PRC Police Shoot Burning Monk

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lord Blackadder, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Like the title says....:eek:

On the surface this is a real head-scratcher. Why not just put out the fire, then arrest him - unless he was armed? :confused:

I can't figure this one out. Perhaps the strangest part is that he may have survived (or at least nobody has confirmed his death)... if so his soul must stick pretty tightly to his body.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Is the land in Tibet really that precious, or is the Chinese need to control everything the problem??

3. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

hard to fathom

The China-Tibet conflict is about as difficult to fathom as the China-Taiwan conflict for westerners (myself included). I would like to think that the shooting was an act of kindness, rather that and act of expediency. I am not so sure however.

4. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Attributing an act of kindness to the Chinese police isn't a very realistic endeavour... At any rate, it's not particularly hard to fathom:
    In Asian politics saving face is of utmost importance. Taiwan is a possible mark of shame on China (as would be Tibet if it 'won' its freedom). A basic understanding of this somewhat unique fixture of Asian politics would serve the Western world quite well. For instance: turn North Korea into a possible source of shame for China and China will begin to more actively address the problem. (North Korea has, since the Korean War, and even slightly before that, been a 'pet' of China, more or less. As China has stated it would prefer North Korea not join the little club of nuclear-armed countries, it would be a serious smudge on China's reputation should North Korea follow through with its nuclear ambitions.)

5. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've been exposed to some Chinese history as an undergrad, and the concept of shame is not foreign to me.

But isn't it more shameful to shoot a burning monk than to simply put out the fire and arrest him? It just sounds excessive.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Well if they put out the fire he may still die making his protest successful. However by killing him before he could kill himself makes it their control over his life, thus over the lives of all their people.

7. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Makes sense - but also serves as a reminder as to why China's human rights record is considered poor.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Like the rest of the world is any better :rolleyes:

9. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

It goes onto say that the man was taken to the hospital. Doesn't say if he survived or died. Another thing, not that I would think China's government would come and say, but there is no mention of the gun shoot wound and only witnesses are saying he was shot. Very very interesting. So was he shot, if so the flames were put out to get him to the hospital. So why shoot>>??

11. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That was my question...the police are confronted with a self-immolating protester, and for some reason they decide to plug him? It doesn't make any sense because

a) If they wanted him dead he was accomplishing that well enough on his own and

b) By shooting him in broad daylight they essentially guaranteed it would become a sensational event in the press.

Not only cruel but stupid on the part of the police.

12. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I couldn't agree more. Makes you wonder what REALLY happened..

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's not, but there is no need to single out a specific country.

---
    "Terrorists are infringing our rights, so the government takes them away."

14. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Tell that to the monk.

15. coupdetat macrumors 6502

While China has tons of human rights violations, I think it's safe to say that Tibet was FAR nastier before the Chinese took over. Just look up how Tibet used to be run. I went there two summers ago and the entire place is just ass-backwards. I have lots of sympathy for many living in the PRC (I immigrated here as a kid) but I think the Tibetans are a bunch of fanatics.

16. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I can only bow before your local knowledge, but this brings up a debate that is particularly relevant in today's world. As in Iraq, does the presence of a bad, corrupt or otherwise repressive government legitimize foreign invasion? And if so, under what circumstances (i.e. is it OK if the UN does it)?

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

No there is. How else do we(the world) deal with it?

Yes, the US and other Western countries are infringing on human rights, but I'll take the US, UK, France,etc over China!

*I'd look into Japan, but I language thing might be to big...would likely take France off the list to....but the point is there

18. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I don't want to sound as if I'm mocking human rights watchdog groups (because I'm not), but they probably find human rights violations in every nation.

But some countries have a much worse record than others.