Pre-ordering and adding a line at the same time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Halcyon3608, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Halcyon3608 macrumors newbie

Currently, my dad and I are on a Verizon family plan (he owns it, and I'm an authorized manager). I am planning on pre-ordering my 5S through the Apple Store app right away on the 13th, and my dad has asked me to add my mother to the plan and order a 5S for her as well. Is this something I can do through Apple (should I use the app or the website?), or should I go through Verizon's site?

Complicating matters is the fact that my mother's current iPhone is provided by her employer on a separate AT&T plan, and she will be leaving said employer on the 17th and moving 1500 miles on the 23rd. So, it's important that she get a new phone with her old number on launch day if at all possible. There is a Verizon "premium wireless retailer" in the city where they live, and when I called they said they do typically offer the new iPhone on launch day ("depending on pre-orders"). It's a small town in a rural area, so I strongly doubt that there will be lines wrapping around the block. They also said my folks could go pre-order in person and deal with the new line / porting at the same time, but since the store doesn't open until 10 a.m. I'm assuming pre-orders would be sold out by the time my parents got there.

So, for now, I'm operating under the assumption that I should pre-order my mother's phone in the wee hours of the morning on the 13th and just have it shipped to their house. I'm just leery of adding a new line and ported number on top of trying to get the pre-order in as early as possible.

I can call Verizon and see what they have to say, but I figured I'd ask you fine people first on the off-chance that somebody's been through a similar situation.

Thanks!

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Since sometimes the ordering gets bogged and crazy, with tons of us Apple freaks all trying at once….

When I wanted to order the 4S and my line wasn't eligible for an upgrade, I called Sprint and had them set the new line up first, as a ghost line, so I had it waiting with full upgrade credit.

Might want to check in to that with Verizon, it could avoid a ton of snags.

3. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

IT IS A NIGHTMARE TO PREORDER....

I have done it it for 4 iphones and it doesnt matter how early you get up, the first 18hrs or so from when they go live the systems are all messed up. A couple years there AT&T's servers were so overloaded that peoples purchases were going towards other peoples accounts lol.

Last year was the first year i did not preorder and went to the apple store..I showed up at around 10:00am and the line was about 400 people or so. They still had plenty of phones left and they just asked what i wanted and gave me a ticket. I stood in line for about 2hrs or so and then got my phone.

I may do it again this year since it was so easy compared to the preordering online nightmares..

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I did something similar with AT&T.

The website was messing up when I was trying to add a line and preorder the phone so I ended up preordering the phone as a new customer then handling the family plan stuff after I had the new phone in my hands.