Pre-ordering in Canada...help a newb understand

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ShaolinX, Sep 11, 2012.

1. ShaolinX macrumors member

Hey guys and gals, from what I understand reading various threads below, in the US a factory unlocked (i.e. off-contract, free to choose the provider) iPhone 5 will not go on sale until roughly a month after these pre-orders.

Does this apply to Canada as well, or can we indeed pre-order a factory unlocked version right off the bat? Any fellow Canucks with experience or advice in this regard? I'd definitely like to have one in hand and ready since I head overseas on vacation later this fall and it would be good to have some time to acclimate to the iOS 6 ecosphere -- this will be my first iPhone, so I am a true newb (be gentle haha).

Cheers, and my thanks in advance for any help or insight given. Thanks alot!

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

3. ShaolinX thread starter macrumors member

sviato, thanks very much for both the link and the answer! I know in the US they clearly don't want to waste their pre-order inventory on those not wanting to lock in on contract with a provider -- it's nice to think that we will likely have the option to purchase full, factory unlocked phones for pre-order in Canada.

Cheers! I appreciate it = )

4. Saberon macrumors 6502a

AFAIK Canada had day 1 pre-orders of Unlocked 4S