Pre-ordering iPhone from AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Sep 10, 2012.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

So, this time I'm going to use my dad's upgrade since he isn't going to use his. I am an authorized user on the account and I'll be ordering online. Do we need to be in the store together for me to activate the phone on my line? I had planned to ship it to myself and we don't live in the same city. Will this be an issue?

Thanks!

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Not sure what the current, or soon to be release, rules are.

But, in the past, I have done different line upgrades at least three times. The "other" user and their phone were nowhere around. I just went into store and told them what I wanted to do. One I did over the phone. One I attempted to do over the phone, but it would not work, so I went to store. Took but a few minutes.

3. dave006 macrumors 68020

First, ordering from AT&T's web site will require that the iPhone be shipped to the current billing address on the account. Check your billing address since I would expect it to be your Dad's address.

There is always some risk to the donor line during and Upgrade Swap. This risk all depends on the skills of the rep doing the swap. Does your Dad have an iPhone and an iPhone data plan? Sometimes the voicemail of the donor line gets reset and sometimes their current SIM get's deactivated by the rep trying to complete the upgrade swap. If your Dad's SIM get's deactivated, he will need to get a new SIM from AT&T. Once a SIM is deactivated, AT&T will not allow it to be reused. :mad:

Dave

4. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

You will need to go in the store once you activate the phone. The phone's sim card will be with the number that was used for the upgrade. So you will need to get a new sim for your dad as well as one for you...