribute to a better performing system. The 7457 has not been seen and was due this quarter. If it was available, I think Apple would be using it, especially since it was suppose to be cheaper then the 7455.

100% right, Lanbrown! And following from that, since the iMac just came out and doesn't have it, if there are PBs coming out, they won't have it either... and that makes no sense, so therefore there are no PBs coming out!
 
Comment
PBG5

any idea when PB G5s would be coming out? I find it unlikely that if 15" PBs were released in Paris would be G5s, but is it possible? Why would apple wait so long in between making two new powerbooks and a third one without some major upgrade?
On a different note, I think I'm going to upgrade from my ibook soon, but I'm wondering if I should hold off and then get a G5. What are your thoughts on the matter?
Thanks!

-jesse
 
Comment

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
5,889
0
Chicago, IL
Re: PBG5

Originally posted by Jackrabbit Slim
any idea when PB G5s would be coming out? I find it unlikely that if 15" PBs were released in Paris would be G5s, but is it possible? Why would apple wait so long in between making two new powerbooks and a third one without some major upgrade?
On a different note, I think I'm going to upgrade from my ibook soon, but I'm wondering if I should hold off and then get a G5. What are your thoughts on the matter?
Thanks!

-jesse

Depends on where they are at designing the chipset. If its close to being done 1st quarter. If it still in development (Who does development anyways? Apple or IBM?) It could be the summer. Simply...no one knows. Its total speculation at this point.

I do hope its 1st quarter. Mmmm 17" PowerBook G5. Yummy.
 
Comment

Plutoniq

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2003
72
0
Just because the Imac updates didn't sport the new 7457 G4 doesn't mean Apple won't throw 'em into the Powerbooks.

If yields are a problem with the 7457, I'd see Apple using every precious one they can get there hands on for the Powerbook line........ It is there where heat is much more of an issue, not to mention the Powerbook is Apple's "Pro" portable.....the Imac is "intended" to be a consumer machine, where would u throw the flagship G4 if you've only got a few to play with?

p
 
Comment

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
5,889
0
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by cubist
100% right, Lanbrown! And following from that, since the iMac just came out and doesn't have it, if there are PBs coming out, they won't have it either... and that makes no sense, so therefore there are no PBs coming out!

Not quite. If the 7457 is truly in short supply they are going to go with their higher end product to ship them in. Apple has to pick and choose where to place these chips because Moto is composed of a bunch of idiots. :mad:
 
Comment

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
742
0
Re: Powerbooks will come at Paris

i have to say, the "why release iMacs/iPods a week before the expo if there's nothing bigger in the pipeline" is the most solid argument re: updates that i've seen in the past... what, six months now?

i'm not going to go so far as to say PBs are arriving next week (i refuse to play the PB rumor game any longer) but i do think this is good evidence that we'll see something worthwhile next Tues.
 
Comment

Puppies

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
56
0
(Who does development anyways? Apple or IBM?)

Apple developed the PowerMac G5's chipset.

I'm not holding my breath for updates, but they HAVE to be coming soon now. They'd better have good GPUs, and good prices if they're just G4s...
 
Comment

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
770
4
Tucson, AZ
Everyone's just wrong. No one seems to know anything. Whoever Loop Rumors and Power Page get their rumors from is most likely a decrepit transient who camps out in a can on Infinite Loop, maybe filters through some trashed documents once and a while. So far, that's all we've gotten out of these rumor-mills so far: Trash.
The Register seems to have it in order, Think Secret is on the ball, and Mac Rumors does a great job putting all the rest in perspective. The amount of salt that I've been taking with these new rumors has made me sick. Ugh.
 
Comment

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
1,920
27
MD/VA/DC
Entertaining blurb

From Macbidouille:

"We mentionned a few times the more than tense relationships between Apple and Motorola. Things are not getting better, quite the contrary. Steve Jobs allegedly came down a few days ago at Motorola main offices. One says that strong words would have been exchanged. Very Angry And Not Happy Steve is said to have called the G4 a "Tonka Truck Processor". (To explain this, you might remember the Tonka toys, cranes, trucks, ...) By this, Steve hinted that he considered the G4 a toy compared to the G5."

Tonka Truck Processor.. that is just the laugh I needed.
 
Comment

tizza

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
153
0
Brisbane, Australia
Re: Powerbooks will come at Paris

Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
Hi,

I really think that Steve will release the new powerbooks and more in Paris.

He will not stand on the podium with nothing in his hands and just make a Panther presentation. That will not happen. So if he hadn't another big thing he would at least have announced the new iPods and iMacs in Paris. But that didn't happen. They have been released this week. That means he has something to release next week.

Powerbooks are coming.
I agree. The very fact that iMac updates have come out now means Apple have more up there sleeve for Paris. In fact it looks even less likely now that the PB updates will be simple speedbumps - MAY IT BE SO!
 
Comment

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
3,794
3
in transit
Originally posted by Marble
The Register seems to have it in order

The Reg? Heh, surely you jest. That's the same page that floated the first few G5 rumors years ago, G5s which were apparently just a few months away (in 2000/2001.) :p
 
Comment

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
3,794
3
in transit
Originally posted by Marble
Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about..

It's all cool... :p

The Reg has a lot of articles, most of which sound plausible. Most of them we would like to be true as well. ;)
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.