Pre-order @ Apple.com, carrier switch, number transfer ... All at once!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by D.T., Sep 10, 2012.

1. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

OK, this is probably just _begging_ for something to go pear shaped, but figured I'd see if anyone had ever done this? Specifically through Apple's site[?]

We're with AT&T, and I want to switch to Verizon when the new iPhone is released (mostly for voice funny enough...), and we'd want to transfer our numbers (Verizon's site indicates they are transferrable), and of course, score a deal via a new contract.

I suppose if it works, then we'd simply turn around and cancel AT&T service (one account is off contract, the other we'll owe ~$200 by my calculations).

2. Geckotek, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

IIRC, the right way to do this is order with a new number, and when it arrives call VZW to have your AT&T number ported over to VZW.

Edit: I said that backward...fixed.

3. D.T. thread starter macrumors 604

D.T.

Oh yeah? I guess that would remove one area of potential complication (and possibly service outage). FWIW, we'd be be moving from AT&T to Verizon.

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes it can work just fine and it can also fail or go pear shaped...

First since you mentioned Apple.com and unless they change something on Wednesday, you should understand that you will have to order the phones individually and then contact Verizon to merge them into a single plan.

Second, have you verifed that Verizon voice / data services work well in the locations that you expect service? You might want verify with a friend that already has Verizon. Every year there are some number of unhappy carrier switchers that post. It is not specific to Verizon but to all carriers based on your local area. I would suggest that you consider delaying the port until after you confirm that you love Verizion service and then you can port both numbers after the initial launch rush. This way you get to verify Verizon meets your needs and you don't break your existing AT&T service. Once your port request is processed on the AT&T side you AT&T phones will quit working as your account will be closed.

Porting your numbers as part of the order works fine but expect some delays due the high number of ports during launch. It is not a Verizon specific issuse as all carriers will be slammed with port request. Often there is a delay in being able to receive inbound calls on your new ported line. You will be able to make outgoing calls as soon as the activation steps complete but it may as long as 48 hours before all porting steps complete.

Dave

5. D.T. thread starter macrumors 604

D.T.

Thanks Dave, those are some terrific points.

I did cross check Verizon using a couple of different devices from our house and the signal quality was outstanding. For some reason, our little section of Vilano/St. Augustine has next to no signal from AT&T. I tried to convince them and score a MicroCell, but their coverage map indicates otherwise.

6. bina12834 macrumors regular

Im in the same position...

finished out my contract with AT&T and i want to switch to Verizon and pre-order the iPhone 5 when it comes out.

Who should I pre-order through? Apple.com or Verizon? Can i even start a new Verizon contract through Apple.com? I've never pre-ordered and switched carries before. When i got the iPhone 3G it was well after it had launched, and when i pre-ordered the 4 I was staying with AT&T.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It doesn't matter, either one will work.

8. bina12834 macrumors regular

so come pre-order day i can pre-order through Apple.com and set up my Verizon account on there as well? When do i port my phone numbers over to the Verizon phones? Do they get ported over immediately when i order, or do they not get ported over until i receive the phones and call Verizon?

9. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I believe the port is initiated when you actually receive the phones and activate them via iTunes.

I am in the exact same position as the OP, and I'm concerned where I should preorder. I would prefer to preorder at Apple.com, but if the process is much more seamless at Verizon.com, I'll go there. I feel like I have to make a choice and commit because we all know how crazy it will be trying to place the orders, and you'll pretty much only get one shot.

10. willmtaylor, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Go there right now and start the process with an iPhone 4 w/VZW (don't go thru with it, obviously). When this happens (and you activate your new phones), the porting process should begin.

(Search around the forums a bit; there have been several threads about this already.)

11. bina12834 macrumors regular

Well then i guess ill go with Apple.com since thats where i had luck pre-ordering my iPhone 4.

----------

wait a min now im getting conflicting info...

so when i complete the pre-order on Apple.com my number will be ported to a Verizon account that i dont have a phone for yet? So ill be phone-less from the day i pre-order to the day i get my phone? That doesnt seem to make sense.

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

*sigh*

Just go read this thread: Switching from AT&T to Verizon. How to preorder the new iPhone.

13. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Do this. Go to their website and create a fake iPhone order, get it to the point where it says you can transfer your numbers and type in your info, and see if it will allow you to transfer.

14. bina12834 macrumors regular

and then what happens if it transfers? im screwed.

15. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

hmmmm....
    not sure...but it looks like i will go with apple.com. and just port number when activating.

16. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

This is straight from Apple.com when ordering an iPhone

"You can choose to get a new phone number or transfer your current number to your new iPhone. If purchasing from the Apple Online Store, the initiation of your transfer will occur when you turn on your new iPhone for the first time and follow the onscreen instructions to activate it. If purchasing from Apple Retail, the initiation of your transfer will occur at the time of purchase"

17. bina12834 macrumors regular

That clears that up.

18. dave006 Contributor

dave006

19. D.T. thread starter macrumors 604

D.T.

Just wanted to say thanks for some of the follow-up questions and answers ... I think I'm set. :)

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

But does "transfer your current number" include transferring from a different operator, or only transferring from a previous phone with the same operator? Unfortunately it can be read both ways.

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

It doesn't include, it MEANS transferring from a different operator.

22. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

IMHO, the best way to switch carriers is to order from the carrier. Don't cancel from the other carrier until the number is ported. Verizon techs will be able to assist with the port process.

23. D.T. thread starter macrumors 604

D.T.

Yep. Based on the info above and the couple of excellent links, I'll be [pre]ordering directly from Verizon (I need two phones too, so I want to purchase them in a single transaction), new service, port numbers ... then receive phones and through the activation process the porting begins (and apparently the old service cancellation is triggered).

24. vhgator macrumors newbie

Question about porting

I have an ATT iphone, but am considering switching to verizon.

I'm unsure of how the reception for LTE will be where I live, so my question is if I port my number over to Verizon and decide that the service is subpar, how difficult is it to switch it back to ATT afterwards? Would I be able to port the number back to ATT and exchange the phone out for an ATT iphone?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

25. dave006 Contributor

dave006

In your case since you want to try Verizon service, just let them assign you a new number on Verizon. Test the service and if you like it then you can have Verizon complete the port. It does not cost extra and you will have working AT&T service until you are sure about the Verizon coverage.

Yes, you can port into Verizon and then port back out to AT&T and AT&T will restore your account but it can be painful due to the large number of ports and manual touches to your account, stuff happens every year so expect it to take a couple of days to unwind the porting circle.

Dave