Pre-pay that works.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iammike1, Apr 30, 2012.

1. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I'm currently stationed in Japan but I have one of the unlocked iPhone 4S phones that came from Apple unlocked. I'll be headed back to the states in a few months so if the next iPhone isn't out yet, I'm planning on going pre-pay with the 4S until the new phone comes out.

My question is this, who offers the best pre-pay feature wise? I'm not so much worried about price but I'd like a normal or near-normal experience like one might have with a contracted iPhone on ATT or Verizon.

2. forcetactic macrumors 6502

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

The first consideration you should check out is which network gives you the best coverage where you reside and work, and then look at deals.

It does not matter how good a deal is if that network offers patchy or fringe coverage.

4. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Baltimore and DC area. I'll have to see what looks good in the area.

5. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

6. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Thanks! That's perfect!

7. BiggAW macrumors 68020

8. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

What do you mean by an "ST" sim? Also, why would I need an AT&T SIM to use a pre-pay from someone else in a factory unlocked iPhone?

9. BiggAW macrumors 68020

ST= Straight Talk. ST sells T-Mobile and AT&T SIMs, the iPhone doesn't work with T-Mobile's 3G/4G network, so you'd need an AT&T one.

EDIT: It's a Straight Talk SIM, but it's one that uses the AT&T network. ST is an MVNO, they resell service from Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile through the SIM program, and all four through pre-paid phones in Wal-Mart.

10. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Ahhh, gotcha. Do they sell just the SIM at Wal-Mart? If so, that would make it incredibly convenient when I get back to the states.

11. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

No, SIM is not sold at B&M stores. You must order it online from straighttalk.com...

Cost is $15 plus ship, you can choose either an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM. You will want the AT&T variety if you are using an iPhone; also, they sell MicroSIM so you don't need to cut it.

12. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Cool, I'll do some research. Would be nice if I could have it purchased and in and with me when I land in the states. lol

Thanks for the help!

13. BiggAW macrumors 68020

You can if you have a business associate/ friend/ family member do that for you and pay them back.

14. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

So I'm reading on their site and want to make sure I understand something correctly.

If I ordered the SIM and $45 Unlimited Plan Card, the actual plan wouldn't start until I activated the Plan Card, correct?

In other words, I could buy now (for example) and in 3 months when I land in the states I could activate the Plan Card and start my first month?

15. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I think. Hopefully someone else can clarify. As long as you send it to a friend/ relative/ business associate who is here.

16. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

I live in Annapolis and use the Straight Talk $45 plan. It is great!