Pre-order or wait till the 19th to buy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bcooln, Sep 9, 2014.

1. bcooln macrumors regular

Hi, this is my first time pre-order iphone. I just want to know from your experience, what is the best way to get the iphone on the first day. should i do the pre-order or wait till the 19th, go to apple store early to buy it? thanks

2. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Depends. Do you mind waiting in line for several hours? If not, go to Apple store on the 19th to purchase.

3. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I've pre-ordered in the past and it hasn't been an issue. As long as you're willing to pre-order as soon as it opens (say, in the first few hours), you'll most likely have an iPhone hand delivered to you by your local UPS/FedEx driver on launch day.

Personally, I'd much rather wake up in the middle of the night to order it online and then go back to bed than to wait in line at a store for several hours simply HOPING that they had the size/model/color I wanted in stock when I got the front of the line.

4. stretch80 macrumors regular

stretch80

Preorder for sure! Just order it as soon as goes live 12am/PDT.

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Going to the store is your best bet. Definitely wait and do that on the 19th. That way, on the 12th, I can order faster and get to bed faster. Then on the 19th I can wait at home in my jammies for FedEx.

6. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking about going in store on the 19th after the lines die down, assuming that there won't be a huge demand for the iPhone 6 Plus with T-Mobile contract free. Or, does this sound like a false premise?

7. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Pre-order FTW. Sitting at HOME waiting for your phone on launch day is so relaxing compared to the lines.

:apple:

8. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Depends where you live. Usually there are lines at most Apple stores for most of the day on release day. Not like you can walk in at 2, there be no line, and walk out at 2:15... at least from my experience

9. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

If possible, I'm going to pre-order and then get it in store.

I want to pre-order but nobody will ever be at home to accept the package and I'd rather not have a brand-new iPhone sitting on my doorstep but I have high school and I'm not going to ask my mom to take off work just to accept my iPhone.

If there's a pre-order to store option I will definitely be picking that, so Friday after school I can just head down with my friend to get it.

Otherwise I'm just going to call, ask them their sales outlook, and hope after school they still have some.

10. calganelle macrumors member

So I have verizon EDGE up program; can I pre-order that way? or do I have to go into the store to "EDGE up"...

11. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

Thanks for replying!

12. volntitan macrumors 6502

How does that work if you want to "trade-in" your old iphone and pre-order a new one? Is that possible without being without a phone while waiting for the new one to deliver?

13. ronm99 macrumors 6502

If you were getting a regular iPhone 6, I would say that you should have no problem.

However, all of the rumor sites indicate that the 6-plus is going to be in very short supply. I wouldn't even be surprised if some stores start with almost zero stock of some models.

If you want to be sure to get it on the first day, try pre-ordering it. If the pre-orders are delayed before you are able to place your order (this has happened in the past), then try going to a store.

14. bcooln thread starter macrumors regular

thanks alot for your help. i will pre-order then, and hopefully it will delivery by fedex because fedex usually delivery early in the morning, compare to like UPS, take them forever to delivery stuff

15. ronm99 macrumors 6502

Depends on how you want to trade-in. Sites like Gazelle allow you to lock in a price now, and send it in some # of days in the future (hopefully after your new phone has arrived).

16. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

You guys are forgetting that it's possible that the iPhones will not be delivered on launch day if they are pre-ordered. During the keynote he said that they will start shipping on the 19th.

17. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Don't worry. This question comes up EVERY year and Apple always delivers early pre-orders by the end of launch day. I'm not saying you can pre-order on the 13th or even noon on the 12th and expect launch day delivery, but that's the day they'll start with until they run out of capacity.

18. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

That's not what happened with the 5S. They were shipped on launch day and we're not received by users for several days.

19. wxman2003 Suspended

deleted

20. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

There was no preorder.

21. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Verizon stores should have the both phones for sale on the 19th, right?

22. wxman2003 Suspended

Yes, but who knows what quantity, capacity or color. I remember when the 5S came out last year, some stores has only 5 or 10, some had none. The corporate stores had some, with many of the Verizon resellers having none. And verizon does not sell Applecare, you have to go to a Apple Store, or authorized Apple dealer to buy it.

23. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

pre ordering for sure.. i'm betting 6+ will be the gold iphone 5s this year.

24. wxman2003 Suspended

I'm sure they will make less of the 6 Plus than the 6. You might actually be able to get the 128GB 6 Plus fairly easy, just because it cost nearly $1000 full price.

25. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

I guess I'm more worried about them actually having the phone in stock rather then how many they have. I plan on being to verizon quite early. Around where I am there hasn't been many lining up at verizon. I would rather go though apple but im on verizon edge. And according to verizon chat I'm not able to pre order with edge either.