Pre ordering new iPhone in the UK........!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StuartMoore, Aug 20, 2012.

1. StuartMoore macrumors regular

Hi all.

So as per my previous post, my iPhone 4 has now been sold and I'm using a mates 3GS until the new one is released.
    I'm new to pre ordering on day of release, so unsure as to how and when it works......? :confused:

Will it just be a case of going to the Apple Store UK site on day of release!? Can I Pre order as soon as it's announced! Also, do I put card details in at the time of pre ordering then the amount is debited once the handset is shipped?

Thanks, Stuart.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have to wait and see, however in the past I think per-orders have been available. If you don't get lucky with Apple then start with the carriers.

3. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

Okay.......I assumed it would be a cert getting it from Apple in the UK!? I'm buying it outright.......

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It depends on demand and the numbers Apple have in stock. If you are buying outright then the Apple on-line store should be your first stop. After that hit the re-sellers.

5. toondw macrumors 6502

It will be a case of sitting on your pc......waiting for just the right point to buy it. If anything like the 4s per-order it will be a nightmare! Took me about 30 goes before I could log onto the apple site and try to order............and still I failed! ;) so I waited a couple of weeks and reserved one in branch. All the fun of a apple release!

This time I will be logged onto the pc, the iPad and the iPhone as well as the wife's, iPad and iPhone......one of them is bound to get through the ordering process!

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I randomly woke up at 03:30 GMT in the middle of the night and brought one then. Surprisingly the store loaded straight up! :D

7. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

I see!! Sounds like a bit of a nightmare. Looking ahead at my work rotation, I'll be offshore and on night shift. Might sway in my favour on launch date for ordering.........soon see! :)

Getting hyped!

8. macinhand macrumors regular

macinhand

I wouldn't say it is a nightmare! i have always got my iPhones through the online Apple store using pre-order and never had a problem! You do obviously get page reload lag as the site gets that many hits buy that just adds to the excitement.

You get the phone delivered on the day of release and even on one occasion i got the phone delivered the day before as a number of other people did due to a mix up with the courier!

Some people love the hype of queuing up for hours to get it direct from the Apple retail store but for me online order suits me best.

HTH :cool:

9. Sbary128 macrumors newbie

I want to be the first one to get an iPhone 5. So i need to wait in front of the apple store ? Any one help me ?

10. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

What difference does it make if your the first or the 1,000,000. It's a phone.

11. Twixt macrumors 6502

In any case you won't be original with that phone, your neighbor, colleague, bus driver will have exact same device

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Last year you could pre-order from Apple a week before they went on sale and it went live around 8:30am.

13. tarsins macrumors regular

tarsins

I preorderered the last three iPhones from Apple UK and each one arrived on the day of release. My main concern with this release is the nano SIM: if the rumours are true, will the UK carriers have these SIMS from release day?

14. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I preordered my 4 for collection in store on release day. Then went and lined up (in the reserved already line at the Bullring) and got about number 7. The non reserved line had to wait until afterwards from what I could see.
    As for the micro sim, I bought out right as well but went to O2 a couple of days before to pick one up. As long as you could prove you had reserved an iPhone they gave you one. I then transferred to that Sim and then snapped it out of thr bigger surround when I got there. Turned out they had sims in store, but if you do it this way you would be on a temporary number for a few days.
    I guess it will work the same with the new micro sim.

15. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Black countraaayy

I'm from Brierley Hill.. :D

[​IMG]

:D

16. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Yeah you will be fine if you have cash to buy it outright. Just keep yooir finger on the pulse. Make sure you know what is happening on the 12th. Could be that pre orders go up straight after the event. I remember pre ordering my iPhone 4 for release. Stayed up all night watching big bang theory, before I became a boring responsible human.

17. tarsins macrumors regular

tarsins

Aren't the nano SIMs thinner? Will we be able to "shave" them?

18. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

[​IMG]

:D

19. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

This is my concern also. I'm due an upgrade through O2, but just gonna buy the device outright from Apple. Then possible upgrade to one of sim only contracts through O2. Or maybe get a Giff Gaff sim........

Hope the carriers etc have sims in the pipeline for release day.......

Stuart.

20. Azzin macrumors 68040

Giff Gaff didn't offer Micro SIMs for quite some time (they do now), so don't pin your hopes on them for release day.

21. tarsins macrumors regular

tarsins

22. Furifo macrumors 6502

What are Three like with having new style sims available on release day? Does anybody remember what they were like when the micro sim was introduced?

23. Azzin macrumors 68040

I was with Vodafone when I got my Micro SIM in June 2010 and I just walked into a VF store and asked for a SIM and they transferred me over there on the spot (that doesn't help with your 3 query I know! :D )

24. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Haha this made me laugh, being from Walsall.

Back on topic, I reserved my 4 for collection in the bullring store last year, but will be buying the 5 outright (lucky me) this year.

Hopefully Apple's web servers don't get too clogged up with requests!

25. StuartMoore, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

I hoping to move over to Giff Gaff, so fingers crossed they get things in place.......