Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

PPC 970/MacBidouille Rumor Summary

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
A brief summary of 970/Macbidouille rumors to date.

When?

Macbidouille reported that the PowerPC 970 was "cleared" for production and that production of the new processor started on April 15th 2003 .

Initial reports claimed that Peter Sandon from IBM will be presenting the chip at WWDC - allowing developers to see a prototype 970 machine. Subsequent reports, however, hinted that mass production off 970 PowerMacs has already begun and that full availability of the production 970 PowerMacs would arrive by WWDC (June 23, 2003). Their most recent timeline provides a bit more wiggle room with the 970 PowerMacs pegged for June/July 2003.

Specs?

An early report claimed speeds up to dual 2.3GHz. However, their benchmarks, only demonstrate machines up to Dual 1.8GHz in speed.

The 970 Motherboards themselves are said to be longer and narrower, and will utilize DDR 400, USB 2.0, AGP 8x, as well as Hypertransport.

The Truth?

At this time, it's unclear - while MacBidouille claims almost immediate availability of the 970s at WWDC, other sources are split on the topic. Some expect just a demo to be shown at WWDC... while one unverified source claims "970 machines will be available the next day after Steve Jobs opening WWDC presentation. With a twist."

Time will tell...

deepkid

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
chicago
interesting times

It's about time that I replace my souped up original G3 266 MT (which inherited a G4 400 upgrade). Let's hope that some of these rumors become fact.

Itching to buy a new JVC JY-HD10U high definition camcorder and either a powermac (depends on the specs) or a 17" powerbook.

My, my my. We live in interesting times. Even better as a mac user. Bring on the powermacs!

OK kids, but of course these are rumors. This is a rumors site.

ru·mor n.

1. A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.

2. Unverified information received from another; hearsay.

fact n.

1. Knowledge or information based on real occurrences.

a. Something demonstrated to exist or known to have existed.
b. A real occurrence; an event.
c. Something believed to be true or real.

3. A thing that has been done, especially a crime.

4. Law. The aspect of a case at law comprising events determined by evidence.

Comment

fussball

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
interesting yes, but stressful as we wait for these supposed chips to improve apple's computers by so much!

Comment

DrGonzo

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2003
well

well with all these rumors flying around about ppc970, i would put money on the fact that SOMETHING ppc970 is gunna happen at WWDC

Comment

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
This reminds me of all the speculation about the Moto G5 a year or so ago. I guess it was before MWNY 01. People were so certain that it was coming and there was all this "evidence" people had (friends who worked at Moto, "don't ask me how I know, but..." etc), and then the PPC 8500 revealed itself as vaporware (at least the Mac version of the 8500).

Now once again everyone is so certain, but now there is actual real evidence. The 970 is almost certainly not going to become the next 8500. Even Steve Jobs acknowledges the speed gap and seems to know that he must deliver soon.

So releasing it 2 months from now at the WWDC is as good a time as ever, but I just hope that if it doesn't come then, people don't get too crestfallen and angry. It's coming, it's coming.

Comment

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Re: interesting times

Originally posted by deepkid
My, my my. We live in interesting times. Even better as a mac user. Bring on the powermacs!
As a comparison, this is what PC users have to look forward to:
(today's top pc-related announcements)

palladium

the iLoo

(could they be making fun of Apple here?)

Sorry for the off-topic post, but it was too funny to pass up...

Comment

apemn88

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2003
Okay...published timeline

Ok the published time Line [ibm.com] claims that production will begin in the 2nd half of 2003 & samples by the 2nd quater. The rumor checks out pretty closely with those figures from IBM.

It seems to me that rumors this intense (only from 1 site though) and the official timeline seem to give above average credibility to this rumor.

Apple is quiet because they got burned so badly by Motorola so many times in terms of timelines/performance. If I was Apple I would not say one word until the manufacturing has reached full speed. The legacy of Motorola's crappiness are not that distant of a memory.

Just my guess.

Ape

Comment

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Re: Re: interesting times

Originally posted by dongmin
As a comparison, this is what PC users have to look forward to:
(today's top pc-related announcements)

palladium

the iLoo

Sorry for the off-topic post, but it was too funny to pass up...

That is funny, but also rather sadly true, thats all thats in the news these days.

Comment

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
This reminds me of all the speculation about the Moto G5 a year or so ago. I guess it was before MWNY 01. People were so certain that it was coming and there was all this "evidence" people had (friends who worked at Moto, "don't ask me how I know, but..." etc), and then the PPC 8500 revealed itself as vaporware (at least the Mac version of the 8500).

Now once again everyone is so certain, but now there is actual real evidence. The 970 is almost certainly not going to become the next 8500. Even Steve Jobs acknowledges the speed gap and seems to know that he must deliver soon.

So releasing it 2 months from now at the WWDC is as good a time as ever, but I just hope that if it doesn't come then, people don't get too crestfallen and angry. It's coming, it's coming.

the biggest difference between MWSF2002 and now is that the 970 is a real chip that's been developed and is now in production (according to IBM's own publicized schedule). It was previewed to the public almost 7 months ago. AND it's being developed by IBM, who's clearly a better at fabbing than Moto. AND the 970 was designed with AltiVec. We know this chip will be available this summer and fall.

The only uncertainties are 1) at what speeds these chips will debut, 2) when Apple will introduce computers with these chips, and 3) whether Apple will introduce dual cpu machines.

Comment

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
the biggest difference between MWSF2002 and now is that the 970 is a real chip that's been developed and is now in production (according to IBM's own publicized schedule). It was previewed to the public almost 7 months ago. AND it's being developed by IBM, who's clearly a better at fabbing than Moto. AND the 970 was designed with AltiVec. We know this chip will be available this summer and fall.

I know the 970 isn't vaporware, I just don't want to see mass depression if we don't have Power Mac 970s by June 27th. I think we all know it'll be here before too long.
:)

Comment

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Re: Re: interesting times

the iLoo

[/B]

Hey, I'm gonna sue! They stole my idea! I came up with the idea of iSwoosh several years ago...now, iLoo? How silly.

Seriously though, I was looking for some sign that this article was a spoof. Is this truly serious?

Anyway, back to projected new PowerMacs. If even half of the predictions happen, that would be sweet. Definitely time to upgrade. USB2 would be nice, but with Firewire 800, I'm somewhat leery whether or not USB 2 will ever be introduced on Macs. A 900 MHz FSB would also be great...what are PCs at? Around 500 MHz? Well, we'll have to wait and see.

Comment

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Re: Public toilet+ Internet...

Originally posted by pfranzen
seems like a lot of perverts heaven to me!
Muhahahah!! :D

Anyway.. Ahremm.. If MB's rumors turns out to be true, they'll turn into the new Apple Evangelist site.. ;)

Or the other way.. MB going MOSR.. ==> Bye bye!

Comment

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
Deepkid wrote:

ru·mor n.

*gasp* Ru-Mor??!

How do you know Ru-Mor??! YOU KNOW TOO MUCH PUNY EARTHLING! SHUT YOUR NOISE TUBE AT ONCE or I must alert Ru-Mor's galactic forces!

Comment

MOM

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
San Francisco
Well, for those few who are not convinced tha Apple will use the 970, I think the volume of speculation surounding the 970 and the silence from Apple is meaningful. Yes, Apple doesn't comment on rumors, but when expectations in the community get high enough Apple will let a few words out to keep expectations in line with reality. Thus, silence on Apples part, or even further-acknowledgement that they have issues with the speed of their chips-, at this point is enough to convince me that the 970 will be used. When, well I'm not sure, but I think it will be Fall at the latest. If the rumors around WWDC continue to build as they have been and we don't hear anything from Apple-that would further convince me that its coming sooner rather than later.

It's like Christmas to a 6 year old....I CAN'T WAIT!

Comment

avus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2002
I am worried...

Seriously, I am very concerned that MacBidouille has risen our hope so much but there will be an inevitable letdown if everything doesn't come true whenever (or even "if") Apple announces new machines...

Comment

theFly

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2003
A Window Sill in Cupertino
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
I know the 970 isn't vaporware, I just don't want to see mass depression if we don't have Power Mac 970s by June 27th. I think we all know it'll be here before too long.
:)

You're kidding right? This is the Mac rumor community you're talking about. Why you just need to jump over to some other Apple insider forums and see how much we build these things up.

It's not that they're going to release a 970 on/before June 27th, but because, during his interview with CNN, Steve Jobs was sitting with his legs crossed must certainly indicate that we're also going to get an iTablet and a 1.8GHz 970 PowerBook as well on the 27th.

Not only will the iTablet be able to connect wirelessly at OC-3 speeds, with it's built in laser, it'll be able to neatly shave and part your nose hairs (with the 1.2 upgrade, of course).

I'm not sure, but a friend told me that in one of the buildings on Infinity Loop, they've got a working Warp 5 engine there. How they know it's working, is beyond me, but that's what my friend said.

We live for depression, because we know, if not June 27th, certainly at Macworld SF, Jobs will introduce the new 50GHz PowerMacs. He just has to, all the signs point to it...

theFly
Fly on the Mac
http://www.flyonthemac.com
Rumors You Can Bet On

Comment

pbrennen

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Okay...published timeline

Originally posted by apemn88
Ok the published time Line [ibm.com] claims that production will begin in the 2nd half of 2003 & samples by the 2nd quater. The rumor checks out pretty closely with those figures from IBM.

It seems to me that rumors this intense (only from 1 site though) and the official timeline seem to give above average credibility to this rumor.

Apple is quiet because they got burned so badly by Motorola so many times in terms of timelines/performance. If I was Apple I would not say one word until the manufacturing has reached full speed. The legacy of Motorola's crappiness are not that distant of a memory.

Just my guess.

Ape

well a good check on this would be to ask... where are the samples? any news from IBM if they are shipping samples? if not, then i would be skeptical about a 970 summer. also, what about the 20th anniversary superbowl ad? remember the story about that one? 2003 is the year of the laptop. my guess is 970 in january 2004.

comment on this. i don't mean to be a buzzkill, but this is sounding too good to be true.

Comment

jupiter_312

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2002
i really really hope these rumors are true and the 970's are available immediately at wwdc. getting one on my birthday (june 27th) would make me extremely happy.....even though it'll have to be a birthday present to myself. oh well.

Comment

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Re: PPC 970/MacBidouille Rumor Summary

Originally posted by Macrumors
while one unverified source claims "970 machines will be available the next day after Steve Jobs opening WWDC presentation. With a twist."

what the hell does that mean, "a twist"?

-Steve doing the twist during the intro?

-A twist in time which allows Steve to go back 5 years to when Apple last had the lead in speed?

-A new twist-off zif-socket design?

Comment

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Re: Re: PPC 970/MacBidouille Rumor Summary

-Steve doing the twist during the intro?

-A twist in time which allows Steve to go back 5 years to when Apple last had the lead in speed?

-A new twist-off zif-socket design?

The first option is rather interesting....

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Re: PPC 970/MacBidouille Rumor Summary

As with all unverified rumors, I would just go "Hmmm... interesting" and move on.

arn

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.