Pray to Jesus, Hate Christians?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OldCorpse, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

There's quite a bit of thread crapping by religious zealots in threads that have nothing to do with religion... they come on, and preach their nonsense. I figured they deserve their own thread, and I thought I'd start one by posting this bit of rant from someone's blog. FWIW, and in the interests of full disclosure, I'm an atheist who has contempt for all religions equally. That doesn't mean that I won't defend the rights of religious people to freely practice their religion within the bounds of the law. I believe in religious freedom. And I also believe very strongly, in the separation of church and state. Further, I have no desire whatsoever to dissuade anyone from their religion - believe in what you wish, I'm not going to argue against your or any other religion. And in person I'm very polite to religious people who are polite to me, and I'd never discriminate against anyone based on their faith. That said, it is my experience that the worst of humanity is religious - the most evil, cruel, twisted, sick, perverted and vicious individuals that I have come across in my life have been Christians. And some of the kindest, most helpful and decent people were atheists and agnostics. Of course, that's just one experience of one man. What's your experience?

Anyhow, I came across this, and thought it mildly amusing, so I'm posting it here (I'm not affiliated with the blogger in any way):

http://www.thebunnyblog.com/archives/why_i_hate_chri.phtml

TheBunnyBlog.com - May 2, 2007

Why I hate Christians; a disorganized rant

This was in my inbox recently, a barely legible missive from a Christian who dislikes that I disklike Christians: "Your[sic] going to hell. Shame on you."

I don't ****ing like Christians. I'm sorry, but I just don't. I get a lot of negative email about that, but I don't care, and I won't stop saying it.

One of my best college friends grew up in a small town to the north of my own, no more than a forty five minute drive from my childhood door to hers. We both went away to college, lived secularly, and afterward, we got an apartment together for a year in San Antonio. During this year, I abstained from sex. This was because my roommate was having so much of it. Morning, noon and night. Literally, and with many partners of disparate social backgrounds and of both genders. It wasn't her openness that freaked me out, it was the amount of sex she had in combination with a complete lack of connection with the partners, as well as the amount of partners who were married to someone else. She had a bit of a problem, yes, but I didn't judge. I was a little weirded out that she could be so adulterous and still sleep at night, but this was before I knew she was Christian.

Now. She ended up sleeping with the father of the family she nannied for. The wife found out and along with my roommate's job, went her job prospects. That is, they went down the crapper. Mrs. Nanny Family was very well connected in Texas and made sure my roommate couldn't get certification to work within the state after getting her masters degree. Oh yeah, I should mention she was training to be a couples' counselor. She was ****ing married men and training to be a couples' counselor. Just wait, the hypocrisy gets better.

Shortly after Mrs. Nanny Family uncovered the truth about her dalliances with Mr. Nanny Family, she phoned the mother of my roommate, a pleasant lady from upstate New York who'd had always been very nice to me, but then I had been nice to her daughter too. Mrs. Nanny Family spilled the truth about the affair over the phone, and my roommate's mother replied in the following fashion, "Maybe if you had been taking care of your husband and family better, this wouldn't have happened."

Following this phone conversation, my roommate's parents came to San Antonio to stay with us, find my roommate a new job and comfort her through her difficult times. She was never lectured about her transgressions. Instead, many derogatory things were said about Mrs. Nanny Family, all of them laced with Christian-based rhetoric. It was said that Mrs. Nanny Family wasn't home enough, that she didn't pray enough, that she didn't believe in God, when the very opposite was true, as Mrs. Nanny Family had been pushing Anne Lamot books on me for months. I kept wondering whether a prayer could have kept my roommate off Mr. Nanny Family's rod, but never said it aloud, and had I uttered it, no one would have been pleased.

One day while lounging at the pool, my roommate's mother began explaining the book she was reading, "Left Behind," part of a series of books about the rapture and apocalypse.

"This all going to happen. The antichrist will rise and if you aren't a believer, you'll be subject to hellish torture. That horrible [Mrs. Nanny Family] should pay attention. You should pay attention."

Well I could take no more of this hypocritical family. I not only left the pool area, but the complex as well, and I drove to my office, where I edited my resume and faxed it anywhere but San Antonio.

I realize it is idiotic to look at one ****ed up Christian family and then project their image upon every Christian face in America. It is not fair. One must understand that dogma can be interpreted a variety of ways, and that human beings are insecure by nature, and tend to adopt separating institutions that bend and twist to their will so that they may feel a little or a lot bit better off than their brethren. At the heart of every being, Christian or no, there's an urchin of a primal nature just gagging for the opportunity to step on a head to get a little higher in life. Its what we do if left to our animalistic instincts. My example more serves to explain my personal experiences with zealotous Christians. Granted, there are many sweet-natured Christians who only seek to help their kind, but it's been my experience that the majority are the kind who can simultaneously read Matthew 7:1-5: "Judge not lest ye be judged" and pass judgment upon anybody they don't like. The unique. The abstract. The secular. The colored. How dare anyone be different? I am better.

Well here you go. Here's as random a spattering of judgment right back at ya, with a wide, wide brush, just the way you like.

I'm thirty years old. I've lived in six different states. I've met every color, race and nationality of people, and no people have irked me more than the Christians: the aforementioned family. The Christian business partners who ****ed me out of thousands; I don't take design jobs from Christians, and I don't care what you think about that. The Camp Cross counselors, whose actions border on mental abuse. The local parishioners who picketed the church front of a decent and--for shame--abstract reverend in my home town not weeks after his daughter died of anorexia. The family friends who found God and dumped us. The promise keepers who cheated on their wives. The priests who molested the boys in my family. These people. These people. These people. This guy. These people. The righteous who sin. I've seen you do it, time and time and time again. In fact, I see you do it more often than secular people.

Christians want prayer in school, in public school in my country, a country founded upon, yet frequently forgetting separation of church and state. They want no gays in the military, no gays marrying, no gays at all, when gays are tax paying citizens whose hard earned dollars support the very institutions--the armed forces--that **** upon their way of life. Christians favor teaching Creationism at the expense of a decent biology education. They want abortion outlawed at expense of the future crime rate, and the fully-formed--and loved-by-many--adult women who will die in childbirth now that partial birth abortion is outlawed. They want abstinence-only education, when studies show it does not work.

With all due disrespect, Christians: what the **** is wrong with you people?

So many questions here. Can even one of you tell me definitively who wrote this book you live our lives by, who has had their hands in it, who has had editing power, what really happened and what didn't? Can you tell me why there are books of the bible, the word of Christ, that you can't read, and why? Can you tell me what teachings of Christ were fabricated at the Council of Nicea? Do you even know what that is? Can you tell me definitively that the abolition of pork product didn't maybe have something to do with the lack of refrigeration during Jesus' time, and is pretty much an obsolete ruling? Can you tell me definitively that gay sex between men wasn't taboo because 1) it didn't produce more babies for the Christian army, and 2) it wasn't so biologically safe until the onset of the antibacterial body wash age, and that maybe this ruling is pretty obsolete as well? Can you tell me why the bible prohibits crop rotation, yet we do it freely in America without protest? Explain to me how carbon dating is a Jew farce, and how it is that the Jews buried every dinosaur bone. Can you tell me who this psycho named John was, the guy who put together John I and John II a hundred years after the death of Christ--a man he did not know--predicting for Christians the world over the coming of the antichrist? How do you know he's not another Cho Seung Hui? Did you know that the majority of the apocalypse and rapture belief system was concepted one hundred years ago by a British dude who hacked the bible up into a billion particles and put them back together in a process coined Dispensationalism so that his vision of religion better suited his natural masochism? His mental illness? I mean, why listen to reason when there's some seductive whackjob out there claiming they understand Jesus better'n you do?

And most perplexing of all your behaviors: Why do you not question where the word of God comes from, and how it got to your door?

I hate that I live in a world run by Christians. I hate that the majority of America thinks we're in our last days, though the evidence supporting such belief is beyond specious. I hate that these people are the big voting block. I hate the ever-blurring line between church and state. I hate the way gays are treated. I hate that my president and his advisors--men with digits on the nuke button--believe they'll be raptured to heaven soon. Why care? Why recycle? Why not make a few more bucks at the expense of thousands lives--some our own kids--so's we can really live it up before we go up to the pearly gates? And who cares who dies, so long as we're with God? We're the chosen ones.

Isn't there another group of religious zealots often in the news who adopt the same ideology? I think they're called Al-Qaeda.

What are the chosen chosen to do? Be murderous *******s?

And you know what smarts the most? I hate that I can't appreciate Jesus because of all the ****-slinging ****tards who currently "worship" him. I can't even think about Jesus. I mean the dude was, for all intents and purposes, one of the wisest and most profound cats who ever walked the earth, but can I worship him and not also be joining a group comprised of wretched people? Absolutely not. I'll pray anyway. I'm praying right this very instant to Jesus, wherever you are--you beautiful, dark-skinned, ganja-smoking, accepting, loving sonuvabitch--please judge every "worshipper" who commits hurtful acts of judgment in your bastardized name, starting with self-righteous, gay-hating, Christ-smearing, backward-thinking, literal-as-**** Christians. Judge them hard and heavy for their lack of reason and compassion.

Perhaps the Christians are correct about one thing: the rising of the antichrist. If being anti-Christian makes you an antichrist then here I am. Rising--though I probably like Christ more than any Christian. Wait, weren't you supposed to magically float to Heaven before I got here? I guess those two unfounded theories proselytized by whackjobs were proselytized by...whackjobs. Who'd have thunk it?

Posted by The Bunny at 4:56 AM

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

4. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

There are of course two things involved in this story. One is a faith called 'Christianity', (I hate the word religion). Second how is this faith being exercised.

Proposition: If a person who calls him/herself a Christian is not exercising the morals of the faith, that person >> IS << not a Christian. ( That does not mean a Christian could occasional fail ).

I am a Christian and know that if a 'so called Christian' lives in constant failure the person has probably lost his/her salvation.

Christiany to me means in the first place a lifestyle which should confirm (not discredit) faith in Christ.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

As one who peddles hateful Anti-Christ twaddle on these very boards, you are not showing a Christ-like disposition.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Could you expound on that given with respect to current events?

7. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

Skunk,

I did a lot of 'soul searching' after the 'other thread', and I confess I was quite head on. If it comes to opinion what I always do is communicating Christian truth.

The message of the Gospel is liberating but at the same time it is confronting people in their conscience, and people do mess this up with insulting. (Again has never been my intention)

But, I agree that the language I use should be very careful, for instance it is political more correct to use the word wrong then the word evil. I am still learning.

One of the conditions for being a Christian is still repentance. If people choose not to repent they will perish. In it self this is an offensive message, I am sorry but there is no way around it.

I also would like to point out there were some very heavy false and twisted accusations (forget about the insults) against me, but that is just the condition of this fallen world.

(I know who the ruler of this world is)

Take care.

8. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

I am willing but could you be a bit more precise about 'current events'?

9. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Talib Kweli doing his thing. Poem is called 'Hell'.

I don't agree with the guy. I think he is being a jerk.

Personally I am spiritual not religious.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Like so many others, then, you claim that what you say is your god's word. Not a very compelling stance in a polytheistic world.

11. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

-God is not schizophrenic.
    -Gods Word is not mine.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

- those that profess most loudly that they follow god's word, don't.

13. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

As a Christian, I think that the Catholic church it the worst thing ever the happen to any religion. Anywhere. Ever.

I hope that someday in the minds of non-Christians we as Christians can separate ourselves from that monstrosity of dogma, hate, perversion, and greed.

Not that all Catholics are misguided, the Catholic church is just designed to misguide you.

14. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

That indeed often is true. (Those are supposed to be the exceptions on the rule) Your statement is not per definition true.

Remark: 'God's Word is not mine', I do mean with this that it does not originate from me, I of course do wholeheartly agree with God's Word as revealed in what we know as 'the Bible'. And by the grace of God it translates in my lifestyle.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Utterly delusional, and modest with it.

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Bingo on both counts.

Also, most people seem to think that since Christians follow theology that expects us to be as sinless as we can be that we should be perfect. I wish that people who "Hate" Christians would actually READ the Bible before basing what they think on what they know of Christianity (which is often way off).

Part of the problem is that there are a lot of different views on Christianity and therefore a lot of different denominations which makes it very confusing for the non-believer and believer alike.

Personally, I was raised Baptist but as I "grew in my faith" (studied the Bible) I became more Calvinistic or Reformed (I'm not sure the Wiki articles are all that accurate but they should give one a general idea). I'm now going to a smaller PCA church.

Calvinism is a hard pill to swallow for anyone because it prescribes that God chose certain individuals to save. Of course the hard part is that if that is the case then He chose NOT TO SAVE everyone else. Ouch. I could go into why this is the case but that could be an entire topic of discussion itself.

Do know this, Calvinism or Reformed Theology brings the Christian back to a more European and traditional belief. I believe it's gives a more accurate view of God.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Another "part of the problem" is that there are a lot of different "bibles", and none of them makes a great deal of sense. Your "believers" all believe different Truths, and are ready to kill to defend them.

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The Bible generally has one version for the Old Testament and one for the new that are accepted.

The OT is written in Hebrew and Aramaic and the NT is completely in Greek. The NT is generally a breeze to translate, (except for Revelations) so each translation of the NT Bible (NIV, KJV, NASB, etc) varies little.

The OT on the other hand is a bit harder to translate accurately because of the nature of the Hebrew language. To really understand it you have to know how to read it AND what the culture was like when it was written.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

How does one know how to read it?

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not only are there wide variations in NT translations from the Greek, but the Septuagint was itself translated from originals in different languages. Besides which, the canon of books which made up the Old and New Testaments has been changed repeatedly, most notably at the Council of Nicaea.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Whoa! :eek: Nothing like a little sectarian bigotry, eh?

Can you explain to the Catholics here what is so much horribly worse about that faith than any other, especially in light of the fact that very few of the most evil religious influences in America today (the Religious Right, Westboro, our illustrious administration) are Catholic...and the fact that historically speaking the Crusades and other "Christian" atrocities came before Christianity split into Catholic and Protestant divisions?

22. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

But then who is the arbiter who is going to say who is and is not following 'God's Word'? The insanity of religion is the assumed hierarchy of interpretation. The world would be a much simpler place if either religion were gone or fewer people were literate enough to put their own crazy spin on any particular "Holy Book." - IMHO. The irony is of course that most religions were opposed to widespread literacy...

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Of course before that split, there was only the Catholic Church - apart from the Orthodox, Arians, Cathars, etc, etc, etc.

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'm really surprised that you're getting away with this thread here. Replace the word "christians" with muslims, gays, blacks, whites, germans, arabs, or whatever and you'd instantly be labeled a bigot, racist or worse. Why do I care if you hate christians? This is a public forum, not a personal blog. No one should post a thread about hating any group or person.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You'll have noticed that there aren't any muslims, gays, blacks, whites, germans, arabs or whatever crapping on threads around here. Well, possibly some whites, but we'll let that pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.