Predator Drones and the ACLU

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Jan 21, 2010.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

aclu.com

The ACLU has decided that it’s their business to approve our tactics against terrorists and have insinuated themselves into US war policy by filing a Freedom of Information Act request in regards to the US drone program. I don't think the US military would appreciate the ACLU dictating policy to them.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is the USA, not China. We have every right to know what our government does, and whether or not it complies with international law. We pay for this stuff. We have absolutely every right to know about it.

3. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Not everyone has the right to know everything, this has always been the case and is the case here.

ACLU is grandstanding.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Sorry, Lee, but I think you are wrong. And I say this as someone who works in the defense industry. It's not okay for everyone to know everything like this.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

When you take out wedding parties instead of terrorists, you need to take a step back and make sure you are doing things right.

6. No1451 macrumors 6502

Transparency is good but not when it endangers the feasibility of protecting your nation. The gov has to(obviously) follow international law but as to freedom of information there are just some things that should not, in my opinion, go past certain ears/eyes

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I am sure they have mastered the art of blacking out confidential stuff.

8. No1451 macrumors 6502

Just because it's redacted doesn't mean it can't be potentially harmful.

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Definitely. But I doubt the ACLU is going to be able to fix that. :rolleyes:

10. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Not as harmful as lobbing missiles in middle of civilian areas. But then again, that is the question, is this being done "lawfully" or or is it out of sight, out of mind?

But it seems that unless a request like this comes that brings things to light, nobody really cares HOW we do things.

11. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

link
    Its not that we don't know what they're doing, we do, but I think the ACLU may be trying to limit the scope of the battlefield to perhaps make some of these strikes illegal. There is no question, however, that the strikes work in keeping the enemy in fear and off-guard.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Exactly. If the military is unable to hit the broad side of the barn without taking out the farmhouse too, then they need to rethink what they're doing. So far their record is not good.

13. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I think the ACLU should focus on local civil rights issues rather than trying to muddy up the Military's operations with red tape ********. It is the AMERICAN Civil Liberties Union, after all. Leave the International issues up to the UN.

14. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Yes, terrorising the enemy. A familiar strategy that they use with their "manned" drones.

If 10 civilians are taken out in the process of taking out one guy, we are no better than them. We just keep saying that we are.

15. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I disagree. How could you possibly reveal this information to the American public without also revealing it to the rest of the world? You can't. This isn't the right way to do it.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They aren't asking for individual mission information, just the general legality. And to be honest its probably worth getting as if they are fully legal they are less likely to upset the average (educated) Pakistani or whoever.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- no one is asking for mission details, just the legality of our actions. If we can't get that question answered, then what in the world can we ask?

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Perhaps you would be good enough to link to a source showing that the US is at war with Pakistan? That we have some legal basis for military incursions there?

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

From the article:

The ACLU isn't asking for FOIA on specific missions or targets (or even capability), but rather for the legal argument for US missions inside Pakistan and Afghanistan.

While I tend to think you're right that the ACLU may be trying to limit the scope of the battlefield, I'm not sure the government can refuse such a request. The FOIA appears to ask how the government's lawyers have formed an opinion that these strikes are legal under US and International Law.

This will certainly lead to a court case, but the FOIA has been made in good faith.

As for Predator/Reaper strikes, I think they're invaluable in the fight, but at best, those missions are playing fast and loose with international law.

20. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

No one said we are at war with Pakistan however there is mounting evidence that the Pakistani Government is in collusion with the US Government in regards to the location of militants and who should be taken out.

NPR

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If we're not at war, then how can it be war policy?

If we're not at war with Pakistan, then surely we have some other legal justification for the use of our military there that you could point to?

(and insinuated themselves into? Really?)

22. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The US isn't at war? I guess you missed Obama's speech at West Point.

Some highlights:

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

^^ Fair enough for Afghanistan what about Pakistan?

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Oh ok, he said pakistan in a speech, surely that means we can just fly in any time and kill people!:rolleyes:

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So because Obama says it, that makes it true? Can't wait to talk health care or economic policy with you then! :p:rolleyes:

You notice I asked for a legal justification. I assume that this was the best you could come up with in response?

You get the Epic Fail Award for the day today. So far anyway. You've got some stiff competition around here though. :p