PowerMacs, iMacs and LCD Rumor Roundup

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Rumors continue to trickle in as we wait for the newest updates to Apple's hardware.

MacWorld San Francisco 2003 brought us unexpected updates to the Powerbook line with 12" and 17" models introduced... while the iMac line untouched.

iMac

The iMac was last updated in July 2002 with the introduction of the 17" iMac, but hasn't enjoyed signficant speed bumps since January 2002.

iMac revisions were widely expected prior to MacWorld San Francisco with various sites posting speculative details on the upgrades.

Upgraded iMacs are reported to be updated to 1 GHz speeds with Bluetooth and Airport Extreme capabilities built in to mirror the recent Powerbook updates. Some unconfirmed rumors have reported that the iMacs will receive price drops.... and one known source cryptically claiming the new iMacs will be "worth the money".

PowerMacs

If Apple stays true to its recent history of PowerMac updates, we can expect PowerMac speed bumps approximately every 6 months. Last PowerMac update occured in August, bringing us soon into the 6th month.

Very few details about PowerMac upgrades have been revealed -- with most attention being focused on the iMacs in the rumor scene. One thing we know is that the new PowerMac updates will top out at Dual 1.43 GHz (though bus speeds multiplers seem to work out to 1.42 GHz)

Apple LCDs

An Apple 20.1 inch display is expected with possible prices/specs detailed by MacWhispers. The only true time frame provided has been from Spymac with a discontinuation of the current 22inch "by March".

So When?

From our best sources, the only hints we've received have been "next few weeks" for the iMacs and "on the way" for the PowerMacs. ThinkSecret has suggested that "iMacs and other hardware" upgrades are tentatively expected the week of February the 3rd.

Some unconfirmed rumors claim that this Tuesday (Jan 28th, 2003) will be the date for the release of everything described above. They also mentions a less than $1300 price for the 20.1" LCD and $1799 for the top iMac. As an unconfirmed rumor, it should be taken as such.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
eMacs??

My cousin it looking to buy a new eMac very soon and has been delaying his purchase until after the updates. Anyone know anything about updated eMacs? I guess if iMac prices drop enough he might get one of those

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I think most of these rumours have a great deal of truth to them, and I'm sure we'll be seeing the iMac updates in February; a new Apple Display product, like rumours have stated; PowerMac speed bumps and FW2 + bluetooth; etc. However, the only reason I seem so positive about the iMac and PowerMac updates is because of the natural progression of things. What type of speed bump were expected in the iMac's if it wasn't to 1Ghz!!! I think its obvious that the next iMac update would be to this speed.

People have been "leaking" information like this out because it has a very high probability of being true. Most people here can make up these types of rumours and have a 50% chance of them becoming true. Imac's will have FW2 and Bluetooth? Of course they will. Why wouldn't Apple want their computers NOT to have FW2 when Apple is the main reason for its popularity? If Apple doesn't adopt this technology, then nobody will. There are so many rumours, and yet there's also nothing shocking about the content of the rumours.

The only rumour I don't see coming true are price drops on iMacs, or any other Apple product except possibly the displays. Apple sells expensive products. They won't reduce prices because people buy their products anyway. Anyone who has the money to even consider buying an iMac with Superdrive won't care about the $100 discount. I'm sure it sounds great to save money, but it won't make or break the buying decision. Most people who want an iMac will buy one regardless of a small price drop. And if there was a price drop, it won't be major. Mac customers buy Macs because they're Macs, not because they're cheap. I don't think there is going to be a price-drop, but if there is, then it will be very small in comparison to the ridiculous prices of an iMac, eMac, PowerMac, iPod, etc...

I have a question: I have always thought of the eMac as an iMac with a worse screen, but with better hardware for a cheaper price. So for the price you pay for a midrange iMac, you could buy an eMac without the flatpanel monitor, but with a faster cpu and a superdrive. Basically, it has a better performance:cost ratio than the iMac. Do you think that if the iMac's are updated soon (in February) that eMacs will get a parallel upgrade at the same time? Looking at the specs of both machines, it would make sense, wouldn't it?

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
PowerBook ship dates - What gives?!

I placed an order for a 12" PowerBook (SuperDrive model with 60 GB so it's a BTO). When I placed the order the wait was 2-3 weeks. The order status page still says by Feb. 19th.

Today, I checked wait times at the Apple Store online and it now says 12"'s in 1-3 DAYS - and 15" in 30 days.

I might have gone for the 15" but I expected it's be out in late March or April as the 17" was originally quoted to be.

Does anyone know if Apple allow me to change a BTO order?

moby1

p.s. I saw the 12" at my local Apple Store last night. Very slick. I did note that although the aluminium books are supposed to not chip the surface does attract dirty fingerprints like crazy. When I got there it looked like it'd been handled by dock workers.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Abstract
I have a question: I have always thought of the eMac as an iMac with a worse screen, but with better hardware for a cheaper price. So for the price you pay for a midrange iMac, you could buy an eMac without the flatpanel monitor, but with a faster cpu and a superdrive. Basically, it has a better performance:cost ratio than the iMac. Do you think that if the iMac's are updated soon (in February) that eMacs will get a parallel upgrade at the same time? Looking at the specs of both machines, it would make sense, wouldn't it?
The iMac has a better screen, better hardware and if you remember apple wanted the eMac *not* to fight over profits from the iMac.
eMac - Educational mac
:three days later after 3 mac users sarcasically say they want to buy one:
eMac - Everyone mac!

The eMacs might get a small bump, but I can't imagine apple releasing anything huge because they want the eMac to be their worse model.

BTW, if you read a current topic in the forums (search for it) there are a couple plagueing problems with the eMac so watch out.

I would put it off buying iMac/PowerMac intill apple release something in late Jan- Early Feb.

avus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2002
Re: PowerBook ship dates - What gives?!

Originally posted by moby1
I placed an order for a 12" PowerBook (SuperDrive model with 60 GB so it's a BTO). When I placed the order the wait was 2-3 weeks. The order status page still says by Feb. 19th.

Today, I checked wait times at the Apple Store online and it now says 12"'s in 1-3 DAYS - and 15" in 30 days.

I checked them today and I am afraid that you had them in reverse - it's 30 days for the 12"'s (from 2-4 weeks) and 1-3 days for the 15"'s.

One thing I noticed at Apple Store was that the PC2100 512MB RAM for the 12"'s is priced at $150 - quite reasonable, as the cheapest one according to RAM Seeker is $149.45. Will this be the first sign that the RAM prices at Apple Store would be finally competitive?

Art Vandelay

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2003
Updates definitely seem probable real soon. The ship times on iMacs and PowerMacs have all increased. iMacs are up from 1-2 days to 5-7 days. PowerMacs are up from same day to anywhere from 1-3 days to 4-6 weeks depending on model.

yosoyjay

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2002
Canada
1.43 G4

Now I've heard people say that the G4 included in PowerMacs running at 1.25 is overclocked, but I've also heard people refute this claim. So I went over to Motorola's website and found the operating specs for the 7455 and the max operating frequency is listed as 1000MHz.

How in the heck are they going to release 1.43GHz G4s?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
eMac : $1,499.00
800MHz PowerPC G4
17-inch flat CRT display
256MB SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA drive
SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
56K internal modem

iMac: $1,499.00

700MHz PowerPC G4
15-inch LCD flat screen
CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
256MB SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA hard drive
56K internal modem

@MrMacnan: This is all I was talking about. Yes, the iMac has a better screen, but in terms of everything else, I think that the eMac wins when comparing price to performance. However, since they both have the same range in processor speeds at 700-800 Mhz, hard drive options, and the same number of FW and USB ports, I was just wondering whether this would continue, and whether or not the iMac and eMac will be upgraded in unison. It just makes sense, since they have the same options for everything except the monitor and style. The eMac may not be as nice as the iMac, but that's what people give up if they want a better overall computer --- the esthetics of the iMac for performance. Well, that's my interpretation when I look at the numbers.

And in response to Art Vandelay's reply above, if the shipment times on iMacs increased from 1-2 days to 5-7 days, it may not mean anything unless Apple actually plans to upgrade the iMacs within the next 2 days, and then surprises everyone with an upgraded iMac in 5-7 days. I'm sure most people won't mind the 4-5 day bump in shipment times if they are getting a better computer. ;) But I really think it means nothing, since the shipment times were bumped so little..

The Powermacs? If the bump is from 1-3 days to 4-6 weeks, THAT is very significant. It definitely sounds like a speed bump is coming very soon for these machines, and they're just building these new machines and will give you the updated computer if you ordered recently.

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
Re: Re: PowerBook ship dates - What gives?!

Originally posted by avus

I checked them today and I am afraid that you had them in reverse - it's 30 days for the 12"'s (from 2-4 weeks) and 1-3 days for the 15"'s.
Nope, I just re-checked it and it says "30 days" for the 15" & "1-3 days" for the 12" but maybe Apple has it backwards today.

moby1

Art Vandelay

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2003
Originally posted by Abstract

And in response to Art Vandelay's reply above, if the shipment times on iMacs increased from 1-2 days to 5-7 days, it may not mean anything unless Apple actually plans to upgrade the iMacs within the next 2 days, and then surprises everyone with an upgraded iMac in 5-7 days. I'm sure most people won't mind the 4-5 day bump in shipment times if they are getting a better computer. ;) But I really think it means nothing, since the shipment times were bumped so little..

The Powermacs? If the bump is from 1-3 days to 4-6 weeks, THAT is very significant. It definitely sounds like a speed bump is coming very soon for these machines, and they're just building these new machines and will give you the updated computer if you ordered recently.
The 5-7 day ship time is not necessarily for the new model. It just gives them leeway in announcing a new model and not shipping the old one. The PowerBooks had similar shipping time increases in Nov. before the new ones, yet the new ones had 3-4 week ship times. Since the ship time increased across the board for all iMacs, I'd say an update is definite.

Art Vandelay

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2003
Re: Re: Re: PowerBook ship dates - What gives?!

Originally posted by moby1

Nope, I just re-checked it and it says "30 days" for the 15" & "1-3 days" for the 12" but maybe Apple has it backwards today.

moby1
I just checked it and it's 30 days for 12" and 1-3 days for 15".

PaisanoMan

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2003

Actually, moby1's right -- if you go all the way through the process (to the final confirmation screen), the PowerBook 12" with SuperDrive is quoted to be shipped in 1-3 days! That contradicts the information on the model select screen, however.

I can only hope that means my 12" BTO order (about 2.5 weeks old) will be on its way.

squatch

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2003
Because they will probably be 7457

Now I've heard people say that the G4 included in PowerMacs running at 1.25 is overclocked, but I've also heard people refute this claim. So I went over to Motorola's website and found the operating specs for the 7455 and the max operating frequency is listed as 1000MHz.

How in the heck are they going to release 1.43GHz G4s?
Because more than likely they will be some variant of the proposed 7457 architecture which had blueprints posted temporarily by Motorola before being removed for some strange reason. It will probably top off at 1.5 Ghz.

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
Re: Because they will probably be 7457

Originally posted by squatch

Because more than likely they will be some variant of the proposed 7457 architecture which had blueprints posted temporarily by Motorola before being removed for some strange reason. It will probably top off at 1.5 Ghz.
I have a feeling the 970 is going to be announced very soon. If you look at the specifications PDF on IBM's website you'll see that the first batch are supposed to run from 1.4 - 1.8Ghz.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

One thing I noticed at Apple Store was that the PC2100 512MB RAM for the 12"'s is priced at $150 - quite reasonable, as the cheapest one according to RAM Seeker is $149.45. Will this be the first sign that the RAM prices at Apple Store would be finally competitive?
You have to remember that when buying a 512 MB module, you're no longer buying the original 128 MB module. Therefore you're actually paying $150 for 384 MB.

squatch

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2003
Re: Re: Because they will probably be 7457

Originally posted by ELYXR

I have a feeling the 970 is going to be announced very soon. If you look at the specifications PDF on IBM's website you'll see that the first batch are supposed to run from 1.4 - 1.8Ghz.
I would most definitely hope so, but from what I keep reading at various sites (including this one) full production won't begin until 2nd or 3rd quarter of this year.

I wonder if these new IBM G3 chips coming out will have a compatible Altivec architecture with it???? Anyone know?

msxgames

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2003
Upgrades must arrive soon. All iMacs at the FNAC in Lille (France) are at 10% discount compared to retail price... surely not for nothing !

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by msxgames
Upgrades must arrive soon. All iMacs at the FNAC in Lille (France) are at 10% discount compared to retail price... surely not for nothing !
The problem with FNAC is that, very often the machines are not even up to date!!! (In september/october a friend of mine was looking for a 17" iMac, they weren't shipping it with Jaguar!!!). Also I checked the one in Grenoble midyear last year the TiBooks were the 550/667 as opposed to the 667/800... Talk about retailers doing a good job at promoting Apple products...

NicoMan

msxgames

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2003
True FNAC is not the best Apple retailer in France but they were displaying the new powerbooks already.
And, people tend to buy their Apple hardware there because their 'Service Après-Vente' is the best you can ever find - your friend should have returned it and I'm sure he would have gotten a decent solution.

Anyhow, I don't think the problem lies with FNAC - but with Apple. No wonders Macs have not even 2% market share when the only 'decent' shops are Apple Centers. FNAC Brussels don't even have a half-dozen Mac software in its shelves. To buy e.g. a Mac game, the only solution in Belgium is to buy it online out of the UK! For professional software, it's almost the same.

Plus, a drop in prices would be very much welcome - we are already paying 30% more in Europe than in the US - and if things do not change rapidly, we shall see prices about 50% higher than in the US since the Euro is becoming stronger and stronger by the day (today a 17" Powerbook costs $1,303 more in Europe! or let's put it in another way, if you would buy a 17" Powerbook in the States it would come to receiving a free eMac in addition).

I am looking to buy a new iMac soon, but it's the very first time that I am really thinking to switch to the other world. Apple takes us for fools.

Plus (off-topic), I am laughing at Apple's advertising efforts, when I have not seen a single commercial in the papers or on the tv for ages (I think the last commercials I saw in Belgium date of the old iMac line!).

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
Re: Re: Re: Because they will probably be 7457

Originally posted by squatch
I wonder if these new IBM G3 chips coming out will have a compatible Altivec architecture with it???? Anyone know?
If you add an AltiVec unit to a G3, you basically have a G4, in a raw sense, there is more to it, but it seems a pointless task to research all the engineering to add that, when you could just use the G4, R&D pretty much already done.

Apple will stop using the G3 in the iBook as soon as the 970 gets in the PowerBook, at least one year from the 970 in the PM though, summer/fall 2004.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.