MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Last night many reader's reported that their PowerMac G5 2.0GHz ship dates slipped back as far as one month.

Readers note ship dates that have moved to 9/26/03 from previous dates of 8/29/03. This includes readers who ordered from many which were placed immediately after the PowerMac announcement (on June 23, 2003)

It appears there was some discrepancies in the system with some dates switching back and forth multiple times over last evening.

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
ugh.... please... just ship the d*** things! come on! I honestly don't care for these "delay" rumors. just tell us when they ship...

Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
That sucks - sorry for all the people who're waiting. Although, this only adds to the track record of delays from Apple on their new release of top end machines.

D

Comment

zoozx

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
ca
I am so sick of Apple doing this. It has become the norm for them to Announce products months before they are available only to push the ship dates after months of waiting.:mad:

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I don't think this means that every 2.0GHz machine is delayed a month.

we'll see what happens.

arn

Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, when the original G4s were announced, they even cancelled all the orders after taking them for a month or two - telling everyone to reorder (for more money) basically losing your place in the queue if you didn't act fast enough.

I got caught in this and was quite pissed. They even sent me the wrong machine, like I wouldn't notice.

So even if its delayed, it could be worse.

D

Comment

Nutzoids

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2003
Philly
I feel like we are being teased...The CompUSA near me has one on display and I overheard a salesman trying to sell one. He said they were sold out, because of there popularity, and they should be getting more in by the end of the week! They are soooo nice up close. I CAN"T WAIT!

Comment

jZilla

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
London
I was told...

By Apple UK that my ship date was "between 26/9 and 17/10" but was then told that Apple were "covering their backs" with that date and that the build was expected much sooner.

"It may well ship sooner" was their parting shot.

Comment

pcp_ip

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2002
my 6/23 order changed to 9/26 this morning and at 11am changed again to 9/29.

It's going to be october before it arrives.

Comment

wondermite

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2003
Duh!

I wrote this yesterday, but people were saying "but Friday is a shipping day!" or some such nonsense.

THEY'RE NOT COMING IN AUGUST, folks. LATE SEPTEMBER.

Macrumors is getting like Spymac--got a thought? Post it to generate traffic!

Comment

10 Goto 10

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
According to someone at 1 800 My Apple

Expect an email explaining what happened to your order later today. Didn't have any info as to why the order was constrained.

Comment

jZilla

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
London
I asked Apple about the likelihood of a store getting them before they shipped by Dualie - they said if I spot one elsewhere I could cancel and grab the store one.

I had trouble placing the order (Apple's fault) and they now tell me I am down as a "priority order".

We'll see :)

Comment

jtizzle

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2003
NJ
My Apple Rep at MACConnection is also doubtfull it will be in any time soon. I wanted to stop using my PC, but I guess it will have to stay for a few more weeks. WHEN IS SOFTIMAGE COMING OUT FOR THE MAC, I want to get rid of PC"s all together.

Comment

jtizzle

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2003
NJ
I remember they did the same thing with the 17" powerbook. It took forever for them to ship them after they were announced. APPLE needs to chill on showing new products to tease us if they are not going to have them ready for several "MONTHS"!

Comment

trog

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2003
Yup, mine just slipped even further too.

It is now 9/29. I'm presently on the phone with an Apple rep that says they will ship the end of september, there will be an email describing the problem later today... and he is offering me $75 to NOT cancel the order.:rolleyes:

Comment

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
so much for that quote the other day that apple was on track to ship in august. i wonder if this is affecting the academic orgs that were rumored to have been getting priority delivery...

Comment

jZilla

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
London
That's my point - I'm apparently in line to get mine when teh Edu ones ship.

Agreed that "selling" these a good 2-3 months before teh lines are up and running is farcical.

Comment

jtizzle

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2003
NJ
TROG llll You should tell the apple rep to up the price to not cancel your order. Good luck, we are all in the same boat!!!

Comment

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by jtizzle
I remember they did the same thing with the 17" powerbook. It took forever for them to ship them after they were announced. APPLE needs to chill on showing new products to tease us if they are not going to have them ready for several "MONTHS"!

I think there are at least two reasons Apple does this: 1) To get an idea of how popular a product is before going into mass production, and 2) It's easier to keep a product that's not in production a secret. If Apple tried to wait until there was a warehouse full of machines before announcing them, it's much more likely that specs would be leaked.

Comment

mikeh123

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2003
London
Well they may have shipped in August but just that most people aren't getting them.

We were told weeks ago that the 3rd week in September was the most likely date. I did post here but seems too many people had faith in the "date".

I still thought we will see substantial numbers well before this date thought. 1st - 2nd week in September but that is just a hunch. Nobody at Apple is giving cast iron dates because as I have said before, they frankly don't really know.

Comment
Hmmmmmmm

Well - what a marvellous introduction to Apple for all the switchers out there...like me, in fact. Mind you, having followed the rumour sites for over 18 months, I can hardly claim ignorance that this might happen.

Let's hope we can put more faith in such statements as "We'll be at 3 Gig by this time next year."

Or maybe Steve meant "by this time (plus three months... ) next year"?

Only kidding...please don't flame me...:D

Brother Mugga

Comment

n00bieriffic

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2003
CompUSA's get dual 2's next friday. With the last 3 apple phone reps telling me that my 9800 was the cause for my delay I'm just going to wait until the retail box comes out for it. I doubt it will be much different money wise. It's also kind of nice not to pay double the standard price for RAM. I understand it's nicer RAM than the generic I can get places like clubmac, macwarehouse and the like, but it's rediculous. I'll just order from kingston myself thanks :) I'll keep checking back on the forums, but I'll be using my dual one week from today and let you know how it is speedwise.

Comment

jZilla

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
London
If they announce a speedbump at Paris Expo (almost entirely unlikely) there'll be wars!

Appreciate the sentiment re secrecy but they took orders and gave 7-10 ship times - clearly unable to hit them. Not good IMO.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.