Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Some early benchmarks of the PowerMac G5 1.6GHz have been posted to Chaosmint.com, thanks to David Marcus and James F. Haw.

The numbers provide an early look into the low-end PowerMac G5. A few caveats however:

1) XBench and Cinebench 2003 are not G5-aware applications and as a result may need to be tweaked to accurately measure the performance of the G5.

2) The comparison machine that people will compare it to will most likely be a Dual 1.42GHz machine. Remember that you are comparing two G4 processors compared to one G5.

3) A better test would be a Photoshop benchmark using the old and G5-aware versions of Photoshop.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
That seems very good!

I can only imagine how well the dual 2Ghz will score.

And when it is 64bit optomized, I think there will be a lot more switchers.

scem0

jamilecrire

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2002
Why does anyone care about benchmarks?

Really, if it can do what you need buy it. If not don't. Benchmarks are for CEO's so they can say "My computer does X flops".

Give it a rest. I have a QS G4 733 with 10.2, a iBook 900 with 10.2 and see no reason to upgrade anytime soon (btw I'm a software developer). Hell, when they released 10.2 that easily added a 25% performance gain to my 733. Good programming goes a long way.

That being said a G5 Powerbook is my next purchase (my bet is on next fall, so I've got plenty of time to wait/save).

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Re: Why does anyone care about benchmarks?

Originally posted by jamilecrire
Really, if it can do what you need buy it. If not don't. Benchmarks are for CEO's so they can say "My computer does X flops".

I'd tend to disagree. Although SPEC numbers arn't as useful as actual real-world performance, benchmarks such as these are actually quite beneficial.

It allows potential buyers to see if the extra cash is actually worth it. Would you buy a G5 if (hypothetically, and obviously wrong) it was no faster than the dual 1.42Ghz tower? Benchmarks exist to help users decide whether the new product actually warrents the price of upgrading.

copperpipe

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2002
a Photoshop test is what I need....

Benchmark schmentzmark. What we need is comparisons for all the leading programs for various tasks. ie Photoshop, Logic, FCP, and whatever other programs are reflective of their industries...

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I know there are 4 caveats, but I am surprisingly not overly impressed by these numbers. Then again it is the low end single processor model.

I'll try to hold my judgment until more tests can be done.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Freg3000
I know there are 4 caveats, but I am surprisingly not overly impressed by these numbers. Then again it is the low end single processor model.

I'll try to hold my judgment until more tests can be done.

well, in some tests a single 1.6GHz G5 beats Two 1.42GHz G4s. Mostly the memory-based ones where the higher speed bus would help. Seems like a good thing.

arn

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Re: a Photoshop test is what I need....

Originally posted by copperpipe
Benchmark schmentzmark. What we need is comparisons for all the leading programs for various tasks. ie Photoshop, Logic, FCP, and whatever other programs are reflective of their industries...

how about programs like Internet Explorer/safari/any browser?

I spend most of my time on the internet. I want to know if dual helps page rendering a lot. If It doesnt I might get the single 1.8.

Why about just opening finder windows. Simple tasks like that, which you use all the time.

Photoshop benchmarks dont help me all that much, although I would love to see them.

How about program compiling time differences? Especially with Java compilers. I plan on doing a good amount of java on this computer, mostly for school.

scem0

edit:

Originally posted by arn
well, in some tests a single 1.6GHz G5 beats Two 1.42GHz G4s. Seems good.

arn

I agree. I think it is performing very well. I expected less from a single processor system.

pkradd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2001
Photo of G5 Innards

That photo was originally posted on Appleinsider by richcigar.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Re: Re: a Photoshop test is what I need....

Originally posted by scem0
I spend most of my time on the internet. I want to know if dual helps page rendering a lot. If It doesnt I might get the single 1.8.

Huh? You want a dual 2Ghz just to surf the 'Net? :eek: ;) :p :D

Heck, a 1.8Ghz tower would probably be overkill for 'page rendering.' :p

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Wow! Is that thing tall or what! Heck is it really that big - it looks taller than some kids. I really gotta see it in person.

pourhadi

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2003
In Stores?

Since the G5s are showing up, does that mean Apple Stores should have demos soon?

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
That's A Big Box !!

After seeing the G5 next to that G4, I checked the dimentions and the G5 is not going to fit under my desk, or on top, or under. I may have to put it in the garage. :)

Anyone know if the handles are removable?. The G5 measures 20.1" and I only have 18.75" under my desk. I didn't realize it was so big. I could set it off to the side but the cabels will most likely be about 2" too short. :(

yoshi1013

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2003
New York
I'm looking forward to the speed because of video applications. I'm sick and tired of waiting until I won't be using my computer just to encode maybe five minutes of video which will take around an hour or so also depending on if I use 2-pass VBR encoding.

My tests for speed usually involve messing around in Final Cut Pro. Though realtime previewing will be nice seeing as I still have a 350mhz G3 Desktop.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Re: Re: Re: a Photoshop test is what I need....

Originally posted by job
Huh? You want a dual 2Ghz just to surf the 'Net? :eek: ;) :p :D

Heck, a 1.8Ghz tower would probably be overkill for 'page rendering.' :p

yes, a lot of surfing.

But a lot of programming too (the more the better ;)). I know C++, Im learning basic and java. I hope to be using all 3 of those languages a lot.

And with the amount of time I spend on my computer even if all I did was surf it wouldnt be overkill. If I save a hundredth of a second on every webpage I went to I'd save a BUNCH of time.

scem0

leicaman

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Carlsbad, CA
Re: That's A Big Box !!

Originally posted by Fender2112
After seeing the G5 next to that G4, I checked the dimentions and the G5 is not going to fit under my desk, or on top, or under. I may have to put it in the garage. :)

Anyone know if the handles are removable?. The G5 measures 20.1" and I only have 18.75" under my desk. I didn't realize it was so big. I could set it off to the side but the cabels will most likely be about 2" too short. :(

No, the handles are not removable. It's one solid piece of metal.:D

mim

macrumors 6502
Re: Re: a Photoshop test is what I need....

Originally posted by scem0
how about programs like Internet Explorer/safari/any browser?

How about program compiling time differences? Especially with Java compilers. I plan on doing a good amount of java on this computer, mostly for school.

Oh scem, you are joking right? Please say yes :(

I'd think you could get a nice G4 machine and a REALLY fast adsl connection for a few years for the same price as a new Dual G5. That would speed up your page displays.

Mind you, I've got nothing against anyone wanting a new toy :D

But I'd hope we can think of better things to do with it than increasing html renders (maybe render 6 way 3d shockwave streams?).

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Re: Re: That's A Big Box !!

Originally posted by leicaman
No, the handles are not removable. It's one solid piece of metal.:D

hmmm...I may have to rethink this whole G5 thing. I really don't want to get a Dell. I'm sure I can figure out something. Do you thing I'll void the warranty if I cut the off the handles with a hacksaw?

Longey Nowze

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2001
for those who think benchmarks are useless: why do car manufactures tell you how fast their car goes from 0-100km/h? and then tell you how fast it goes from 100Km/h-0? why do they give you fuel consumption numbers?

I know some benchmarks are useless for most people sometimes as useless as telling you how fast the windows go up in a car! SPEC are useless to me but some benchmarks show where the computer is faster and where it is slower this SP G5 is faster in memory due to the faster bus which is a good thing to know! real world tests are ok and when you give us PS tests even though important to a lot of people will make wintel users will never shut up, but do we really care?! they will say stuff like it's written for mac! it's the only fast up on mac! which I think is stupid! a all apps should be optimised! most software being slow today isn't the chips fault! it's bad programming! look at how fast X is getting with every update?! I'm a firm believer that we don't need faster CPUs as much as we need better programming! CPUs have evolved so much but programming seems to be well... it's not catching up!

to the person who asked about browsers that support DP I believe OmniWeb and Netscape maybe even mozilla support DP, I'm not sure if safari does I haven't read anything that says it does...

THANK YOU
MaT

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Benchmarks are just a nice, modern-day replacement for pissing contests :) Much cleaner, too.

LOL - look, ma, see how far along the bench my mark is!

No, when using a computer 12 hours a day 6 days a week (and having no life), trust me, its all about the interface being Snappy™

Thats the only benchmark that matters to me. Bring on Panther and a G5, and then my daily work experience might finally be as snappy as XP on my 1.8ghz P4! :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.