Praise the Lard! Religion makes you fat.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Ugg, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

LA Times

Pretty striking results. Obviously overeating is the main cause but all that time sitting in a pew doesn't help. Maybe we can start charging churches for their parishioners' health costs for obesity related disease!?!

2. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Maybe because religion allows you to take less personal responsibility.

3. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

It's not just "fatness" as a physical trait but a "fat and lazy" outlook on life that is the worst damage caused by religions, that is the "if I just believe and pray I'll be "saved"" mindset. Why sharpen your mind if God only wants you as a mindless Groupie? This can also lead to a sense of pointlessness then depression, then to excessive eating.
    At least fat and depressed religious people are better than the shrieking fanatic religious zealots.
    Maybe we should be promoting Bake Sales at Churches, Mosques and Synagouges! :p It might calm them down a bit.

Have Fun,
    Keri

The biggest problems with religion are the destruction of Critical Thought and disregard for non-believers. Children under 21 should be protected from such harmful influences, much as we try to protect them from Alcohol and Tobbaco.

4. ender land macrumors 6502a

Apparently obesity doesn't hurt religious people's life expectancy though..

These people do not sound too confident in their own findings. I somewhat wish people with research like this would either stand firmly behind their research or stop presenting it as fact. If it's so speculative, what's the point in publishing it? But if it's easily supported, why present the findings in such a cautious fashion?

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The series of studies which first posited an advantage to being religious has now been better fleshed out. In the original series of studies, there was no control for "non religious but with community activity." Once that was analyzed, it was discovered that religion didn't matter so much as being socially active in one's community, however it may be defined.

Most of those studies were also conducted years ago, before childhood and adult obesity had hit such record levels. Being obese by middle age will increase one's odds of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.

That's because this is only one study and scientists do many before they can conclusively state something. No matter how good the data from a study is, it must be replicable (many times) before scientists will change their word choice from "may" to "most likely will."

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Are you russian? Just wondering because it says chicago in russian under your username

7. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

LOL!

No, just a russophile, studying Russia, Russian and Russians. It says чикаго because I think Cyrillic is the coolest alphabet ever.

Though my brother was often mistaken for Russian when he was in europe and the middle east.... So maybe I am. I always thought we were mostly Swedish ancestry? :confused:

Вы русский?

Удачи,
    Кэрри ;)

8. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

whoops!

Proverbs 23:20-21
    Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat, for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags.

Proverbs 23:2
    And put a knife to your throat if you are given to appetite.

9. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Commit suicide if you are a glutton.

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Obesity is a complex phenomenon, so I don't know that I'd posit this as anything more than one of many variables. I see the argument for concerns of the spirit vs the flesh, but I doubt a little pew time is going to have more impact than 40 hours of office work a week.

11. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

lol what O_O

That's gotta be the cheapest shot I've seen at religion yet.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, absolution is great.

Go forth, and sin some more.

See you next Saturday.

13. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Scientists said they don't know why.

Perhaps it has to do with nonreligious people working out or eating less in order to attract more dates?

14. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

If god wanted us to be thin he wouldn't have invented the Big Mac™

15. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's interesting that the study took into account, age, race, income and education but found no real exceptions.

Many atheists that I know find inspiration out of doors and seem to adhere to the idea that "the body is a temple" and treat it as such.

16. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Yes, the scientists did seem very thorough, however I would have liked to see a breakdown by denomination.

17. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

These statistical threads are getting to be quite entertaining..

18. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Because some are more religious than others?

19. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

No, because some have food after their meetings and some don't.

20. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

I thought you might be pointing to the southern baptists and their penchant for all things fried.

21. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

What's a little misleading is that they were asked in an early part of the research whether they attended religiously oriented activities regularly. Only a small percent answered this optional question and it wasn't asked again in the followup 20 years later.

22. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Did you find a link to the actual study? The LA Times article didn't state that and I couldn't find anything.

The length of the study seems to suggest a strong link.

23. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Not to the actual study, but someone who seems to have access to it. I don't know if this is reliable or not, but it gives more detail about the study:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-...nd-obesity-does-religion-really-make-you-fat/

24. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Thanks, that does add a little more information.

One issue that they didn't bring up is that obesity in the 1980s wasn't as big of an issue as it is today.

It would also be interesting to know if the parents of the studies' subjects were religious or if the subjects themselves "found" religion.

As usual, more unanswered questions than actual answers.

25. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

The Body and Blood of Christ are awfully high in carbs.