PowerMac and LCD Rumor WrapUp - Winners and Losers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple released PowerMacs and a new LCD monitor today. After such a release, we try to trace back to find where information was first leaked on these projects.

PowerMacs

PowerMac rumors have been relatively scarce in recent months. MacBidouille posted information back in December 2002 that March 2003 may be the delivery time for new PowerMacs... but this diverged from Apple's historic 6-month release intervals for PowerMacs.

The first hard information came in early January with (essentially) knowledge of the next PowerMac revision's top speed (stated at 1.43GHz at that time).

The PowerMac release day was hinted at in our Rumor Roundup with Tuesday, the 28th being a (then) unconfirmed date for new releases of PowerMacs, LCDs and iMacs. The iMac revisions have not yet arrived...

LCD's

Rumors of Apple LCD updates have been ongoing for over a year at this time... with first word mentioned by Railheaddesign in December 2001. At that time a 19" LCD was rumored to be in the pipeline. Whether this was based on speculation or true information, it is possible that Apple's plans were thwarted by rising LCD costs during 2002.

Regardless, dropping the 15" LCD in October 2002, respawned LCD updates but it wasn't until this month that definitive evidence of a 20.1" Apple LCD finally emerged.

New rumor site, MacWhispers, claimed to have specs and prices of the new 20" LCD with a 1600x1024 rez at $1799 with new enclosures -- but this proved to be incorrect, casting doubts on future information from this source.

Accurate pricing information came again in the Rumor Roundup with a "less than $1300" price point reported for the 20" LCD.

Summary

Each introduction from Apple brings a few surprises and while minor information continues to be available, the lead time on rumors have been narrowing. iMac updates are still expected, and hints from the validity of rumors from these PowerMac/LCD revisions will prove to be revealing...

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
We ordered 2 today

But an interesting note (worthy of a new thread?) that was mentioned on TechTV that the rumor for the 23" price drop is that there will be a new model introduced with a HD tuner built in. How 'bout them apples?

mac_audio_freq

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2003
san francisco
I like this site a lot, but I find this gloating to be somewhat unprofessional.

I was hoping the high-end powermac was going to have dual-1.43ghz processors so it could be lovingly called the "powermac 286".

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by mac_audio_freq
I like this site a lot, but I find this gloating to be somewhat unprofessional.
Hmm... the rumor wrapup was never intended to be "gloating" in nature. It's simply meant for readers to follow where information has been accurate. Obviously, being written by me, there will be some natural bias... but nothing, I hope, out of line.

MacWhispers is singled out in this wrapup because 1) they are new and claim to have insider knowledge 2) they made specific (believable) predictions on specs and pricing - which were simply wrong. (Note, MacOSRumors also posted similar specs, but MacWhispers appears to be their source).

Credits are often and gladly given to sites which have provided accurate info. (See Powerbook Wrapup). The majority of information on this site comes from other sites and are always attempted to be credited. This is a two-way street however... and sites will get credit for accurate and inaccurate information.

arn

minimac

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2003
NJ
Originally posted by arn

The majority of information on this site comes from other sites and are always attempted to be credited. This is a two-way street however... and sites will get credit for accurate and inaccurate information.

arn
My first post here, sorry if it's a little off-topic... This site is doing a great job of collecting rumors from the other sites and commenting on them. It's fantastic that you go back and review the accuracy of each of the rumors, especially when new rumor sites pop up wothout a proven track record. I love being able to open NetNewsWire to quickly check macrumors.com for updates, becuase I know if any other sites have been updated, macrumors will have a story about it.

Keep up the good work, and keep the frequent updates coming. Now get back out there and find out when the new iPods/DLDs are coming! ;)

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
Re: PowerMac and LCD Rumor WrapUp - Winners and Losers

Considering that "...lead time on rumors have been narrowing." and "...MacWhispers ... made ... predictions ... which were simply wrong" MacRumors is doing a pretty damn good job.

Arn gives us rumours and claims nothing more for them. When he does claim that info is more than just a rumour it has tended to be correct - here I refer to the last (2002) PowerMac and PowerBook releases.

So say what you will but a 'rumor roundup' is just that - a round up of accurate and inaccurate rumours/predictions.

i_b_joshua

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Wait a sec'--is someone here b*tching about a freakin' RUMOR site? Good lord... I thought I needed to unplug.

Here's a tip: Pull your sorry ass off your chair. Drag your pathetic self to the nearest exit. Step outside. Look up. Take several deep breaths. THERE's A WHOLE WORLD OUT THERE!

<sheesh...>

iTry

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2003
Sheffield, England
Widescreens

Originally posted by dabirdwell
Move the rest to widescreen format also. Use the same screen in the new 15" Powerbooks and the 15" iMacs...
I may be mistaken, but isn't a 17" widescreen just a 15" with sides on? How do apple make a 15" ws big enough?

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Re: Re: PowerMac and LCD Rumor WrapUp - Winners and Losers

Originally posted by i_b_joshua
Considering that "...lead time on rumors have been narrowing." and "...MacWhispers ... made ... predictions ... which were simply wrong" MacRumors is doing a pretty damn good job.

Arn gives us rumours and claims nothing more for them. When he does claim that info is more than just a rumour it has tended to be correct - here I refer to the last (2002) PowerMac and PowerBook releases.

So say what you will but a 'rumor roundup' is just that - a round up of accurate and inaccurate rumours/predictions.

i_b_joshua
Hear, hear! I don't find the roundups gloating at all. Besides all that, Macrumors offers the only real community on a rumour site. Spymac has children playing with photoshop, and a few others have good community spirit but far fewer members or much less varied opinions.

DharvaBinky

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Lafayette, LA
Still wondering on parity guesses

Sooo... does *anyone* have any idea when the 15" Powerbooks will be brought into feature parity with the 12" and 17" version? I really want to buy a 15" Pbook, but don't want to get stuck at the end of a product lifecycle. I realize that if apple puts out deep discounts on 15" models, we can expect a new one soon, but... <shrug> just wondering what the wait time will be... any guesses?

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Re: Still wondering on parity guesses

Originally posted by DharvaBinky
Sooo... does *anyone* have any idea when the 15" Powerbooks will be brought into feature parity with the 12" and 17" version? I really want to buy a 15" Pbook, but don't want to get stuck at the end of a product lifecycle. I realize that if apple puts out deep discounts on 15" models, we can expect a new one soon, but... <shrug> just wondering what the wait time will be... any guesses?
Next week or two is my guess.

Although lead time is still being stated as 1-3 days.

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver
Why widescreen?

Originally posted by dabirdwell
Move the rest to widescreen format also. Use the same screen in the new 15" Powerbooks and the 15" iMacs...
I really don't understand why everyone wants a widescreen display. What do you do more often, watch a widescreen format movie or view a web page? Edit a movie or write a document?

Try browsing the web with no scroll wheel or page down button. Pain in the neck isn't it? That's because web pages, like most business documents, are oriented vertically. A good display for composing and viewing web content would be 1024x2048 oriented with the larger side vertical.

By moving to an all widescreen lineup Apple would be telling the world that the only customers they value are those who spend their days in Final Cut Pro. Widescreen displays raise a large middle finger to anyone who authors websites, writes technical manuals, or basically creates any of the world's written content.

Take a look outside the fruit company once in a while and you'll see an interesting trend, pivoting displays. They allow PC users to get more vertical screen real estate. Unfortunately the driver software is only available for Windows and, based on current trends and the attitudes I see here, always will be.

herocero

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2003
down on the upside
any new apple-pc comparisons?

i hate my pc laptop. i do. i wanna buy a powermac once this dell insipron has outlived it's usefulness.
but . . . somebody check out the new wintel machines. 3.06ghz. dvd-rw at 4x. 8x agp ati 9700 pro. usb 2.0. i need a shot in the arm that my music programs and photoshop and final cut express are gonna run faster on my new powermac.
anybody have a link to some side by side comparisons? you can put mind at ease as a new mac user . . .

cdm

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
Re: Widescreens

Originally posted by iTry

I may be mistaken, but isn't a 17" widescreen just a 15" with sides on? How do apple make a 15" ws big enough?
The 17" comment is generally correct, but technically, you can take any amount of inches, make a screen shorter, then use the extra distance to make it wider.;)

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
Re: any new apple-pc comparisons?

Originally posted by herocero
i hate my pc laptop. i do. i wanna buy a powermac once this dell insipron has outlived it's usefulness.
but . . . somebody check out the new wintel machines. 3.06ghz. dvd-rw at 4x. 8x agp ati 9700 pro. usb 2.0. i need a shot in the arm that my music programs and photoshop and final cut express are gonna run faster on my new powermac.
anybody have a link to some side by side comparisons? you can put mind at ease as a new mac user . . .

cdm
Well, since most music programs and Photoshop can utilize vector processing, the new computer will be about 1/3 faster (plus the fact that Final Cut Express only runs on Mac helps :rolleyes: :D )

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
Re: any new apple-pc comparisons?

Originally posted by herocero

cdm
Here's a benchmark in Photoshop (http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html)

Attachments

achmafooma

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Northern Virginia
Re: Why widescreen?

Originally posted by Bregalad

... A good display for composing and viewing web content would be 1024x2048 oriented with the larger side vertical.

By moving to an all widescreen lineup Apple would be telling the world that the only customers they value are those who spend their days in Final Cut Pro. Widescreen displays raise a large middle finger to anyone who authors websites, writes technical manuals, or basically creates any of the world's written content.

Take a look outside the fruit company once in a while and you'll see an interesting trend, pivoting displays. They allow PC users to get more vertical screen real estate. Unfortunately the driver software is only available for Windows and, based on current trends and the attitudes I see here, always will be.
I've honestly never seen a pivoting display in actual use anywhere. I've seen them advertised, mentioned in passing, etc. but never in use in the real world. I'm not sure that they constitute a "trend" (though I could imagine them being popular in print publishing, if it were available to them. I think they're mostly Mac houses though, so I wouldn't guess they run them now).

As far as screen real estate, with a good widescreen I can have 2 websites up side by side if I want to. Or a Word Doc on the left and a Safari window on the right. Etc,. etc., etc. I run all "old-style" non-widescreens - a 12" iBook on the road and the 17" Apple Studio Display LCD at home - but in my work with widescreens at the Apple store and on my girlfriend's 15" PowerBook I definitely see the appeal.

The 15" PowerBook monitor is barely taller than my iBook's screen, but those few extra horizontal inches make it feel twice the size.

I don't think I'd like a vertically oriented screen... tilting my head up and down to see the stuff on the screen seems a lot less natural than a left-to-right motion on a widescreen.

This is all off-subject anyway - more power to you Arn and MacRumors, I love the rumors and I love these wrapups even more. They expose all the rumor fakers out there :)

macdiehard

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2003
Iowa

Pivots are very practical. I had an old Pivot mac monitor, it was fantastic for writing documents. I look outside the fruit company a lot and there is a lot of interesting stuff. The imac would be perfect for going vertical.

The whole thing with watching movies on your power book as about sizzle, it's a very sexy feature but has very little to do with business productivity unless you are in the motion picture business.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana

How about a "narrowbook" then. It has the keyboard of the 12" alubook which is, what, about 9" wide, but with the 15" display oriented vertically. The hinge is on one end... the keyboard is shifted toward the front with teeny speakers behind it.

I dunno, might be kinda neat. I haven't seen any laptops of any kind with that form factor.

On the iMac, a rotating screen has been suggested many times. If they come out with it, with a 1gig processor, my credit card is ready.:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.