Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Users are starting to report significant shipments of PowerMac G5 2.0GHz machines. Many have received them, and others note that Apple Stores have already started receiving them.

Both the Apple Store at The Grove in Los Angeles, CA as well as the Stanford Bookstore have had shipments in which were available to the general public.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
Boy. Too bad mine and maaaaany other people had their orders (some completely stock, some CTO; some consumer, some Edu. Institution) got theirs delayed for more than a MONTH - from 9/23 to 10/29!! Orders placed right after the keynote!

Somewhere in Apple for some unknown reason, certain orders are getting the SHAFT. =(

Comment

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Good news. I certainly hope the people who pre-ordered them got them before those stores which are offering them to the general public got them. I would be really irked if I had plopped down three grand 3 months early just to get some joe shmoe walk into an apple store and pick one up.

Comment

dguisinger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by Genie
They seem to be coming in regularly now.

What's sad is i just looked through all those photos. Its so cool, if you have a fast enough connection its like a flip book. God my life is pethetic :)

Comment

Genie

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2003
heaven
Originally posted by arn
great pix... how is it to use? :)

arn

I haven't got much time on it yet-

The usb hubs I have don't seem to work with its usb ports...
Will report more tomorrow.
Thanks for not laughing at my silly pics...

Comment

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
swedish shipment 7-10 days!

At our Swedish apple store - it says 7 -10 days from purchase to shipment...

so - it's definately moving :)

genie: what are you doing with your hair? ;) it looks like it's really windy inside :D

Comment

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Re: swedish shipment 7-10 days!

Originally posted by freddiecable
genie: what are you doing with your hair? ;) it looks like it's really windy inside :D

No, shes just being blown away by her new mac. :p

Comment

Golem

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
Sydney,Australia
At the apple Australia store it says 1-2 days for 1.6ghz but their are still people waiting from over two months ago:(

Not me luckily as I ordered my 1.6 at the same time as my pbook 1.25 but I dont expect it in less than 2 weeks.

Comment

Genie

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2003
heaven
There's a fan blowing on me because it's a warm day and the lights are so hot- and I'm so excited about finally getting the G5 after a 3 month wait!

Opening it was really fun- most fun I've ever had opening a box, I think!

Comment

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
It's here!

Just got my new, 2 GHz, G5 w/the radeon 9800. Ram is arriving tomorrow to go up to 2.5Gig. New 23" display should be arriving next week (have 17" now).

Installed Indesing, Photoshop, Acrobat pro and Illustrator. Did some testing on Photoshop start up time (only 512MB ram in the G5 right now). Compared it to a 733Mhz G4, 768MB ram. Oh, and did not install the Photoshop G5 advanced plugin. Both machines had Photoshop installed exactly the same as well.

G4 - 12 sec.
G5 - 8 sec

I know this doesn't say much, but I just had to get a feel for it. Can't wait to play more. I will try to post some comparable numbers opening actual files later.

However, aftering seeing Genie's pics, my G5 just doesn't seem quite as sexy now. ;)

Comment

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
Excelent Pics! Congratulations on the purchase! Did you really maxed it out to 8GB RAM? How does the beast react with 8GB? Im so jealous! :)

I don't think she did max it out to 8GB ram. The ram from her pictures is from Crucial.com. They do not have 1GB ram for the G5 - yet. I just ordered my ram today and it was not available. I could be wrong - Genie?

I searched all over the net for 1GB ram modules. Difficult to find and very $$$. 2.5GB is good enough for me, right now.

Comment

esheep2001

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Well "shipping" is a bit of a joke here in Europe.

I'm based in the UK near London and my Dual G5 "shipped" on Monday (22nd). Unfortunately, I decided to get Apple Care at the same time and that means that the machine that was built in Cork, Ireland has to go all the way to Luxembourg to be "merged" with the Apple Care. It is then sent back to me.

At the moment, Apple tell me that it's in Luxembourg being "merged" and that I should get it next Monday! 7 days, just because I wanted something that is intangible! I wouldn't mind if it was picking up an essential component but APP is just a piece of paper surely!

Ugh! I will never buy a machine and other components from the Apple store again. After 3 months (yes mine was 6/23 order) of waiting, I'm having to go through this now! Never again, I have sworn no more pre-orders and certainly no machine + other bits from the Apple store. Machine on it's own from now on and only if I want a CTO.

e.

Comment

trilogic

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2001
Switzerland
shipped

I checked my order on thuesday and it said shipped.

I'm afraid I won't get my dual before this weekend, but it should arrive next week.

Comment

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
sounds like poor logistics ;)

Originally posted by esheep2001
Well "shipping" is a bit of a joke here in Europe.

I'm based in the UK near London and my Dual G5 "shipped" on Monday (22nd). Unfortunately, I decided to get Apple Care at the same time and that means that the machine that was built in Cork, Ireland has to go all the way to Luxembourg to be "merged" with the Apple Care. It is then sent back to me.

At the moment, Apple tell me that it's in Luxembourg being "merged" and that I should get it next Monday! 7 days, just because I wanted something that is intangible! I wouldn't mind if it was picking up an essential component but APP is just a piece of paper surely!

Ugh! I will never buy a machine and other components from the Apple store again. After 3 months (yes mine was 6/23 order) of waiting, I'm having to go through this now! Never again, I have sworn no more pre-orders and certainly no machine + other bits from the Apple store. Machine on it's own from now on and only if I want a CTO.

e.

Comment

esheep2001

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by freddiecable
sounds like poor logistics ;)

Sounds like a comedic farce more like :)

What concerns me most, though, is the amount of unecessary vibration the unit is receiving during all this. It cannot do it any good, no matter how good the packaging is.

The whole thing is just stupid!

e.

Comment

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Originally posted by esheep2001
The whole thing is just stupid!

Ahh, just like a jilted lover you will forgive Apple once the big G5 box'a'chocolates arrives on your doorstep - you will be blinded by love/lust!

Comment

esheep2001

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by mvc
Ahh, just like a jilted lover you will forgive Apple once the big G5 box'a'chocolates arrives on your doorstep - you will be blinded by love/lust!

:)

I still feel like that over my 18 month old iMac 800Mhz FP! Unfortunately, my hate for the Apple store UK will endure until they do some serious sorting out of their unbelievably pathetic so called logistics!

DO NOT BUY FROM APPLESTORE!

e.

Comment

JOHNGAETANO

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Akron, Ohio
Got mine last Thursday. I have had little time with it, but enough to play Medal of Honor a few times ;) . WOW, WOW, WOW is it fast.

Like Genie said, opening the box was fun. Reminded me of the day I got my Newton 2000.

I wish I could switch all our office computers over to duals.

See ya

JOHN

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by JOHNGAETANO

Like Genie said, opening the box was fun. Reminded me of the day I got my Newton 2000.

Wow.... now THAT was a best thing to open/play with for the first time (Newton 2000). I wish I had taken pics of me opening my Newton at the time. :)

arn

Comment

Sebastian

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
i ordered mine mid august, and it shipped last night. 'course, i'm leaving for a few days on business and won't be here when it arrives.. gah!!!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.