Pre-ordering 5s (Yeah, I know, just hear me out)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joeblow7777, Sep 16, 2013.

1. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

What if I told you (hypothetically) that I know of a retailer that has been accepting pre-orders of the 5s since it was revealed on the 10th.

Is it possible that such a retailer could get in trouble for this?

2. twisdit macrumors member

Sprint was taking pre orders since 9/13 for the 5S. I just came back from the sprint store half an hour ago. You get a $50 gift card that you use towards the purchase on Friday and they hold one for you. Just tell them what color and size :D Check with your carrier

3. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Uh, no. Individual retailers can do whatever they want in terms of accepting "pre-orders." Whether they have enough stock to cover all of the pre-orders is another story but they really can do whatever they want.

4. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

A retailer can reserve phones for whatever customers it wants. This retailer is not advertising them as preorders on the internet, which is Apple's likely only requirement

5. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 601

Okay. I was under the impression that there was no way to reserve a 5s before the 20th. That's certainly how people have been acting, talking about logging on to place orders online right at midnight.

So I thought that any retailer or service provider accepting pre-orders might be risking getting their hand slapped by Apple or something.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The only trouble they might get in is with their customers, if they end up being unable to meet the demands of the people they've taken pre-orders from in a reasonable amount of time. If stock is constrained, there's no telling what you might get or when. Especially since historically, Apple has made their own retail channels the priority during a launch period.

And if you're someone preordering from such a vendor, there's no guarantee your pre order will be fulfilled faster than someone ordering at 12:01 am from the Apple website.

7. Holty123 macrumors 6502

Holty123

It's not what you know it's who you know some stores stick to the rules some don't

i have a store who has saved me two iPhones every year since 2007

it's business at the end of the day

8. bwsteg, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

bwsteg macrumors 6502

Unless you went to sprint on the 13th as soon as they opened, you are not guaranteed a 5s. Sprint is very savy. What they do is tell people that they can pre-order by purchasing a $50 gift card. That's half-true, only until they run out of stock. So what happens to the rest of the people? They now spend $50 at that particular store...Genius on the part of sprint...

9. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I've had bad experiences doing a pre order from anyone NOT Apple.

10. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

They are not pre-orders.You are getting in line and that $50 you pony up does not guarantee you a phone on release day.Radio Shack did this last year and it worked for me.Only 2 of us got phones on release day though.

----------

Same with Radio Shack.

11. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

I don't trust others with preordering either.

I have a complicated account so i had to call Verizon and get them to change a couple things so it will go by quickly at the Apple Store. Otherwise i'd probably be there for hours.

I don't trust anyone but Apple for preordering. I don't trust anyone but Verizon for setting up my account.

12. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

If you HAVE to get the 5s, don't go to radioshack unless you call multiple times, they get so few phones it's ridiculous. One time they got a shipment of a grand total of 3 iPhone 5's. Just mind bowing.

13. vigilant, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

Doesn't surprise me at all. If I had to guess, I bet Radioshack gets small shipments because of their seemingly constant violations of advertised price. Interesting article on Business Week I think about how companies that violate that get much smaller shipments.

http://www.businessweek.com/article...phone-discount-defeated-apples-price-controls