PowerMacs in August?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Wow...uselessness overcomes with translation of quality poor! With über-Google hoping for usefull feature I am not.

Interesting article, but why would my jelly overflow in August? Having no sense with the MacYërld in July is it.

OK, I'll stop now. I can't wait until those "translation" websites actually work...:rolleyes:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I think that it is possible that new Powermacs will be announced AFTER MacWorld New York. The Expo in San Fransisco announced no new Powermacs there, but rather fifteen days later. And since the Expo for New York will take place in mid month www.macworldexpo.com it is likely that new PowerMacs will be released right from the start of August.

By the way, if we are going to discuss about if it will be a G4 or G5, try not to make it a war!

It does not take a genius to figure it out . . . just someone who uses a Mac.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
It doesn't make sense (not the translation) that Apple would roll out a G5 only a month after the show...

Unless its announced in July with delivery in August.

This sound familliar???

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by dukestreet
It doesn't make sense (not the translation) that Apple would roll out a G5 only a month after the show...

Unless its announced in July with delivery in August.

This sound familliar???
That's what I said...sort of...:D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by King Cobra
By the way, if we are going to discuss about if it will be a G4 or G5, try not to make it a war!

No war, just polite discussion. I'm not totally sold on the G5, but things just seem to be coming together. Tomorrow's event with Alias/Wavefront could be a good indication. I can't wait to find out.

Apple will most likely make as big a deal about it as possible.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002

No war, just polite discussion. I'm not totally sold on the G5, but things just seem to be coming together. Tomorrow's event with Alias/Wavefront could be a good indication. I can't wait to find out.

Great. I simply brought up this possibility of a flame war just in case some guys seem to get roudy.

As for the Alias/Wavefront Conference I look forward to visiting Apple's website tomorrow and finding a new . . . well, whatever. It is a possibility.

And, I agree. I just do not see Apple releasing a G5 in August. Apple has other plans for other chips.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

As for the Alias/Wavefront Conference I look forward to visiting Apple's website tomorrow and finding a new . . . well, whatever. It is a possibility.

remember... it might have nothing to do with Apple...

arn

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by arn

remember... it might have nothing to do with Apple...
but this is the macrumors site, and the possiblilities of this little thread are way too cool to pass up comment on.

Rocketman

macrumors 603

MY OFFICIAL PREDICTION

Since Apple has a habbit of under delivering as compared to expectation and rumour, let me predict this:

G5 actually released in 2002. Positioned as super high end and as server CPU's available mostly to vertical markets. It is MP on a chip after all.

G4 has legs. It is speed bumped to about 150Mhz and Steeviepoo is pissed at the demo since he was hoping for 3.4 Ghz and was skunked. He tosses a Firewire 2 400mhz bus Powermac off the stage because it crashes on a 2.0 Mhz prototype CPU (available any month now).

Powermacs are still twice as fast in practice as shipping Intel CPU's. Steeviepoo ignores that because it is not sufficiently insanely great.

PC wannabees start actually switching because they can run all their legacy applications on their G4 (imac or Powermac) for only $100 more including two of the most popular windows versions on a special offer by Virtual PC.

Linux/Sun farm owners start buying Macs as their admin hub for their server farms. They buy as many 2U G5's as they can get, which is not nearly enough for demand.

Rocketman

Brent Turbo

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2002
Boston, MA
Hey, guess what?!?! New PowerMacs are comi.... ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........

If you say it every facking week, it's going to be right eventually.

freedom

macrumors member
ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz…

Go Brent Turbo, Go!
This is actually getting out of hand.
Everyone seems to have their own
predictions about upcoming powermacs.

Dear Jeebus!

Start your own bleedin´thread and post
as many "I believe/hope/think/wish" as
you like.
It´s still not a rumour, just wishful thinking.
Air it somewhere else!
…Not really intending to flame, but some people
should get a hold of themselves, right?

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
i thought the translation was wonderful i particularly like:
Naja, which one can say to it? Goodbye MPEG4! Second knee broken, which war's dannn probably already, have now already against Windows Media lost you, because there gibt's (it competition gives now, so long) no royalties for audio and video! It is sometimes genuine for despairing...
and of course the most interesting part (the part about the powermacs:
Besides Apple probably brings a new professional computer out, which facilitates the work of the advertising economy clearly in August and will accelerate.
but no truer word have u heard from a rumor than:
It is sometimes genuine for despairing...

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
I think we will see Powermacs announced @ NY and released a few weeks after (Same as the QuickSilver)

Ensign
You think or you want? The difference being one is grounded in reality and the other is a cry of desperation. ;)

Lethal

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
You think or you want? The difference being one is grounded in reality and the other is a cry of desperation. ;)
Desperation or not, no planets are aligning in July for this event, but the rumor mill keeps churning out little tidbits here and there.

Its unfortunate about the German post. With the translation being mostly gibberish, it leaves us with almost unlimited possibilities in interpretation. Sure, everyone would like to see a G5 soon. And from one source, its hard to draw any concrete conclusions. There seems to be more of a lack of sources, which in my mind indicates increased security on information, so I'm betting somethings going to happen in July.

Biggles

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
Ohio
I don't know about you guys, but I'm really expecting the dual 1.4 ghz G4's with a 400mhz system bus in MWNY. Ive heard a number of rumors on different sites, and they just all seem to connect with this.

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by Biggles
I don't know about you guys, but I'm really expecting the dual 1.4 ghz G4's with a 400mhz system bus in MWNY. Ive heard a number of rumors on different sites, and they just all seem to connect with this.
the sad thing is that even though that would be an amazing speed bump, it's still a lot slower than what i would want.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
I think that it is possible that new Powermacs will be announced AFTER MacWorld New York. The Expo in San Fransisco announced no new Powermacs there, but rather fifteen days later. And since the Expo for New York will take place in mid month www.macworldexpo.com it is likely that new PowerMacs will be released right from the start of August.
The mid month/first of the month thing doesn't aply here. The only reason the powermacs were announced after MWSF was to give the new baby some room to breathe. The iMac needed a lot of press to be as successful as the first one, so announcing new towers would have stolen a little bit of the thunder or given something else to write about.

Alias/Wavefront? I hear massive price drops to make them more accessible are in the works. Bringin' em down from high end post houses to almost anyone's house...but we'll see.

engpjp

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2002
The real meaning of that message

The part of the Cancom message that MacGuardians discusses in such detail, is:
"Zudem bringt Apple wohl im August einen neuen Profirechner heraus"
A proper translation would be:
"Furthermore, Apple will presumably introduce a new Professional model in August."
The keyword is "wohl", which in this context has the meaning given above. Clearly, as several messages in this string have already pointed out, this is a forecast and not something based on insider knowledge. Also, the discussion brought up in MacGuardians is not so much about which models might be introduced as whether the message from Cancom indicates a preferential treatment on behalf of Apple. Cancom has been heavily criticized in the German Apple community, along with what has been seen as Apple's (too) close ties with them...

Should MacRumors want to investigate matters based on German, Scandinavian, Turkish or French text material, they are welcome to contact me first.

Regards,

Peter J. Pedersen
pjp@ultratv.net

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: The real meaning of that message

Originally posted by engpjp
Clearly, as several messages in this string have already pointed out, this is a forecast and not something based on insider knowledge

Should MacRumors want to investigate matters based on German, Scandinavian, Turkish or French text material, they are welcome to contact me first.
Thanks for the clarification (and offer) Peter... it's appreciated.

arn

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: The real meaning of that message

Originally posted by engpjp

I think you should sign up as the official Teutonic translator for MacRumors.

I'm really glad you stepped up and cleaned the translation. It puts it in a much better perspective, less to speculate on misinterpreted articles.

Thanks.