PowerPost Analysis NRA, Trump administration say Obama is to blame for ‘bump stocks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Oct 6, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...blame-for-bump-stocks/?utm_term=.91852e34ea8f
    well , there it is.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

3. samcraig macrumors P6

So - that doesn't mean we ignore the issue now. But but but Obama. Ok. So now TRUMP can fix it, right?

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

thanks, it's basically a toy
    the man who can't even repeal ocluless care while having control of house & senate is going to fix it?

5. samcraig macrumors P6

So that's an excuse to just leave it and hope everything works out? Your "witty" posts are pretty useless here.

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

your feelings are not letting you see what I am getting at.. keep it off the news if you want to try to "regulate" it better . all liberals & democrats are doing by keeping it in the news is increasing demand for it, sold out just about everywhere as well as the clones

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'd be shocked if Obama, or any sitting president at the time this would have been approved, would know what the hell a bump stock was. This was the ATF dropping the ball. The device was sold to the ATF as a means for people with weak hands to be able to fire a rifle. I mean given our societies propensity for crazy mother ****ers who like to shoot the place up, it doesn't take a Harvard grad to figure out it was a matter of time this accessory would be abused.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm taking it on faith that ATF can't regulate firearm parts. (contrary evidence gladly accepted)

But if that is the case, then how did they drop the ball?

Can they regulate parts that they assume could be abused at some future date?

9. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

That's the sticking point right now.
    ATF say they can't regulate parts, but full auto conversion kits are illegal to use.
    Possession alone is not illegal, but once you put it in a gun, you've committed a felony.
    I don't see how a bump stock is any different than a conversion kit.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The difference IMO would be that a conversion kit literally gives you automatic fire, while a bump stock merely simulates it. It's perhaps a semantical difference, but one that I can see requires the law to catch up to.

11. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

And what groups do you think decided that was the narrative they wanted to put out there to "sell" the ATF on that notion?

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

did this not pass when ocluless was in office?

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

My kids like to sell me on a lot of ********, I don't blame them if I'm too stupid to cut through it.

14. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I don't give one flying **** who was in office, the statement was made that the bump whatever was "sold" to the ATF as a device for people with impairments. I then asked, because no one seems to care, WHO led the effort to use that semantic framing to the ATF?

15. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

guessing that would be the manufacturer of it and their lawyers.

16. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Your kids don't have a lobbying arm with millions of rabid "I don't care about logic" supporters ready to stir up outrage at any and all attempts to do even the slightest bit of regulating.

Stop being facetious.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    And pray tell, what organization was founded to take the public face of the gun manufacturing industry?

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

do you have a source stating that the NRA helped get the bump stocks approved?

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

So you think the ATF is in the NRA's back pocket?

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I would have loved to hear all the screaming from gun advocates like you had the ATF tried to ban them.

You'd have used that as proof that Obama was out to confiscate all of your guns.

20. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Do you have a quote where I stated that? What an interesting place you've landed without me saying such a thing.
    No, I think with enough lawyers and ammosexuals you can get agencies to back down from even common sense classifications of weapon accessories.

21. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

do you understand how things come to the market? it had to be approved for it to be sold............approved under the obama administration, same administration that held house & senate for 2 whole years and did nothing about guns......
    sure as hell looks like that is what you implied. and glad the NRA is there to stamp out stupid feel good regulations that do nothing.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And the ATF, claimed they didn't have the jurisdiction to regulate a gun part.

I'd think you'd appreciate a government body that felt compelled not to overreach their authority.

Or do you believe the ATF should have the authority to restrict gun parts?

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

These aren't elected officials, they're not going to be susceptible to the public pressure you're suggesting.

24. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I can't tell if you're being willfully ignorant of the political reality of America or not.