Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

PowerMacs - June 8th, 2004

iBot

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
rev B - no fanfare

If the rev B G4 Powermacs fall short of the 3GHz threshold (and they probably will), Jobs will want to avoid fanfare.

Comment

johnnowak

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2003
New York, New York
Wonder Boy said:
i hope im right when i say "no way". rev b g5s are a big deal. steve wont let the announcement pass with little to no fanfare.

He'll cover them at WWDC anyway. Perhaps he just wants to get it out of the way so he's not talking about them the whole time and has time for like.. you know.. developer issues. This isn't MWSF people.

Comment

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
Wonder Boy said:
i hope im right when i say "no way". rev b g5s are a big deal. steve wont let the announcement pass with little to no fanfare.

Not if they don't reach 3.0GHz... Steve may want to avoid the subject and focus on Tiger and the G5 iMacs.

Comment

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Wonder Boy said:
Maybe they don't want a lot of fanfare, especially if the 3Ghz ones are not ready yet.

Comment

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
please ... no powermac tomorrow ... let it be 3ghz at wwdc
.a

Comment

LuniX

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2004
Netherlands
Would be nice if he didn't mention it would be tomorrow, I probably can't fall asleep now :D . And if they do have a 3.0 Ghz you won't hear me complaining about the price. if it's not 3.0 Ghz a lower price would be nice.

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
hmm, powermacs tomorrow so that imac G5s can come at WWDC? I don't think he'd do *both* at WWDC, and an all new imac is probably a bigger deal than powermac updates.

and more importantly... displays along with powermacs tomorrow??? I want a new cinema display; come on apple!

Comment

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
.a said:
please ... no powermac tomorrow ... let it be 3ghz at wwdc
.a
Why?

Didn't Apple say a long time ago that they wanted to stop releasing products only at the big events to try to avoid the roller-coaster sales figures that always sag for months before an event?

Besides, if the release now, they can (hopefully) crow about how many orders they have received "already" by the WWDC keynote.

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
If true, seems like a G5 iMac is a sure thing for WWDC. He needs some exciting hardware to announce. New displays just won't cut it nor will an iPod related announcement.

Comment

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Tiger not G5 at WWDC

I agree with this statement - let's forget about that little promise made last year and focus on how Tiger will make the speed issue of little relevance as a 2 gig on 10.3 will run like a 4 gig on OS 10.4....etc etc....

regardless I'm buying on the day they are release/announced. Be it tomorrow or next year - but not before.

IJ

micvog said:
Not if they don't reach 3.0GHz... Steve may want to avoid the subject and focus on Tiger and the G5 iMacs.

Comment

klaus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
Belgium
rdowns said:
If true, seems like a G5 iMac is a sure thing for WWDC. He needs some exciting hardware to announce. New displays just won't cut it nor will an iPod related announcement.

It' so aaawfully quiet about the new displays, no rumors on specs, design, nothing..

silence before the storm?

about the 3ghz promise, if updates are released tomorrow, ranging from 2.2-2.8?, than nothing holds Steve back from announcing 3 ghz at the end of the summer, as an addition to the current line.

I don't think many of us will wait if they can get a 2.8 now, and a 3.0 within 3 months? I know I wouldn't, cause the speed difference will be negligable, unless the architecture that comes with the 3ghz (975-980?) will be of such a nature that a huge increase in performance arises.. but I doubt that

Comment

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
klaus said:
It' so aaawfully quiet about the new displays, no rumors on specs, design, nothing..

silence before the storm?

He he... that's because they are gorgeous as they are now....

we are waiting for (even) faster G5's, and even an iMac G5!
Displays are not in gr8 need of updating. It'll still be nice though!

Comment

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Arn's really busy...

Attachments

• Busy.jpg
    Busy.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 855
Comment

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
I think that there will probably be new Power Macs announced before the WWDC, but they will not be 3 GHz. Just my intuition, for what it's worth...

Comment

Frobozz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Macrumors said:
According to a couple of sources, Apple should update PowerMac G5s tomorrow - June 8th 2004.

Meanwhile, one specific source indicates that 2 new products will appear on this Tuesday.

Recent rumors have pointed towards an all dual lineup with a slightly modified internal case design.

As much as it pains me to say it, the G5 iMac may be a bigger announcement for Apple than a faster G5 PowerMac--- no matter how fast the PowerMac is.

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
MacsRgr8 said:
He he... that's because they are gorgeous as they are now....

we are waiting for (even) faster G5's, and even an iMac G5!
Displays are not in gr8 need of updating. It'll still be nice though!

:eek:
displays are in *desperate* need of an update. It's been more than a year since the 20" was introduced, and the 17" and the 23" have been out so long it's an embarrassment. Apple displays are some of the least adjustable out there, and at this point their specs are truly pathetic compared to cheaper competitors. I'll concede that the imac is even more in need of an update, but the displays *must* be updated soon!

Comment

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
After a lackluster first quarter for PowerMacs Apple really needs to do well in the second quarter. By releasing the PowerMacs now instead of at WWDC Apple will allow for several weeks to get the word out and have thje new orders on the second quarter books.

Comment

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
iBot said:
If the rev B G4 Powermacs fall short of the 3GHz threshold (and they probably will), Jobs will want to avoid fanfare.

This is interesting. It could go either way. either iBot's approach or possibly Jobs has so many things to introduce or talk about that fitting a simple PowerMac update might not be worth introducing vs simply mentioning since it was release a few weeks earlier.

It really depends on if you are a glass is half full or half empty kinda person.

I still hanging onto the strand of hope for a fall G5 PowerBook release so I'm going to keep my glass full here. :)

Comment

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Apple has a history of only showing all new stuff at the expo's, when they bump up stuff they simply do it with little fanfare. My biggest problem is going to be base Powermac rev-B or Imac G5 Top Model, man this will be a tough.( in response to frobozz)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.