Practicalities with an SSD in terms of my setup for my new MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aoaaron, Apr 10, 2011.

1. aoaaron macrumors 6502

I'm getting a high-end MBP 15'' 2.2ghz. My question is, shall i get the apple SSD or a 3rd party? From what I've read, an apple optimized SSD is just far more reliable due to the firmware etc. and the fact I'm covered for 3 years under Apple's warantee.

I don't mind paying for the 128GB because its very cheap for the upgrade. 256GB is ridiculous though.

However, 128GB simply isn't enough harddrive space.

I do have a gaming PC with 2 1TB drives which I guess could store most of my stuff. Any other suggestions? I was deliberating an external harddrive. Are these decent speed-wise to interact with the SSD or is it going to be a bad idea?

I'm coming from a 5400RPM harddrive in a 2-3 year old gaming desktop PC. The laptop will be used for music/poker/photos (maybe)/word processing/movies/gaming (maybe) etc.

2. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

You'll be fine with the Apple SSD in the smaller size. Then set yourself up with an external hard drive to use for the files you don't need every day. Most users keep way too many files on their computers due to the large conventional drives we have today.