Pre-ordering iPhone through Verizon... what was your experience like last year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SR71, Sep 8, 2012.

1. SR71 macrumors 68000

So, I want to have a backup method in case the Apple Online Store is swamped when I pre-order the iPhone 5 later this week, and I realized that I haven't seen many posts about how peoples pre-orders went with Verizon last year with the 4S. Did you get your 4S on release day or did it ship on release day and get delivered a few days later? Was it quicker/smoother than doing the pre-order through the Apple Online Store?

Thanks!

2. 02rk4cruzin macrumors newbie

I ordered 4 when it came to Verizon in 2010. It arrived on release date.

3. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

How long did it take for your pre-order to go through on Verizon's website as opposed to the Apple Online Store?

4. kannesss macrumors 6502a

Mine got there within a week. It went as well as possible. No issues really except activating. That took about an hour on the phone I guess because so many other people were trying. Can't do much about that though

5. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Do you remember if you preordered it on Oct. 7th and received it a few days after Oct. 14th, or did you actually get it on Oct. 14th?

Thanks!

6. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Pre-ordered from Apple.com on Oct. 7 and iPhone 4S arrived on launch day: Oct 14 as advertised.

Dave

7. irDigital0l Guest

When I ordered the 4 from then, it was seamless.

8. Blinny83 macrumors member

Good experience here. Order went through right away. Arrived on launch day. FedEx driver looked dog tired.

9. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I ordered my 4S through Verizon last year...it was way faster then the apple website. The apple website was down for a while and I had my order done and I was in bed before the apple store was even up. I got mine right on the same day, just as if I had ordered it from Apple. The only downside is that if you order it through Apple you get a tracking number pretty soon afterwards and you can see your phone being shipped from China to your house. I am assuming Verizon gets a huge shipment from Apple and then sends them out because I didn't get a tracking number till a few days before delivery and it was right from a central hub.

In short I liked ordering from Verizon better the only downside is you don't get a tracking number right away which freaks a lot of people out. (people tend to go a little crazy at iPhone launches, it's funny they think they can do FedEx's job better then FedEx can.)

One bad thing about ordering from Apple, or at least from some of my friends experiences, was that Apple could only ship to the billing address on the account. I don't know if that was just a fluke for my friend but he had his order cancelled on him because he tried to get it shipped to a different address.

10. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

I was just looking back at last years Verizon iPhone 4S preorder thread and noticed that a lot of people's preorder info said "Ship Date: 10/14/11", when that was actually supposed to be the day preorders should've been delivered. Did that mean that they were being delivered on 10/14/11 like they were supposed to be or were they shipped on that day and delivered a few days later? If the latter is what happened, I'd prefer ordering through Apple, or else what's the point of a preorder if you aren't getting the item you preordered on launch day?

Pretty much, I want to make sure I get the phone on launch day if I preorder it. I know that Apple has no problem getting their shipments to their customers on launch day, but have heard different things from Verizon (then again I've also heard that Verizon sometimes ships them out early). If Verizon can get it to me on launch day, I'll be happy haha.

Thanks for posting about your experience, by the way! This helps a lot! :)

11. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

That is why people where freaking out because the Verizon site kind of sucked in regards to tracking your order. It said that but we all (as far as I know of) got our tracking orders and our phones arrived on the 14th as they where suppose to.

All I know is I ordered it on the Verizon website and it came on launch day just as it was suppose to. As did many others. I am probably going to order it form there again since I am expecting the Apple website to crash and I don't plan on staying up the whole night waiting on it to come back up.

12. iPhalandrew macrumors member

preordered my 4S on the sunday or preorders (preorders started on the previous friday) and my phone arrived on october 20th

13. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ahh, thats what I was just reading in the preorder thread from last year... legit have already read 20 pages into that thread just so I know what to expect in case VZ ****s up or something. Also, just checked something on VZ's website and made a fake order for the iPhone 4S and noticed that my fake order qualified for a "special offer" discount or something along those lines. The 4S's price was $329.99 (for the 32GB), while the same order on Apple.com is $345.21 or something. Even more reason to go with VZ over Apple... I could use that $15 on a screen protector or a case or something.

Thanks for the quick reply, by the way. This is my first time pre-ordering anything from Apple and I want to be able to expect the worse, while hoping for the best.

14. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

That's another reason I am going with Verizon again this year, the upgrade I am going to use has an additional $30 discount on it. To bad they calculate tax from the full price of the phone though instead of the subsidized price. Wish I could preorder this through the AAFES so I could get it tax free.

15. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

How does Apple do their tax when compared to Verizon? Shouldn't they do it the same way?

16. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

They do as far as I know of, they both do it off of the full price of the phone.

17. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ahh, I see. I thought you were saying that VZ calculated tax based off the unsubsidized price, while Apple calculated tax based off the subsidized price... was gonna say that's pretty dumb that VZ would do that. Most likely ordering through VZ now.

18. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I wish but nope both screw you over on the tax pretty hard...I am just spoiled though since I don't have to pay for tax on a lot of stuff.

19. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, I wish I didn't have to pay tax on it, but whatever, it's worth it. Thanks for all the help. Really cleared up a lot of murky areas for me.

----------

Oh, I almost forgot. Does the name in the billing info need to match the name on the CC? I got my debit card last year and was 16 back then and wasn't able to have the card in my name and I had to have it in my moms name. At the checkout screen it asks for my billing info but defaults to the main account holders info. All the info is correct except for the first name. I will want to change it to my name so that when I receive the package in the mail, it'll have my name and not my dads (so we don't get confused). Do you know if this will cause any issues?

All the other billing info is the same, I was just wondering if changing the billing name would cause any issues.

20. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I used my credit card to buy my iPhone 4S last year and it is not the default billing info, I believe I changed the name and it worked fine. As for the shipping I had it delivered to a different address then the billing address. I remember I was concerned that it would say it was being shipped to my dad and not to me, and honestly I forget which name ended up on the package but it all worked out in the end...worst case scenario its addressed to your dad and when you open it up there should be a piece of paper with the order on it and it will say if it is for your line or your dad's. I can look to see if I still have my box that it came in but I think I threw it out..it might come addressed to your dad that is the one thing I don't remember 100%. I just know I was in some sort of the same situation.

21. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Alright, sounds good. I didn't think it'd cause any issues, but you never know... I mean changing the bill address cancelled your friends pre-order on Apple's website last year, so you never know. Good to know it shouldn't affect anything, though.

Thanks again! ;)

22. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

That was something to do with how Apple handled the orders though because mine had no problem at all coming to my school which is not the billing address for the account.

Just try to relax during the next few weeks...preorder your iPhone through Verizon (or Apple) and just try not to stress about it, it will get here on time. It is crazy how many people go crazy worrying the phone is not going to get here on time, just remember that FedEx kind of does this for a living, they know how to get packages from point A to point B. So relax and try not to worry about it. If this is your first iPhone launch you will see just how crazy some people get on here.

23. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, and I'm one of them lol. Thanks again for all the info! I'll try not to stress it, but I'll still end up checking the order info every 2 seconds.

24. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes they both calculate tax based on the price you pay, not the full un-subsidized price except in 3 States.

This is only correct in 3 states. In Califorina, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island, you will be taxed based on the full price.

Dave

25. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Damn, I'm in Massachusetts lol.