Pre-ordered from Apple.com, want to cancel and do ATT.com?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swamyg1, Sep 14, 2012.

1. swamyg1 macrumors regular

I just pre-ordered my iPhone this morning, along with the 2 week wait time.

I was wondering if I could cancel this order and place it through ATT.com because I heard they may be available much, much sooner.

However, when I go to ATT.com I am not eligible for the upgrade since I just used it over at Apple.com. If I cancel my Apple.com order, will it then open up my eligibility immediately so I can order it from ATT.com?

2. samven582 macrumors 6502a

this happen to me last year. It will probable take about 10 days get upgrade back

3. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I remember people doing that last year. You can but might take a couple of days to be upgrade eligible.

4. green94 macrumors regular

I was thinking about doing the same thing - but maybe it isn't worth the hassle.

I ordered 50mins after the pre-orders went live this morning, hoping that the 2 weeks is just a built in buffer.

5. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

Not worth the hassle. There is a good chance things are just going to get screwed up. Just keep your apple order, I have a feeling they are going to ship faster than two weeks.

6. jbellanca macrumors 6502

Yes. I did this this morning. It was about a 5 min wait for the eligibility to show up again on att.com, but it worked just fine.

7. swamyg1 thread starter macrumors regular

Really, hmmm I just posted that I'm not taking the chance but now I'm having second thoughts!

8. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

Be patient. Many times apple moves up those shipping dates. I would not cancel it. Never ordered anywhere but apple. Heard too many horror stories about AT&T orders.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yeah, I'm not convinced that the 2 week ship time is accurate, I ordered my 4 pretty late in the afternoon two years ago and still got it day 0.

10. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

As I have been saying in other similar posts, please be careful ordering through ATT. When you get to the final check out page with them they clearly state, albeit in small print, that they cannot guarantee delivery date and that they ship on a first come first serve basis. They will say that availability startes on 9/21, but it does not/will not give you an actual ship date.

I saw this and decided forget it and will stick with the Apple date.

11. c5ride macrumors member

This exact scenario happened to me when the 4 launched two years ago and even though my eligability changed quickly and it let me put the second order in, the apple system did not cancel the order quick enough so when they synced a couple of days later AT&T still saw the apple order and cancelled theirs. It was a nightmare to get corrected.

Just leave the Apple order.

12. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

my upgrade came back after a i got the confirmation cancel email.

im going to go camp out, id suggest you do the same.

13. swamyg1 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I'm sticking with Apple. Thanks guys appreciate the input!

14. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

Yeah guys thanks for the help too. I was considering the same thing as the OP but its not worth the hassle. Order thmornjnf before 7am so hopefully I got a good shipping time from Apple.

15. james92se macrumors 6502a

Same boat here. Ordered about 2:45 AM after trying non-stop to get in since about 1:55 AM. During the whole process it said it delivers 9/21 then suddenly after submitting the order it changed to the two week deal.

Has anybody checked their order status on Apple's website lately? Mine is now saying delivers on 10/5. Ugh. It was bad enough that I was resigned to getting it 9/27, but this is actually THREE weeks now.

16. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Got my order in at 2:10 am central, still says delivery on 9/21.

17. leenak macrumors 68020

Don't count on getting it sooner from ATt.com. I know it is different but VZW is still showing delivery dates of 9/21 but people checking status online are getting ship dates up to 10/5. I think you'll get it sooner through apple.

18. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Same here. Servers were a lot worse during the iPhone 4 pre-order. I think mine went through around 2pm that Friday and I had my phone delivered one day before the official release.

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That one was kind of a **** show, think I initially started trying at around 9 when I got into the office and probably had everything through at around 4 in the afternoon. I had to swing by AT&T the day I got it and was advised to hide it and not use it until the following day.