Pre-order iPhone 5 and throw it on ebay (without opening it)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danpass, Sep 13, 2012.

1. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Pre-order iPhone 5

Receive

Take photos of shrink wrapped package

Post on ebay

My previous experience shows there is nothing actually tying the phone to my account (beyond extending my contract two years).

Did I miss anything? Any other considerations beyond including "ATT phone" in the description? (vs 'unlocked')

I have time staggered lines so I'm upgrade eligible one way or another within a year.

2. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

3. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

No may people will do it. As long as you keep up your account for 2 years, you are good. Note that there will be hundreds on eBay for sale.

4. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

The OP is trying to be clever.

5. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

The op has edited the post too (I think, just on my phone)

6. azure247 macrumors 6502

This is what I am considering doing too because my parent's dont use nor need a new phone upgrade. Since we are staying with ATT regardless of contract or not, we might as well sign a new 2yr contract and get the iphone 5 and then sell it on ebay and continue to use the old dumbphones.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'd check out the following two threads and makes sure you understand the process. AFAIK, Apple ships the iPhone to you in a weird state where it's not pre-activated, but the phone is still associated to you. I guess it makes sense that iTunes would require your SSN and billing zip code to activate it. Makes it less useful if someone stole it from FedEx before it got to you.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1273616
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1012053

8. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

I just remember the 4Ss going for twice the price at the beginning for those who didn't want a contract.

Since I'm staying with ATT it doesn't matter to me and so far the i5 is nothing special.

Those are the reasons I'm considering it lol.

9. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Part of the reason why they sold so well before was because AT&T phones were the only ones that worked abroad so there was a large market for the phone where it hadn't come out yet.

I'd be curious to see how the lack of international LTE support on the AT&T phone will affect the price this time around.

10. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

ok, thanks. Maybe I'll activate it first, only to the point where it is past iTunes activation and leave the rest up to the buyer.

And now I remember that I did that with the refurbs that I bought and sold at one point (FAN account).

But those were 3GSs which could use the old regular SIM cards. I guess I was just more paranoid back then lol.

Any problems with just taking out the nano SIM (forget iTunes in this case) and let them get their own nSIM at the ATT store?

11. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I agree, things have change some now and only time will tell. I am thinking there will be less demand for the iPhone5 as they will have plenty. :rolleyes:

12. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

well I went ahead and pre-ordered a black 32gb.

I'll use it for a week.