Pre-ording the iPhone 5 through Verizon with a transferred upgrade.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ghiggz, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Ghiggz macrumors newbie

I'm on a family plan and only one of the phones on that plan is eligible for a discounted upgrade and it's not mine. So, I've used My Verizon to transfer that upgrade to my line. It looks like this works on Verizon's site, but I tested it on the Apple Store and it didn't work. I selected an iPhone 4S and put in the phone number of the line with the transferred upgrade and the rest of my information, but Apple is still coming up with a price of $649 rather than the discounted $200 even though I transferred my upgrade.

So it looks like I'll have to pre-order through Verizon's online store because it actually recognizes the fact that I transferred the discounted upgrade. Is this feasible? Will Verizon have iPhone 5 pre-orders available as soon as the Apple Store does?

2. Clemson39 macrumors newbie

How did you switch upgrades on verizon. I tried this and when I hit transfer upgrade button it makes me select a phone to upgrade to.

3. Ghiggz thread starter macrumors newbie

Sign in to your account and then hit "get upgrade status."

Also you should be in the main account on your family plan.

4. M87 macrumors 65816

It doesn't permanently swap the upgrade status, if you don't pick a phone and go through with it your status will remain exactly as it was. If you want to order from Apple you have to use the line that is actually eligible. I plan to do this with my iPad line. I'd prefer to order from Apple, but I'm worried I'd be in for a headache from Verizon if I do.

5. Clemson39 macrumors newbie

I signed into my account and hit get upgrade status for all devices and then it showed all three of my devices I clicked transfer upgrade under the phone that is eligible and changed it to my phone but it won't let me hit continue intill I check the phone I want to upgrade. But I don't want to upgrade now, I just want to switch the upgrades.... HELP PLAESE

----------

Oh ok mybad so when the iphone 5 goes up for preorder just go through verizon like I just did but select the iphone 5

6. Ghiggz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. It does the same thing for me. The upgrade doesn't stay switched, so you have to do it right after transferring it.

7. Clemson39 macrumors newbie

Do you think verizon will have the iphone 5 up for preorder as soon as apple does

8. Ghiggz thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you even read my original post? lol That one guy said yes.

9. Ryanb1281 macrumors member

contract extension

If you do the transfer upgrade through the Verizon website, which phone's contract gets extended?

For example, if PhoneEligible and PhoneNot are two lines on the account, and I transfer the upgrade from PhoneEligible to PhoneNot and buy the iPhone 5 to replace PhoneNot, which line gets the two year extension?

An online Verizon chat rep. told me that the contract of the line that receives the upgrade (PhoneNot) would get extended because the contract extension always goes with the new phone. She also said the only thing that would happen to PhoneEligible is that its upgrade date would become what was the upgrade date of PhoneNot.

However, I've read some things on forums online that suggest that contract of PhoneEligible would be extended because you were using its eligibility in order to upgrade PhoneNot.

Any thoughts?

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yes, all will go live at 3:00 AM EST.