Pre Ordering iPhone 5 (AT&T to Verizon)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by md63, Sep 12, 2012.

1. md63 macrumors 6502

My situation is I have been a long time AT&T customer with unlimited iPhone Data plan and a 21% FAN discount. I have an iPhone 4, live in NYC and have been so frustrated with dropped calls, bad phone quality, and throttling of my unlimited data that I am very much considering jumping ship to Verizon.

Any possibility that Verizon would put me on a discount plan similar to my FAN from AT&T? I know I would loose the unlimited data, however, its not really unlimited since its throttled.

With the new iPhone 5, will the AT&T and Verizon models be the same? Can I choose carrier after receiving the device?

Thanks

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, you pick a carrier before buying the device.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, as with all cell phones from VZW, they do not use the same tech that AT&T uses.

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

If I recall correctly, FAN discounts are typically negotiated by your employer. It's doubtful that Verizon would give you a equivalent discount, since those discounts are typically negotiated with the promise of bringing in lots and lots of people buying phones.

Of course, ignore what I say if you yourself are the employer. In that case, it doesn't hurt to ask.

And as someone already mentioned, the AT&T and Verizon versions will be different. So you'll have to choose your carrier at the time of purchase.

5. dirtclod macrumors member

I switched to Verizon for the same reasons and have no regrets except that I got a Motorola (which doesn't suck, but I'd rather have an iPhone). I got 4MB of data and never come close to that figure. I'm not a data hog though in my usage.

I'm eligible for an upgrade in just under 11 months. I wonder if I can hold out that long. The iPhone 5 looks very tempting. I certainly don't understand the hate.