Pre-order for store pick-up day after launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OCDMacGeek, Sep 10, 2012.

1. OCDMacGeek macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

I will happen to be driving through an area with an Apple Store on the day after the expected launch day. I don't know how this worked with previous iPhone launches: Is it possible to pre-order a phone for store pick-up on the day after launch? Or, do they only hold the phone for you on the actual day of launch?

Thanks.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

typically you cannot do ship to store on launch day...at least with their most recent product (eg: macbook retina) they would not allow it.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You won't be able to do this the weekend of release. They may allow it the following Monday if it's similar to the iPhone 4S release.

4. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Hard to say right now. Apple has done different things in the past with different product launches. They may or may not even offer in-store pickup initially for pre-ordering. If they do, they usually will only hold the phone for one business day. You might try to call that store and speak with the manager to find out if they would hold it for you. I wouldn't bother with that yet though as there has not even been an announcement yet and we don't even know when the phone will be available yet!!

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Even if they allow it, it could be hassle waiting to happen. What if it comes the day AFTER you are in the area? Do you have a way to still get it?

6. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

When the iphone4 was released in June 2010, you were able to reserve (not prepay for) a phone for pickup at the store and I believe they would hold it for 24 hours from launch day store opening. I don't know what they're doing this time. I would assume if you preorder for store pickup AND pay for the phone, they'll hold it as long as necessary. It all depends on how they do it this time.