Pre-Order prevents getting one in store on Friday?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by biosci, Sep 19, 2012.

1. biosci macrumors 6502a

Just out of curiosity, if you're someone who placed a preorder at a time other than the first 50 minutes the iPhone was available and it's scheduled to ship in October sometime, does that effectively cancel out your chance of getting one in person as well on Friday the 21st? I was thinking about going to a local store after work to see the situation and if they had one, I'd take it. But thinking that I'd have to cancel my apple store order first so I can get the subsidized price.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I am in the exact same situation. I talked to the blue shirts at my local Apple Store yesterday and they were very encouraging. They said to come on in early and I should be able to get one and that they would cancel my online order for me. I was very surprised at how encouraging they were to do this.

3. leoneedees macrumors member

It should be easy for them to cancel the order and of course if you have access on your current phone you can always cancel it yourself.

The only drawback here is sometimes the carrier's systems can take some time to recognize your upgrade as being available again. It usually is within minutes but as we all know when it comes to these carriers it can fluctuate and take longer.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Unless something has been changed that I am not aware of, it shouldn't cancel your chances at all. In fact, I did this with the iPhone 4. I just preferred showing up at the store to make sure I got one.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You should either accept the phone that was preordered.

Or buy one in the store.

These people getting two phones, then returning one just causes lots of work, and delays for others.

6. biosci thread starter macrumors 6502a

But if you get one in store, and cancel the preorder, doesn't that just help others also in queue - I mean, the other people who ordered after 5:30 am on the day of the preorder?! Honestly, it's a bit annoying to read articles that have Apple saying they sold 2mil preorders that day with the MAJORITY being delivered on day 1 and everyone else getting delivered in October. So the majority were placed in the first 30 minutes available for the preorder?

7. sealos macrumors regular

Sorry, but this makes no sense. Who is being delayed? The OP is already on the pre-order list, so they get their phone early.

How does this cause a lot of work and for who? If they buy it early in store, all they have to do is cancel the order and no human is involved except for the OP. Plus it actually might speed up someone else's pre-order (how cool would that be?! for the new person).

8. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

Keep both and sell one.

9. BuckDot macrumors member

Anyone have experience with this while canceling with a carrier while in line at the store?

I'm paying full retail, but that order is already tied to my number, so it would have to clear the VZW system BEFORE my transaction at the Apple store.

10. kalexn macrumors 6502

I agree. I think if someone waits in line and then they cancel their preorder it can go to the next person on the list. As long as it had not been shipped and no restocking had to be done and such.