Pranked Nurse Found Dead

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Two DJs called the hospital Princess Kate was at and fooled a nurse into thinking the female DJ was the queen. The nurse has now been found dead. Some people are calling for the DJs' heads, saying their prank led to her suicide (nothing proven yet). What do y'all think about this?

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...prank-call-about-duchess-kate-found-dead?lite

Updated at 2:33 p.m. ET: A nurse duped by a prank call made to the hospital where Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, was treated for an extreme form of morning sickness was found dead Friday morning, the hospital said in a statement.

Two Australian DJs, Mel Greig and Michael Christian of Sydney station 2Day FM, called the hospital earlier this week and pretended to be Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles asking to be put through to the ward. They were then given an update on Kate’s health by a nurse.
    The woman’s body was found at an address in Weymouth Street, London, which is around the corner from King Edward VII Hospital on Beaumont Street. Police described the circumstance of her death as "unexplained."

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Very sad to see her death. However it is in line with other DJ pranks.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sorry, but the profanity filters here prevent me from doing so. :(

One of that stations other shows it Hamish n' Andy.

I shudder to even consider that one.

4. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Read about this last night. Maybe a disgruntled prince ordered a hit :p

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I wouldn't be surprised if this was an assassination, but I doubt it would be from the royal family but their keepers instead.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The problem with pranks of such nature is that you can never count on the mental stability of the "victim". As long as the public continues to eat up such garbage, however, these things will continue. I do hope some good can come from this and people think twice before doing it again.

7. NT1440, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012

NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Given the history of political killings around the world why is this not plausible? I don't act like humanity has grown up suddenly since we hit the 21st century.

Ever hear of forced suicide? Even our own FBI tried to get Martin Luther King Jr. to do it, and its well documented. Given the history of what intelligence agencies do to "protect national interests" (almost always meaning illegal and psychotic violent behavior) I wouldn't rule this off the table entirely.

That said, regardless of how it came about, this entire tale has been a tragedy.

8. flopticalcube, Dec 8, 2012

flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Possible, yes. Probable, no.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I up-voted you for you optimism.

It is endearing.

Unrealistic, but endearing.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's just a theory. I find suicide to be far more probable, but you can bet she had some very unhappy conversations with intelligence members after the prank call incident. Perhaps one of many straws that broke the camel's back.

11. iJohnHenry, Dec 8, 2012

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

A woman is dead, and you take that opportunity to politicize the event.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I doubt that. The hospital indicated that she wasn't even disciplined and the RF only mentioned their great thanks to the staff. Its not like they are really of any relevance or importance anymore. More like caged animals in a zoo.

13. NT1440, Dec 8, 2012

NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm sorry but I thought this was a discussion board. How many times do I need to say its a tragedy before further discussion can happen?

Or is it just the topic of assassination that doesn't sit well with you? Would a discussion on the prying media that picks up and runs a non-story into a media circus with a woman humiliated to the point where she likely took her own life sit better with you?

Is this a thread of mourning, or to maybe reflect on different aspects of this incident? I'd like to have a discussion. That's trolling?

I take it you mourned the loss of the illegally killed OBL without any further discussion too right?

Disagree with my opinions all you want, THAT is a discussion, but you can't say that topics are off limits because they make you feel uneasy.

14. davidjearly, Dec 8, 2012

davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Hit stop on the remote control.
    Turn off the TV.
    Open the disc tray on your dvd player.
    Remove the disc.
    Place the disc back in the 24 dvd boxset.
    Stop watching TV.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The mere fact that you can link the two tells me that any discussion would be fruitless.

Propriety.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm with NT1440 here.

Go after his opinion—which I personally believe is a pretty "out there"—not his ability to voice it.

iJohnHenry, I believe you're looking for propriety in the wrong place.

Propriety makes for pretty dull discussions.

17. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I'm with iJohnHenry.

This isn't about absurd suggestions of assassination attempts. It's about a woman who lost her life due to the brainless, mind-numbing actions of two 'entertainers'.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I linked them because in this case you've made it clear that the only reason you see for this thread is to mourn the dead and not talk about anything more than that. I just threw that example out there, I'm not linking them, only trying to point out that there is discussion to be had after the initial RIP comments. I'd love to get there.

Do you think perhaps that regardless of what authority figures have said to her, that maybe the media circus that resulted had such an impact on this poor woman's personal life (I'd wager she had been heckled nonstop and heard her voice nonstop on TV) that she felt there was no other escape?

I'm not trying to make this seem like its any less horrible than it is. I just know that after any tragedy there is a chance for discussion on what is normally considered taboo, even for a brief second. I'm speaking of the untold millions across the globe that wake up each day feeling like they truly can't go on, but know for certain that trying to open up to others may be more pain than they can bear. How can we reach out to people who are in fear that they both can't reach out but also can't seem to find a morsel of happiness in life?

----------

Then lets have that discussion! Guys, this is a thread. At the beginning its throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks. By no means did I even attempt to dictate the discussion. You guys don't want to bite on the borderline-conspiracy angle so lets move on to where we are all going with this.

From my last post I think its pretty clear that you and I are somewhat in agreement on the underlined, so lets talk about it rather than just saying I'm an ******* for not ruling out anything in a death that "Police described the circumstance of her death as "unexplained.""

19. samiwas macrumors 65816

Even after reading that article, I'm still confused as to the entire situation.

Two DJs called the hospital, pretending to be the Royal Family so they could talk to Kate? And the nurse was later found dead? That's all I'm seeing.

Soooo...is it assumed she killed herself because she felt bad about patching the DJs through to Kate? What is going on? I don't get it.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'd imagine this poor woman was probably the center of attention everywhere she went for the last few days of her life. If you're already in a state of mind that there is nothing in the world for you, imagine walking around with the perception that you are a national joke (I'm sure she was heckled constantly). What else is there to do when you're already depressed and the rest of your world seemingly is against you as well? :(

21. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

We're all waiting for you to move on from the absurd suggestions. The authorities had nothing to do with this.

No, the DJs called up to perform an exceedingly common phenomenon disguised as 'entertainment'. That is, the allegedly humourous endeavour of pretending to be someone they are not - usually someone famous - to 'wind up' the person on the other end of the phone.

In this specific instance, the prats on the radio show thought it was particularly amusing and creative of their pea-sized brains to pretend to be the Queen and Prince of Wales of the United Kingdom, in order to obtain information on the well-being of the Duchess of Cambridge.

Apparently, the nurse that answered connected the morons at the radio show to a nurse responsible for the care of the Duchess and she unwittingly broke patient confidentiality by divulging information to the DJs.

The DJs did not do this LIVE - which makes it all worse. Instead, they pre-recorded the call, and cleared it with the stations lawyers before playing it on air - despite knowing that they were revealing confidential medical details of the Duchess, and the effect this could have on the nurse who divulged the information.

Those DJs now have much on their conscience.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh, have you been reading the thread? I've already stated multiple times that suicide was much more probable, AND moved onto trying to pick that puzzle apart.

Any comments on those posts or are we going to do this all day?

I thought I asked some substantial stuff in them.

----------

Interesting note. Not knowing anything about those particular DJs, do you think they feel directly responsible? I know I'd be in a dark place knowing I was responsible for the death of another human being.

23. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I had heard that the nurse that originally took the call and forwarded it the nurse was the woman who had died. Is that not true?

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

From the way I've been reading it I believe the one that answered initially was the one found dead. That said the more I read the more it becomes clear that many of these reports are based off the same source and there is little clarity of whom is whom

25. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

These scumbags need to be fired. Trash media people.

Remember when journalism wasn't dead and actually had ethics?