Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snarestud940

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Hey Everyone,

Hope you all are enjoying your new phones! I ordered a 7+ jet black on launch day, and it is expected to arrive 10/18-10/31. I went to the apple store today, and held a matte black version as well. I really like the jet black, but boy do I like the matte black too lol. I'm considering canceling my order for jet black and ordering a matte black version. Did anyone else think about this as well? Or is the shiny new jet black just better to wait for?

gabriellefunk

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2015
Hey, I ordered a Jet Black 7 on 9/14 through Sprint and have projected dates of 10/19-10/26. The matte black is available now through them and I could have it within two days. I have definitely contemplated doing just that, but man...jet black is just so beautiful.

Lilato

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
I can't decide either. The only difference is that I ordered a black 128 one a week ago and it is scheduled for delivery end of October or order a jet black and wait until mid-end of November.

One thing for anyone new to the Upgrade program to consider is the longer we wait to get a phone, the more we will have to pay next year to get rid of our current phone, if you want to upgrade in September again.

I think the jet black is to die for, while the matte black is the "cool" one. Like a black car and the same one in matte black. They have a different vibe.

Aside from color preference, I'm wondering about some practical things:
- will the jet black be a problem when taking certain pictures because it is so reflective? Like if you're in front of a store window or by a window in a restaurant, taking a picture of something shiny like a sculpture and the phone's glare might reflect right back at it; same thing if a light is hitting it directly: are the people in front of the camera be squinting before you take the picture? I'm looking at my kitchen lights reflectected on the glossy black glass frame of my tv right now and if the lights were stronger, I wouldn't be able to look at it for too long.
- will it blind you when you put it down, since both sides are shiny? I have a gold S6 and sometimes I need to put it out of sight, otherwise you have a glare hitting the corner of your eye.
- hands get sweaty, "dirty" (i.e. cooking, eating), etc and anything that touches your hands stay on your glossy phone until you wipe it off. Clean something with a wipey or put a little moisturizer, wait for your hand to dry, touch your phone and it will get it on it. I'm constantly wiping my phone down, while I don't need to do anything to my gold iPad Pro or iPod, unless I see or feel something.
- gravity happens and phones fall. I don't mind micro scratches or small scratches, but will we get a silver dent if the phone hits the floor?
- this goes for all current 7's: I hope it is not true that the camera lens is NOT saphire. It's a slap in the face to have plastic lenses on a phone of this caliber.

So, I still love the jet black, but, coming from a glossy phone (even though it was metal covered in glass), I assume my concerns still apply, right? Except, unlike the jb, I have no scratches on my phone, just a small dent on the metal edge from a fall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.