MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Several readers have noted IBM's announcement that they will be releasing a PowerPC-Linux based reference platform.

IBM says it will make its blueprint easily accessible to a wider range of developers by charging a low price for it--allowing the company to pit its PowerPC-Linux combination as an alternative to operating systems like the Palm OS and Motorola's processors or Microsoft's Pocket PC software and Intel's Xscale processors.

Of interest, the reference platform will not seem to have very strict requirements (no logo is required, no specific screen size). According to the article, IBM hopes to encourage small businesses and even individuals to be able to purchase the design for use.

The significance of this announcement in the relatively small PDA world could be remarkable, and will certainly spawn discussion and speculation about future Apple involvement. No hints at official Apple involvement have surfaced...

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
I love IBM for being gun ho. I hope they stick it M$ giving them another cash losing division.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
CHRP Lives?

How, if at all, will this PPC reference platform differ from the CHRP of five years ago? Hardly anyone built any machines based on that spec (unfortunately).

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Re: CHRP Lives?

Originally posted by IJ Reilly
How, if at all, will this PPC reference platform differ from the CHRP of five years ago? Hardly anyone built any machines based on that spec (unfortunately).

That spec was an open architecture with a proprietary system (Mac OS). Linux is an open system which thrives on open architecture.

I think this one has a pretty good shot.

Dan

Timothy

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2002
Seattle, WA
Can someone expound a bit?

Hey Arn...can you or somebody else expound a bit as to why this is a good thing for the Mac world? How might this affect us?

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
405LP

After I heard about the 405LP last year, I believed that, if Apple were to build a PDA or similar device using this processor, they could leverage all of their development tools and OSX to create what would be seen as a faithful successor to the Newton, ie, a device 10 years ahead of its time.

I'm still convinced that Apple sticking with the PPC, through thick and thin, has been the best course, and I think this will be validated this fall on the desktop.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Re: Can someone expound a bit?

Originally posted by Timothy
Hey Arn...can you or somebody else expound a bit as to why this is a good thing for the Mac world? How might this affect us?

think YDL apps running on a handheld... and Apple porting apps to linux... or X11 on handheld etc etc etc

choices is what we want...!

choices is what we need...!

choices is what we get...?

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
I have mixed feeling about Linux

Open Source is great..But Linux is going to surpass Mac in popularity. And i am afraid more Mac users will be attracted to Linux than vice versa because it runs on any cheap wintel box. Mac OS X is one of the best platform around, but will people ever realize that?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Re: CHRP Lives?

Originally posted by IJ Reilly

The hardly anyone ncludes IBM. How do you sell something that you don't openly market. You could buy OS/2 on a model 850 but you had to beg and plead once you found the right looking glass.

Maybe this one will do better.

alset:
CHRP and PReP weren't just meant for Mac OS. They were meant for AIX (UNIX) and OS/2 as well. Then, there was Windows NT 3.51 that Motorola ported.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Re: Re: CHRP Lives?

Originally posted by bousozoku
CHRP and PReP weren't just meant for Mac OS. They were meant for AIX (UNIX) and OS/2 as well. Then, there was Windows NT 3.51 that Motorola ported.

That's correct, and I believe at least one company used the CHRP spec to build a PPC Linux box.

After actually reading the article, I see the main difference. IBM is now talking about a PDA platform, not a PC platform. I'm not sure I get this strategy any better, but it is at least somewhat different than CHRP.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
I do not think this news has any relevance to Apple. The line of thinking by previous posters here is that because IBM is selling the reference design for this PPC PDA then Apple could get in the act and release the iPad or whatever. Apple prefers proprietry hardware so I doubt they would use IBM's design which any Senior Engineer could also get for $1000. Apple does not compete with beige boxes and they would never compete with biege PDAs.

Of course there is no reason for iSynch not to work with Linux PDAs just as good as it works with Palm OS.

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by Sol
I do not think this news has any relevance to Apple. The line of thinking by previous posters here is that because IBM is selling the reference design for this PPC PDA then Apple could get in the act and release the iPad or whatever. Apple prefers proprietry hardware so I doubt they would use IBM's design which any Senior Engineer could also get for $1000. Apple does not compete with beige boxes and they would never compete with biege PDAs.

Of course there is no reason for iSynch not to work with Linux PDAs just as good as it works with Palm OS.

True, but easy access to the R&D that IBM will have done may be useful to Apple.

If Apple made a PDA based on the standard then you could run OSX Lite or someone elses Linux on it just like you can now with a Mac.

And people like Apple's industrial design. Just look at the success of the iPod if you want evidence.

i_b_joshua

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.