Preaching to the Elderly

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shotglass, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I have a problem. My dad is religious and so is my mom, but my father's parents never really were. My grandfather was an ardent antitheist, and he died three months ago. My parents convinced my grandma to have a Christian funeral for him, something he would have been utterly disgusted by. In general, my parents have been proselytizing the **** out of my grandma, who after years of this is still very much on the fence. She told me this a few days ago when the subject came up. Despite being brought up by Catholics, she is a deist at most, and I get the feeling she's really not a friend of religious fundamentalism.
    The problem I have with this whole thing is that my parents are obviously abusing my grandmother's situation (at her age, life is put into perspective, especially with the recent death of her husband) to shove their archaic superstition down her throat. Today, when they put a Christian bumper sticker on her car "as a friendly gesture", I almost threw up.
    I've tried telling them how wrong I think this is, but my mom basically told me to shut up.

Please help me, people of PRSI.

EDIT—Oh, and all the Jesusfreaks, please keep out of this thread.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Sounds like your Grandmother is more forgiving of her children then your parents are of theirs. I think its the ultimate sign of disrespect when you go against the final wishes of the deceased.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I respectfully disagree - see below.

In my opinion, they - meaning your parents AND your grandmother - disrespected your grandfather's wishes by doing this, especially if he made his wishes known to everyone either in life or in a will. Hard to defend this decision, IMO.

"Obviously abusing" your grandmother? :confused:

You might not agree with either their religious beliefs or their choice to "preach" to her, as you call it - but it hardly amounts to "abuse." She's a big girl; if she wants to put a stop to it, she will.

You say things like this, and I can't help but think your description of the events (going back to characterizing your parents' behavior as "abuse," for example) is skewed by your own bias.

With all due respect, my opinion is that this is not your call any more than it's your parents'. They're well within their bounds to talk to your grandmother about their beliefs, even if their intent is to try to influence her. And you're certainly within your bounds to do the same. But to tell your parents that they can't "preach," in my opinion, is wrong - especially if you plan to "preach" something to your grandmother as well.

This is PRSI - you're going to hear it from both sides, most likely. And just like with your grandmother, you don't get to choose who can and can't post in a thread.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well if you are as disrespectful to religion with your parents as you are here, I'm not surprised your mom told you to shut up.

For what its worth, as a believer (ie, Jesusfreak to you) I agree that your parents are going to far in their attempts to share the gospel with your grandmother.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Stories like this make me sick. More and more, I am starting to HATE religious people. Imagine, putting your thoughts on someone else's property and calling it a friendly gesture. unfortunately, if your grandmother doesn't stick up for herself and her husband (who obviously can not), there is probably nothing you can do but grin and bare it.

or you can go to war.... put one of those darwin fishes on their car, get the family bible and the white out and go nuts, etc....

6. Shotglass thread starter macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I'm not surprised either. But what do you mean, disrespectful to religion? Why on earth should I show respect?

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The darwin fishes are one thing, they are easily peeled off. However, it is over the line to suggest defacing the Bible like that.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You should at least respect your parent's belief in their religion. When you talk to your parents about this, do you denigrate their religion like you have done here? Do you call them jesusfreaks? Do call their beliefs archaic superstition? Do you attempt to have a civilized and rational conversation or do you just attack like a rabid religion hater?

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Yes but can't he can ignore posts from certain members if he chooses to, right? Besides, he basically is just telling you guys to not waste your time.....

That book of lies has cause more pain and suffering then any other work of fiction in the history of the world.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Maybe for the same reason you'd likely want people to respect your beliefs?

He can and likely will. As for what he's telling me, I wouldn't consider myself a "Jesusfreak," but perhaps some might disagree.

That book has also brought more happiness and meaning to people than any other work in the history of the world. You take out of it what you choose to; if pain and suffering is your thing, then that's likely what you'll take from it.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's just a book. You can deface a copy of The Origin of Species if it will even the score.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Telling the OP to deface something that is important to his parents, is not going to do anything but escalate the tension in that family.

13. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

A little Goof Off will take care of that sticker--they sell it at ACE, Home Depot, Lowes, and almost every other hardware store. Other than that it doesn't matter how you get buried I am a Deist myself I'm not going to give a rats ass what happens to my corpse or if I have an afterlife for that matter I have no expectations as to the Deity's plans for me(or promises humans make to themselves in its supposed name), nor do I believe the Deity gives a **** the only thing I conclude is that some sort of creator existed--my condolences for your loss though....nothing lasts forever--enjoy it while you can.

14. Shotglass thread starter macrumors 65816

Shotglass

My parent's beliefs are that I as their son am not worthy of respect.
    Their holy book commands them to stone me if I disobey their orders.
    Their holy book commands that if our neighbor was gay, they should stone them.
    Their holy book commands that if my mother spoke without her head being covered, my father should shave her hair.
    Their holy book commands hatred, bigotry, misogyny, racism and homophobia.
    Why on earth should I respect their religion?

15. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

You, my friend, obviously know nothing about Christianity.

And, this is a completely serious question, if you're an atheist and your grandfather was an atheist, what does it matter what they did with his body after he died? He exists no more. A Christian burial can't be disrespectful because he doesn't exist anymore to be disrespected, right? I'm honestly curious about this.

16. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

That's why it was my second plan. Grin and bare it: first plan.

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Sounds like he knows a lot. Was anything he just posted wrong?

18. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

The better question is, was anything he posted correct?

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

See Tomorrow's response.

There seems to be a lot of anger directed by you toward your parents. Obviously, I have no idea about the relationships and family dynamics between you; your parents; and your grandmother. But I hope that they all get resolved soon. Life is too short.

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Do you really think that your parents are going to stone you if you disobey them? Do you really think your father is gonna shave your mother's hair?

People are able to think for themselves, you know. Not everyone just does every single thing that a single book tells them to for no other reason than that book told them to do it. You come across as very naïve, short-sighted, and borderline sarcastic when you characterize all Christians that way.

21. 184550 Guest

As they say, ignorance is bliss.

22. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

You don't have to respect their religion, but tolerate it as long as what they do from that twisted book does not counter societal laws. The book may say they can stone people but the law also says assault is illegal and should they ignore the law then that is a whole nother matter by which a holy book written by desert dwelling arabs and translated by the roman empire cannot protect them from.

Now if they are actually stoning people I'd suggest calling the cops not only are they breaking the law but they are also in fact breaking the rules of that book about following the laws of the land.

A little confusing aint it?

23. Shotglass thread starter macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Of course not, they're Christians. They don't give a **** about what the bible says. BUT the bible is holy to them.
    How come they call it the HOLY Bible then? How come they think God is omnipotent, if they don't even trust his writing? How come they do anything in the Bible if they think that half of it is crap anyway?
    Yeah, I'm sure you're all doing a whole lot of thinking.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

But they are disrespecting their own parents' beliefs aren't they? Are they not trying to force their beliefs on their own mother? How rude is that? They don't deserve one ounce of respect and should be told to leave their parent alone. This has to be terrible for his grandmother. They EVEN put a bumper sticker on her car that she doesn't want! And you think that these people deserve respect?

Sorry- no ********** way. They're rude, pushy jerks to do this.

OP- support your grandma. As for your parents, tell them to knock it off. If they can't see how awful they're being, try this:

Tell them that no matter how much they badger her, in her own mind, she will never accept their beliefs as her own. BUT she may go to her grave resenting the crap out of her own kids.

25. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Lee, I have to disagree. I think everyone deserves some respect, but I know you have a different take on that. I think we can all agree that the parents are jerks, though.