Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Powermac G5 Hangs when connecting ethernet cable

ihaveaquestin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2020
Hi,

I have this powermac G5 I bought second hand (It's in rather good shape and this is the only issue i found) and I wanted to connect it via ethernet to the network. The problem is that as soon as I try to do something after plugging the cable in, it hangs. I can still move my mouse around, but the application is unresponsive and when i hover over it i get the spinning wheel. I tried to open spotlight to open activity monitor, but as soon as I click on the icon it hangs just as i have explained, it happens with every app i try to open or interact with. The PM has no airport card and is a late 2005 dualcore 2GHz 7gb RAM (I believe the ram was upgraded)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks beforehand.

JP

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
On hardware side, I would try checking the Ethernet port for something like dirtiness, bent pins, etc. Or try changing the Ethernet cable.

On software side, I would try disable any sharing in System Preferences' Sharing. If the problem goes away, I would wipe the HDD and reinstall everything.

Comment

ihaveaquestin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2020
On hardware side, I would try checking the Ethernet port for something like dirtiness, bent pins, etc. Or try changing the Ethernet cable.

On software side, I would try disable any sharing in System Preferences' Sharing. If the problem goes away, I would wipe the HDD and reinstall everything.
Thanks for your help, but the problem persists. I changed ethernet cable, tried both ports and made sure no sync or share options are checked. I’m afraid a reset will be necessary but i really don’t want to loose any data on the HDD, there’s some valuable software that i don’t know if I’ll be able to find out there, so how shall I proceed? Is there a way to save this data and make it work?
(I’m a first time mac user and I don’t really know my way around OSX)

Comment

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
You could add in another hard disk or add another partition via Disk Utility and try a clean Leopard 10.5.x installation just to see whether it is the ethernet cable or the existing installation that is at fault without touching what is already installed.

You can also check Macintoshgarden.org to see whether any of the existing apps you care about are hosted there. It's an abandonware site with all the caveats that entails. So far, the only copyright holder that has asked for takedowns as far as I am aware is EA.

Comment

DeltaMac

macrumors G4
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Shut your PowerMac off.
Plug in the ethernet cable, then boot up again.
Do you still get lockups?

Disconnect the ethernet cable, then open System Preferences/Network pane.
Select Ethernet from the list on the left side.
You should see that the TCP/IP values are blank. Make sure that Configure is set for "Using DHCP"
NOW, plug in your ethernet cable. Don't do anything else, just watch what happens in that pane.
What appears in IP Address?

Comment

ihaveaquestin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2020
You could add in another hard disk or add another partition via Disk Utility and try a clean Leopard 10.5.x installation just to see whether it is the ethernet cable or the existing installation that is at fault without touching what is already installed.

You can also check Macintoshgarden.org to see whether any of the existing apps you care about are hosted there. It's an abandonware site with all the caveats that entails. So far, the only copyright holder that has asked for takedowns as far as I am aware is EA.

I have a 120GB Windows disk, I'll try format it and do a clean install of Leopard 10.5.8, hopefully that works. As far as software goes, thank you for suggesting macintoshgarden.org never heard of it, but will definitely look it up. Thanks a lot!

Two more things to try; remove any third party pcie cards, turn off IPv6

I have no PCIE cards other than the stock 6600LE that came with it, I will try disabling IPv6, Thanks!

Shut your PowerMac off.
Plug in the ethernet cable, then boot up again.
Do you still get lockups?

Disconnect the ethernet cable, then open System Preferences/Network pane.
Select Ethernet from the list on the left side.
You should see that the TCP/IP values are blank. Make sure that Configure is set for "Using DHCP"
NOW, plug in your ethernet cable. Don't do anything else, just watch what happens in that pane.
What appears in IP Address?

If i plug the ethernet before booting, it hangs and never posts to desktop. I use DHCP protocol, and if i plug the ethernet, i see the little light turn green, it says I have internet, but as soon as I click on something, The spinning wheel of death appers (I've decided to call it that) and nothing happens. All apps i interact with hang but i can still move the mouse.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.