Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edonomicus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
Hello everybody,

I really need help with my PowerMac. It is G4 model (Digital Audio) on 466 MHz with 1 GB of RAM (1x 512 / 2x 256 all of them CL3)
The way of freezing is really weird. It can work 1-2 days without any problems and then out of a blue it starts to freeze. And when it starts it won't stop. Interesting thing is that the system works in a background (system clock) but you can't move the mouse cursor or type anything on a keyboard. Also, when it begins with freezing the mouse cursor goes a little bit then stops for a few seconds then goes further then stops again and so on. Then after a few minutes of agony it freezes for good and I have to restart it.
I tried everything. Changed RAM, mouse, keyboard, reinstalled the system, reseted PRAM, updated Firmware, checked for overheating, turned of all the extensions, made a clean reinstall but nothing helped.

Does anybody know what the problem could be ???

Thank you for your time...

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
I have the same problem with my iMac 400 SE. I think it has to do with my use of airport card/base station for powerbook. After streaming to my powerbook all day it will freeze. Just every once in a while. Very wierd.

gorman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
St. Louis, MO, USA
I have that exact problem as well. It always happens when I am pushing a high rate of data through the Airport card in my Powerbook. I'd really love to hear a solution to this!

frescies

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
edonomicus said:
Hello everybody,

I really need help with my PowerMac. It is G4 model (Digital Audio) on 466 MHz with 1 GB of RAM (1x 512 / 2x 256 all of them CL3)
The way of freezing is really weird. It can work 1-2 days without any problems and then out of a blue it starts to freeze. And when it starts it won't stop. Interesting thing is that the system works in a background (system clock) but you can't move the mouse cursor or type anything on a keyboard. Also, when it begins with freezing the mouse cursor goes a little bit then stops for a few seconds then goes further then stops again and so on. Then after a few minutes of agony it freezes for good and I have to restart it.
I tried everything. Changed RAM, mouse, keyboard, reinstalled the system, reseted PRAM, updated Firmware, checked for overheating, turned of all the extensions, made a clean reinstall but nothing helped.

Does anybody know what the problem could be ???

Thank you for your time...

Changed RAM ey???

Hmmm.....

I'd still run memtest on it. http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17156. Best memory tester in the world, but so far you have to run it from the terminal.

NOTE: DO NOT forget to start into "SAFE BOOT" (by holding shift at startup) before you run this program... bad things happen if you dont

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.