Powering from Monitor USB to multiport adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by spittingllama, May 10, 2015.

1. spittingllama macrumors member

So as the New MacBook can be charged via USB-A to USB-C. My question is can you theoretically power the laptop by having the apple Multiport adapter connected to the macbook then run a USB-A to USB-C to a USB port on the back of a monitor? Thus eradicating the need for carrying the changer about?

I would be happy if this simply powered the Mac while in use and did not charge.

Thoughts and findings welcomed

2. KrisLord macrumors 6502a

It will depend on the current output of the monitors USB port. If it can output 2A then it will charge at the same speed as an iPad charger would charge the MacBook.

3. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

Tried this and it didn't work for me. I have the DELL U2713HM and it has a 4-port USB hub.

• Plugged into the Multiport Adapter, it simply does not work at all.
    • Plugged direclty into the rMB (no adapter), I hear the "charge" sound, but it does not actually power the laptop, nor chrage the batteries

4. melb00m macrumors regular

I'm sure there will be displays coming out for this machine that serve as a hub or docking station too, providing power and multiple additional ports.

Just give it some time.

5. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

I think most monitors, especially Dell, are low power. They are meant for keyboard, mouse, thumb drive, etc.