Pre order a phone and give old phone to wife?

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2003
PA
Wasn't sure how to word the subject, but can anyone tell me the best way to do the following?

I have an iPhone 7, fully paid for, that replaced a dead 6 I had. I want to pre order an iPhone X, no hurry, hence I didn't do this on Friday. Here's the question though - how do I order the X for myself knowing that when it arrives I want to give my current 7 to my wife, replacing her dying 6, and have my number setup on the new X?

Do I simply order it as a replacement for may existing phone, the 7, and then do a SIM swap from my wife's old phone to my 7? I usually purchase in my local Apple Store, and I figure they would be able to make these changes during the purchase, but I'm assuming they are not going to see stock for some time so I'm not sure how to do this if it is mailed to me directly.

Sounds simple enough, but I'm not sure which order type to do?

Thanks, sorry for sounding stupid here, and thanks.

sirenized

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
Wasn't sure how to word the subject, but can anyone tell me the best way to do the following?

I have an iPhone 7, fully paid for, that replaced a dead 6 I had. I want to pre order an iPhone X, no hurry, hence I didn't do this on Friday. Here's the question though - how do I order the X for myself knowing that when it arrives I want to give my current 7 to my wife, replacing her dying 6, and have my number setup on the new X?

Do I simply order it as a replacement for may existing phone, the 7, and then do a SIM swap from my wife's old phone to my 7? I usually purchase in my local Apple Store, and I figure they would be able to make these changes during the purchase, but I'm assuming they are not going to see stock for some time so I'm not sure how to do this if it is mailed to me directly.

Sounds simple enough, but I'm not sure which order type to do?

Thanks, sorry for sounding stupid here, and thanks.
BEtter yet! Buy your wife the X and keep the 7 for yourself. Merry Xmas wife!

jbachandouris

macrumors 601
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Simple SIM swap and set up. I’ve done this often. Very easy.
I’m not sure, but don’t the new iPhones use an imbedded SIM? If so, there’s no swapping.

I plan to give my 8 Plus to either my wife or my daughter. My X is being sent with my phone number. I will change the number through AT&T or Apple when my X arrives. Either way, I will request a new SIM if using the imbedded isn’t possible.

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2003
PA
I’m not sure, but don’t the new iPhones use an imbedded SIM? If so, there’s no swapping.

I plan to give my 8 Plus to either my wife or my daughter. My X is being sent with my phone number. I will change the number through AT&T or Apple when my X arrives. Either way, I will request a new SIM if using the imbedded isn’t possible.
Should still work for me though. I’d be swapping the sim from my current 7 to my wife’s 6 when I get get the X. If I order the X as a replacement for my 7 it will come with my number I assume.

Reactions: jbachandouris