Pre ordering from Apple question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by terryh703, Sep 5, 2012.

1. terryh703 macrumors regular

So when the 5 goes on sale for Pre-order and if you are able to snag one will that guarantee you to have it on or before launch? I heard that sometimes you have to wait weeks even if u got it Pre-ordered? :confused:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Depends how fast you preorder.
    If you preorder it on the first few days most likelly you will get it on release date.
    If you order it a week or more after the preorders were available then you will be behind on the wait list and might have to wait till a later shipment to arrive.
    Some times carriers sites run out of preorders and give you expected ship dates a week or more after release day.

3. terryh703 thread starter macrumors regular

Do u think it's going to be hard to Pre order on the first day? I am worried about the site crashing for hours at a time.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It takes patience and waking up in the middle of the night:D
    After many errors and website timeouts you will be able to get one in.

5. terryh703 thread starter macrumors regular

I will most likely be up anyway lol, just nervous they will run out before I get my order in.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will be fine, dont lose any sleep over it:D

7. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

It normally takes a day or two for preorders to run out if you wake up on time you will be fine. I expect the new iPhone to have less demand this time round.

8. leoneedees macrumors member

Pretty much sums it up. The site will be hammered and be unresponsive at times but don't let that get you frustrated. As long as you get the order in during the first 12 hours or even first 24 hours (depending on initial stock), I would be pretty sure you'll get it on release day.

Keep in mind this might be a little different cause of rumors of a same day pre order (all depends when it starts) more people will probably be trying to preorder. Especially east coast guys since it wouldn't be 3am/all night.

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The only guaranteed way to ensure you get one, is to use a dedicated Apple representative if you have one. I email them the day before, and they either phone me back after the launch speech, or send me a direct line telephone number to use. I've done this with all my iPads and iPhones and have always received them the day they hit the stores. Having said that..I'm not sure I'll be jumping in on launch day this time around...Might wait a week or two, since my 4S will run IOS6 anyway it's all about the screen for me.

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

iPhone demand has increased with every release. There's no reason to assume that'll change with the iPhone 5.

11. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

Do you have the facts to back this up?

12. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

So Android phones won't take away some of the demand for iPhones?

----------

The fact that Android is increasing in popularity, surely it would eat into some of Apple's demand. I didn't say there wouldn't be high demand, all I said is that from what I've seen Apple are decreasing in popularity. I would be pleasantly surprised if I was wrong though.

13. Cougarcat macrumors 604

No. The smartphone market is still young. There is plenty of room for Android and Apple to grow without taking away demand for the other.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Who cares about android phones and what does it have to do with this discussion?
    This thread is about preordering the new iphone.
    It will be another record breaking iphone release with tons of media attention and billions more for Apple.
    Wake me up when a single android phone gets close to the iphone's popularity.
    1 phone, not 134 different models released against 1 release per year.

15. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Thank you.

+1.

Android is an OS and manufactures have been pushing out hundreds of phones a year to gain market share, apple pushes out one new phone a year. It is incredible apple is still this far ahead.

16. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Sometimes with some items people get their items before the "shipping" date that Apple announces, but not usually iPhones. I know with store deliveries, sometimes they can instruct the carrier to hold them until a certain date. Does anyone know if Apple has done this to individuals' preorder shipments in the past?

Regardless though, if I don't get my preorder in within a couple of hours of the announcement, I think I'll have better luck getting one on launch day by camping out. I've never done it before (with any product) and I'm just dying to have *something* on the first day it comes out. :D

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, many people have gotten their preorders a day or 2 early by mail before.

18. saud0488 macrumors 6502

You must not have seen the story on how the GS3 is outselling the 4s.

And demand won't be as high since it's another iPhone 4 basically.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, a brand new cellphone is outselling for a month the iphone 4S that came out what 11 months ago? Is that really a comparison?
    Everyone knows the next iphone is coming very soon and waiting for the iphone 5.
    Wake me up when the GS3 sells anywhere near as many units as the iphone did in a whole year.
    Not in a single month where the 4S is old and ready to be replaced with a new iphone.
    I will take a bet that the next iphone will sell just as good and maybe better than the previous iphone and its not just an iphone 4.
    We dont even know for sure what it is yet, but it does have some nice rumored upgrades from the 4S. LTE and bigger screen are on the top of my list.

20. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Don't feed the trolls, juiced. ;)

But thank you for letting me know about the early delivery. Now that would be an exciting unboxing, a day plus early!!!

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, Im looking forward to it too.
    Rub it in that I got it earlier to people that are still waiting for the release day to go camp out and wait in lines?
    Maybe:D

22. wongulous macrumors 6502a

It would still be fun to camp out... ;) And you could pull out your new iPhone 5 randomly and ask if this was the line waiting for Starbucks to open.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    If I had the time, patience and not all the daily responsibilities I'd do it just for the fun of it.
    If Im crazy enough and end up first in line I might even make the local news as "that guy" that's first in line for the new iphone:D LMAO

24. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

Thats funny you say that. There was a guy who owns a store in our mall that waited in the line for the iPhone 4 just so he could get into his store early.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, that's one dedicated business owner right there:D
    So in the end he didnt get an iphone? He just waited to get in the mall before anyone else?