pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
1,004
0
Oak Park, IL
A June announcement with an August release? :confused:

Apple's got to have something on the market in July, or they'll suffer real losses. Who's going to buy a G4 tower when a 970 tower is on the way?
 
Comment

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
523
59
And maybe they are SO powerful that they will be ABLE to get COunter-Strike running on a Mac! *gasp!* hehehe :D
 
Comment

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
679
0
Nice! we have a confirmation on the speeds. Just can't wait for them to drop one in a powerbook. :)
 
Comment

mim

macrumors 6502
Originally posted by joelc
The real question is, can macnews.net.tc confirm the benchmarks?

err...don't mean to flame, but did you read their site?!

It says:

"While we cannot confirm the benchmark results for the PowerPC 970 machines posted by MacBidouille...our sources say the numbers are not too far off."

So - don't know if the benchmarks are vaild, but in anycase they aren't far wrong....

....which I interperet to mean that they aren't quite as spectacular, but here's to hope ;)

a.
 
Comment

nickmcghie

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
151
0
UCLA
Originally posted by carletonmusic
WWDC - 970 annoucement
July 970 towers released
August - 970 PBs released

hmmm.. i highly doubt they'd release 970 powerbooks one month after debuting the 970 in powermacs.. it would take away some attention from what will arguably be the most dramatic update to the powermac line ever.. if i were to take a wild guess, i'd say at least 6 months
 
Comment

LordNadroj

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2003
3
0
I just ordered a PowerMac G4 Dual 1.42 Ghz with EVERYTHING including two 17 inch monitors. Should I cancel my order? Please respond with what you would do.
 
Comment

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I wouldn't exactly call this a confirmation on the speeds since these are the same numbers for potential speeds that have been tossed around since last August. I think this is maybe a bunch of old news mixed with a small amount of new news and being sold as all new.
 
Comment

kdavis

macrumors member
May 6, 2003
39
0
Maine, USA
I don't know if this is any sort of hint or not...
I attended an Library trade show here in Maine this past weekend and Apple had a booth. I was talking to the (very nice) guy there, lamenting the fact that we don't have an Apple store here in Maine (he said there has been lobbying by employees to get one up here). Anyway, his booth was set up with an eMac, an iMac, a 12" iBook, a 15" iBook and a 15" TiBook. While talking about the iMac, he said, very offhand, that he usually demoed with a minitower but that Apple had "called them back" so he had to use the iMac that day. Don't know what it means, but it seemed kind of odd to me.
 
Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
15,759
4,617
Originally posted by LordNadroj
I just ordered a PowerMac G4 Dual 1.42 Ghz with EVERYTHING including two 17 inch monitors. Should I cancel my order? Please respond with what you would do.

if you need it now... then keep it.

these are all just rumors... no one is certain when... you may be waiting a long time if things don't pan out.

arn
 
Comment

dguisinger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
906
1,388
Originally posted by arn
if you need it now... then keep it.

these are all just rumors... no one is certain when... you may be waiting a long time if things don't pan out.

arn

I always love these questions. If you are reading these forums........you should know the answer. Its not a secret that these machines have been rumored to debut between June and August for the past 3 months. Anyone who knows that, and doesnt have an immediate need, who goes ahead and orders, and then asks in my opinion is a complete idiot. :)

Anyone who knows that, but has an immediate need, is usually smart enough not to ask if they should cancel it because it doesn't serve their purpose.

I don't want to be too harsh, but the answer should be obvious in either case....
1) These are rumors
2) Apple sometimes sneaks announcements by (Like they pretty much did with no knowledge of the 17" upto the night before)
3) Blame yourself, not us. If you ask us for a decision, then you can blame us for wasting your money, or for the delay in your purchase......I'm sorry, your decision, move on, new topic
 
Comment

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
1,141
90
South Orange, NJ
Originally posted by LordNadroj
I just ordered a PowerMac G4 Dual 1.42 Ghz with EVERYTHING including two 17 inch monitors. Should I cancel my order? Please respond with what you would do.

I say stick with what you ordered. The prices on the existing machines is probably going to be a good deal lower than the new 970 based systems. Also, you need to look at this from a global perspective... if the 970 do indeed come out in June-Aug this year, you'll have a dual 1.42 G4 which is plenty fast. By the time they hit the first round of 980's in mid 2004 (or whenever) you'll be ready to upgrade again. By then, all your friends who shelled out for expensive 970's will be groveling because you bought a 980.

You should feel good about that purchase.
 
Comment

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
1,141
90
South Orange, NJ
Originally posted by mim
err...don't mean to flame, but did you read their site?!

It says:

"While we cannot confirm the benchmark results for the PowerPC 970 machines posted by MacBidouille...our sources say the numbers are not too far off."

So - don't know if the benchmarks are vaild, but in anycase they aren't far wrong....

....which I interperet to mean that they aren't quite as spectacular, but here's to hope ;)

a.

yeah, even if they aren't as spectacular as those numbers suggest, we'll still have mac faster than anything in the PC world. That alone is HUGE.
 
Comment

mcs37

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2003
185
1
Washington, DC
Originally posted by Frobozz
By the time they hit the first round of 980's in mid 2004 (or whenever) you'll be ready to upgrade again. By then, all your friends who shelled out for expensive 970's will be groveling because you bought a 980.

Is there such a thing as the PPC 980? I see that in forums everywhere as a joke, but I've never heard about it before.

If you need that system now, stand by your decision. Otherwise wait to see what the WWDC reveals in June.
 
Comment

benoda

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2003
40
0
The only reason I believe the 970 might show up in the powerbook so quickly is simply due to the statement that this year is "the year of the laptop."

Bar that and there's no way I would believe the 970 would show up in a powerbook until next year......
 
Comment

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
1,161
0
Connecticut
Originally posted by Frobozz
I say stick with what you ordered. The prices on the existing machines is probably going to be a good deal lower than the new 970 based systems. Also, you need to look at this from a global perspective... if the 970 do indeed come out in June-Aug this year, you'll have a dual 1.42 G4 which is plenty fast. By the time they hit the first round of 980's in mid 2004 (or whenever) you'll be ready to upgrade again. By then, all your friends who shelled out for expensive 970's will be groveling because you bought a 980.

You should feel good about that purchase.
I disagree with your pricing theory. IBM is going to be using the 970 in their own products, which leads to much higher volume production. Apple can not afford to release the 970 at a premium above what they are charging now. If they do (and they probably will), people will complain LOUDLY. For you bang per buck, the only one Apple could charge a premium for is if the do a dual 1.8GHz or something similar. Myself, I want them to go back to single proc boxes. The only reason the offer duals is because the single G4 machines have been getting stomped on by AMD / Intel for 2 years now.

To the person asking about their order: cancel it. Also, what do you mean by maxed out? Are you talking about the nearly $7500 by the time you add 4 hdd's and all that jazz? If so, you are very foolish to order that right now.

Scratch all of the above if you need this machine in the next week or two. Just don't complain about your buyer's remorse to me! ;)
 
Comment

LordNadroj

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2003
3
0
This is what I bought:

POWER MAC G4 CTO Z079 $3,023.00

Dual 1.42GHz w/2MB L3
065-4189
512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM-1 DIMM
065-3704
120GB Ultra ATA-7200rpm
065-4103
Super (DVD-R/CD-RW)
065-4099
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
065-3921
Ultra SCSI PCI Card & Adptr
065-3232
56K Internal Modem
065-3138
BlueTooth
065-4143
AirPort Card
065-4187

With a few obvious things removed. I also got an extra gig of ram and the two 17 inch monitors.

The monitors have shipped, but the computer hasn't yet. The computer isn't essential right now, but it'd be very nice to have. So you really think I should cancel?
 
Comment

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
531
0
Originally posted by LordNadroj
The monitors have shipped, but the computer hasn't yet. The computer isn't essential right now, but it'd be very nice to have. So you really think I should cancel?

It really depends on what the value is in having a computer right now. Given the problems they had delivering the 17" PowerBook and the rush that might ensue when the 970 PMs are released you might be looking at September before it ships. And who knows what the price will be?

If it's worth waiting 4 months and paying a little more to get the better system, then wait. But that will always be true when buying computers.

Sucks, doesn't it?
:D
 
Comment

pfranzen

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
45
0
London
PPC 980...

PowerPC 970 is the IBM Power 4 derivative...
PowerPC 980 is the IBM Power 5 derivative...

If apple goes with the 970 then its extremely likely that the next major upgrade will be the 980, with as mentioned a High End Power 5 Workstation possible as well; for a PRICE.
 
Comment

macrumors12345

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2003
410
0
Originally posted by mcs37
Is there such a thing as the PPC 980?

It has never been confirmed. I think some site (possibly MacBidouille) just slapped that name onto the possible Power 5 derivative, and then it stuck. Now everybody is using it, even though there is no reason to believe that the processor will be called that (besides common sense), assuming it even exists.

At any rate, there has never been any reliable confirmation that a Power 5 derivative is planned, but it would certainly make sense for them to produce one. So I wouldn't be surprised if they someday produce a PPC derivative of Power 5, and I wouldn't even be shocked if they chose to call it PPC 980. But no one knows.
 
Comment

mim

macrumors 6502
Originally posted by macrumors12345
It has never been confirmed. I think some site (possibly MacBidouille) just slapped that name onto the possible Power 5 derivative, and then it stuck. Now everybody is using it, even though there is no reason to believe that the processor will be called that (besides common sense), assuming it even exists.

At any rate, there has never been any reliable confirmation that a Power 5 derivative is planned, but it would certainly make sense for them to produce one. So I wouldn't be surprised if they someday produce a PPC derivative of Power 5, and I wouldn't even be shocked if they chose to call it PPC 980. But no one knows.

MacB it was indeed, though I think I remember that they got news of it through a page on a German IBM Blade server site...I can't find a cache or mirror to confirm this.

However, for those interested in speculation about relative performace of all these chips, check out this site: http://www.bayarea.net/~kins/AboutMe/CPUs.html

I appologise in advance if this on'es already been done to death.

a.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.