Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pkavan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
hello,

i have a PowerMac G4 733Mhz to which i have 2 Dell 1900FP LCD displays connected to the DVI/ADC ports.

the Dells always run in mirror mode, on both OS9 (9.2.2)/OSX (10.1.3); i want them to run in extended desktop mode, at the very least on OS9. would there be any way to do this? or is this considered most likely a driver problem?

TIA -phil.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Am I right to assume that in the Displays section of System Preferences, there is no option available to switch out of mirror mode?

(You know, first things first -- I once knew someone who "fixed" the server at the NY office of E.F.Hutton back in the late '80s by -- you guessed it -- plugging it back in.)

pkavan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
that's correct, no "Arrange" button is shown in the Monitors control panel...since i've got one of the older PMac's i'm guessing that maybe at the time, this model didn't have a video card that did dual display. does that sound right?

it's a rental machine...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
It shouldn't matter what the displays are, you just need to set the prefs.

I've run dual monitors, monitor and projector, etc. on my powerbooks and desktops. Even my old 233MHz G3 beige box....

D

pkavan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
but my "Monitors/Displays" control/prefs panel does not have an "Arrange" button/tab. what does this mean? the video card doesn't support it?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Are you running OSX or OS9?

In OSX you'll get a 'detect displays' button on the monitors control panel.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.