Pre-ordering iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bszelda, Aug 26, 2012.

1. bszelda macrumors newbie

So...I would like to get one whenever it's released but I am just wondering if they will be available for purchase without a contract on launch day. I assume that they will be available with a contract. The reason is that I'm not sure that I want to renew my 2 year contract with ATT (I'm eligible for the upgrade)...

2. Dennis187, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

Dennis187 macrumors regular

Dennis187

No clue, but I posted anyways.

er, you might not be able to until a month later or so.

3. aluren macrumors 65816

The 4S unlocked didn't come out until a month or so after release date...

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I highly doubt they'll be available for the first few months. Rumors suggest Apple will have a restricted supply, more so than years past. There is a component supply issue already. Therefore Apple will be starting out upon release with less units than the original plan.

5. bszelda thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugh...yeah I bet it will be only available for contracts at first. Looks like I may have to extend my contract to get one early... :-/

6. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

Shouldn't you be able to pay full price at AT&T, instead of waiting for a unlocked version from Apple?

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yep, any carrier would gladly take your money for a full priced iPhone.

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

If you do not renew, where will you get service and how much will it cost?

But - since NOBODY knows what the phone will have, what the contract price will be, what the off contract price will be.... pretty hard to answer anyways.

9. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

You don't have to be on contract to get service. You only sign a contract to get your iPhone cheaper.

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Lolwut? Source please.

Quite to the contrary, many leaks suggest they'll be more available than before.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You can always buy the phone contract free and pay full retail pricing on launch day, but if you want an unlocked phone you may have to wait.

12. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I would bet if you bought an AT&T iPhone... you could pay full price, but it would still be an AT&T phone, not an unlocked phone.

If you want it unlocked, you have to wait for sure. But I do not see why they wouldn't let you pay full price.

I just sold my old iPhone 4 on eBay (the girlfriend got my 4S), and I picked up the GS3 from ATT to use until the new phone comes out. This way I can give Android another try (I had the GS2 for work, did not like it though) while I wait for the new phone assuming I do not keep the S3

13. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

If you pay full price with AT&T and then finish your existing contract, won't they unlock it once you're month to month? Isn't that their policy now?

14. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

That's all nice and logical, but demand is such that no vendor , or Apple will sell full price on day one.

----------

You would be 100% correct :)

15. mattopotamus, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012

mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I could walk into apple on day 1 and buy my iphone for the full retail price tied to my at&t account w/o extending it out. The same way if you were not due for an upgrade they would let you buy the phone at full retail price. I think many people are confusing a phone at full retail price and an unlocked phone you can use on any carrier.

You are always allowed to buy a phone at full retail pricing. When you walk into apple on launch day, they would tell you that you cannot upgrade, so would have to pay the full price. They would NOT tell you, "sorry you cannot upgrade, there is no option for you."

16. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Wow, so the iPhone 3GS, 4 and three 4S's we bought on each launch day at full price, unlocked, direct from Apple were figments of my imagination?

Darn :confused:

17. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

18. iWantThat macrumors member

This

19. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Whatever you say. Good Luck.

20. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You are 100% correct.

21. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

22. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I know this, b.c I have done this. Even the day they let you pre-order it would tell me on apple's website "you are only eligible for full retail pricing" and I can order on the day everyone else can.

23. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Buying an unlocked iPhone and buying a phone for a specific carrier are two totally different things. You have always been able to buy a locked iPhone on day 1 for full price.

24. techguy20 macrumors 6502

You can get the "off-contract" phones at full price, and with the iPhone 4S purchased like this for AT&T, they were "unlocked" when you plugged them into iTunes.

25. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

amazing how confused people can get. The iPhone 4s is the EXACT same hardware for every single carrier worldwide, THE IMEI is what locks it to each carrier. WHEN YOU BUY a full retail priced iphone from the APPLE STORE, it is already factory unlocked, they more often than not WILL NOT tell you that, but t is. As such will be the case for the new iphone as well. I can pretty much guarantee it.