PowerPC 970 at 90nm and the Power5

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
A Japanese news blurb reports that IBM will be presenting two papers at the 2004 ISSCC:

"Design and Implementation of the POWER5 Microprocessor"
"PowerPC 970 in 130nm and 90nm Technologies"

Current shipping PowerPC 970s utilize a 130nm process, though it was reported in September that IBM was already sampling 90nm chips. A 90nm chip would theoretically bring higher clockspeeds and lower heat production as compared to the corresponding 130nm chip.

Meanwhile, Microprocessor Watch is providing subscribers with more details about the Power5 from IBM's presentation at the Microprocessor Forum. MacWorld.co.uk notes that the Power5 will ship in 2004, with a Power5+ in 2005 and the Power6 in 2006. Notes from the same presentation were previously detailed in this report.

Meanwhile, a new AppleInsider report claims that 90nm chips will bring Apple above 2.0GHz while the PowerPC 980 (Power5 based) chip will bring Apple to 3GHz. If true this could confirm a previous report which claimed the same... that the 970 would top out at 2.6-2.8GHz, while the 980 would bring Apple to the 3GHz mark.

And a Page 2 report hints at specifically designed low-power mobile PowerPCs.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by sethypoo
90NM.....cooler running.....I hate to bring this up but could we be seeing a G5 PowerBook a little sooner? I think so.....
Um, I'm sure Jobs et all were aware of this logical step when he said it was going to take some time.

In other words, this is a natural progression... not a surprise advancement.

arn

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
This should mean we are still on track for 3Ghz G5s by Q3 of 2004 right? And hopefully 2.4 - 2.6 Ghz updates in January?

And is the 90 nm process going to be the one that makes it into the PB? If so then hopefully we will see those before we see the 3Ghz PowerMacs.

dieselg4

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
Rockin' Pittsburgh!
OK, now to incite seom speculation . . . andy tech types care to guess how much heat a 90 nm G5 would produce, maybe at 1.6 GHz? And how might that realate to the heat a 1.33 GHz G4 produces? Granted I haven't see one up close for very long, but the heat sink for the G5 looksa like it almost ans tall as the case is wide. . .

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Originally posted by dieselg4
Granted I haven't see one up close for very long, but the heat sink for the G5 looksa like it almost ans tall as the case is wide. . .
It is nearly as tall as the case is wide. But that's just so that there is a large area for air to flow over, which means that the heat can dissipate faster, the fans can run slower, etc. Don't be fooled by the size of the heat sinks - the G5 doesn't put off that much heat :)

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by mactastic
This should mean we are still on track for 3Ghz G5s by Q3 of 2004 right? And hopefully 2.4 - 2.6 Ghz updates in January?

And is the 90 nm process going to be the one that makes it into the PB? If so then hopefully we will see those before we see the 3Ghz PowerMacs.
I take this to mean that Apple will have shipping 90nm products by then. My guess is for revised Power Macs, with an outside chance for iMacs. And yes, we should be on track for a 3 ghz G5 in Q3 2004. It might come even sooner than that. Supposedly, they had 3.2 ghz chips sampling way back last September.

Quoting an earlier rumor the 90nm G5 dissipates 34 W at 2.0 ghz. So a 1.6 ghz G5 should come in around 27 W, probably too high for a PowerBook but doable for a revised iMac. I'm sure the redesign of the iMac is specifically to accomodate the hotter running G5s.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
woah, this feels kind of weird, after years of Moto, knowing that we've got regular substantial performance increases in the pipelines for the next few years atleast and probably way beyond...

feels good.... feels very good!! ;)

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
ohhh man... now I gotta think more...

Someway, it means PB's coming, but how soon? I have a PB 12" and think a lot about selling it and get a 15", but would be a deal with this news? or will it take more than 1 year before the nice G5 gets into the PB? ohh no, it's pretty confusing ...:( :)

dieselg4

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
Rockin' Pittsburgh!
Re: ohhh man... now I gotta think more...

Originally posted by AmigoMac
Someway, it means PB's coming, but how soon? I have a PB 12" and think a lot about selling it and get a 15", but would be a deal with this news? or will it take more than 1 year before the nice G5 gets into the PB? ohh no, it's pretty confusing ...:( :)
Unless you really want a bigger screen, I'd keep the 12" for awhile. If you jsut got it, you take a loss on eBay to sell it. The 12" is a fine machine (I bought one myself) and its highly portable. Why spend another grand or so for a computer that isn't a whoel lot faster (unless you'd really like a bigger screen)

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Walt Disney Animation Studios
Its GREAT to see serious progress happening in the Apple world.

For TOO long it was Motorola running the show (or should I say 'ruining' the show) and slowing down the release of new Apple hardware. Now that IBM is in the picture, it seems like they (Apple + IBM) will be keeping up with Intel when it comes to chip upgrading roadmaps and times.

Can I get an amen?

:D

Samir 3.0

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2003
I hope that theese cooler processors could allow Apple to put less fan inside the case to free some space for another HD.

I'm thinking about a SATA RAID with new WD Raptor.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by dieselg4
OK, now to incite seom speculation . . . andy tech types care to guess how much heat a 90 nm G5 would produce, maybe at 1.6 GHz? And how might that realate to the heat a 1.33 GHz G4 produces? Granted I haven't see one up close for very long, but the heat sink for the G5 looksa like it almost ans tall as the case is wide. . .
The G5 by itself is irrelevant. You also have to consider the support chips that go along with it. There may be an issue with the power consumption and heat dissipation of those too.

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
Originally posted by hayesk
The G5 by itself is irrelevant. You also have to consider the support chips that go along with it. There may be an issue with the power consumption and heat dissipation of those too.
I would hardly say it is irrelevant. Yes, other chips and systems play a role in heat disipation, but not nearly as much as the procesor itself.

Also dieselg4 was refering to chips running at lower speeds then currently used. From what I understand, the high performance and heat generating chips scale down with the procesor anyway.

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
Originally posted by dongmin
I take this to mean that Apple will have shipping 90nm products by then. My guess is for revised Power Macs, with an outside chance for iMacs. And yes, we should be on track for a 3 ghz G5 in Q3 2004. It might come even sooner than that. Supposedly, they had 3.2 ghz chips sampling way back last September.

Quoting an earlier rumor the 90nm G5 dissipates 34 W at 2.0 ghz. So a 1.6 ghz G5 should come in around 27 W, probably too high for a PowerBook but doable for a revised iMac. I'm sure the redesign of the iMac is specifically to accomodate the hotter running G5s.
I dont believe the relationship between clockspeed and disipation is linear.

The 1.6 should have a much lower disipation. :)

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Originally posted by arn
Um, I'm sure Jobs et all were aware of this logical step when he said it was going to take some time.

In other words, this is a natural progression... not a surprise advancement.

arn
Just thinking out loud.

Geez. (my new word.).:D

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Originally posted by agreenster
Its GREAT to see serious progress happening in the Apple world.

For TOO long it was Motorola running the show (or should I say 'ruining' the show) and slowing down the release of new Apple hardware. Now that IBM is in the picture, it seems like they (Apple + IBM) will be keeping up with Intel when it comes to chip upgrading roadmaps and times.

Can I get an amen?

:D
Send IBM a thank you card! I bet that has never happpened to them before from OEM's customers!

Rocketman

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
sethypoo:
Wow, 3Ghz by Q3 of 2004? Geez, Apple + IBM=Speedy Gonzales.
If the following is true, the 3GHz PowerMac will be based on the PPC 980 which is much more than a speed-bumped increment.

https://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/07/20030706031041.shtml

Excerpt:

"Improvements in the PPC 980 include Hyperthreading, eLiza error correction, and more massive parallelism. IBM's implementation of hyperthreading provides a 30% gain over Intel's. eLiza technology will reduce the bottlenecks when the branch prediction unit fails. Altivec will split into 3 pipelines (vs 2 in the 970), 4 Integer and 4 Floating point units. 980 will have to be built on a 90nm processor due to heat dissipation requirements.

Steve's comment of 3GHz in 1 year will not be accomplished with the G5 (970) - which will top out at 2.6-2.8GHz. The PPC 980 will start at speeds of 2.6-3GHz and top out around 4.5-5GHz. The G5 will make its way into PowerBook lines in Jan/Feb, Xserve's later this year, and iMacs in approximately one year."

According to AppleInsider, current 980 samples are showing "huge performance gains over the G5":

http://www.appleinsider.com/news/

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
I think this article also implies the 980 will keep the G5 name. I'm not surprised though. If true, I'm very happy with the direction IBM is taking the PPC.

macMaestro

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
Steve said that the G5 would reach 3 Ghz by next June. If the PPC 970 cannot reach 3 Ghz, I take it to mean that whatever chip does reach 3 Ghz would still be called a G5. If that rumor that ksz submitted is true, then I would assume that we would keep the name G5 through the 990. We might get the G6 name for the 9900. Then again, Apple's marketing might want to do the opposite and go through a new G name for each new chip.

Man though, 45nm in four years. That's pretty darn small (and leads to a pretty darn fast chip!)

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
nice to see that IBM and apple are working together and taking this serioiusly. had moto not sucked so bad for so long, i feel like apples market share would have been a lot higher today. it will be interesting to see if there is any shift now that IBM is on board with chips

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Originally posted by macMaestro
If the PPC 970 cannot reach 3 Ghz, I take it to mean that whatever chip does reach 3 Ghz would still be called a G5.
I would tend to agree, however Apple might introduce a suitable marketing buzzword to differentiate the "new G5" from the old G5. For example, when Intel added (or more properly, enabled) Hyper Threading on the P4, they still called it a P4 but displayed the words Hyper Threading prominently on packaging, advertising, press releases, etc. Intel wanted to make it clear that this chip was something special, but not special enough to warrant a new base name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.