Prediction: trump allies with Russia as leverage against China

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Dec 12, 2016.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

While I'm not a fan of predictions, I'm seeing too many signs that this will be where trump and Russia are headed.

And it may ultimately be a good move in keeping China in check. Oh sure there may be some trade-offs, such as the Ukraine and some smaller states getting sucked back into Russia, but global domination has its winners and losers. Maybe this is Russia's ticket back into Afghanistan or the Mideast.

Am I crazy? Is there another more likely scenario that I'm overlooking?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The more likely scenario is that Trump has no clue how global relations work and is upsetting the system that has kept conflicts small and localized since the end of the Second World War. I doubt he will get us in an actual war with Russia and/or China, but he will appease them until the possibility of diplomacy to resolve issues is gone and the next president has to lead us through a major war.

3. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

If Trump runs the country like he runs a business, I can see him making deals with Russia or whatever country that will be the most beneficial to the United States. I know a lot of people (especially the Democrats) are going to be up in arms over that way of thinking. This is just my opinion, but I could be all wrong. As for the Russians "influencing" the U.S. election, it's my opinion this is just another attempt by the Democrats to steal the election back to Hillary. I have never seen such sore losers in my life, they protests, they are trying to influence the electors not to vote for Trump, they have Jill Stein do their dirty work on the recount attempts and now they're blaming Russian saying that the electors should have top secret information so they can make the "right" decision to vote against their pledge for Trump. It's truly pathetic and it will be truly sad if any of these attempts succeeds.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

We are trillions in debt. We need a better deal and he seems o be the right man for the job

5. citizenzen, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016

citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

So you're with John Bolton, thinking the Russian hacking is a false flag operation?

btw, I'm about as liberal as they come, yet I can see the long term advantage of an alliance with Russia, and if trump could pull that off without giving up the store, I'd start capitalizing his name again.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Selling his soul to Russia is different from working with them.

7. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

My gut feeling is that Trump's interest in Russia is purely financial. I don't have any proof beyond this:
    and a few other shady things mentioned in this article https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...68b5ec-54e7-11e6-88eb-7dda4e2f2aec_story.html

I'm sure he has lots of grandiose plans for domination and reshaping the world in his image, though.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The Russians get on well with the Chinese so...

That said the Chinese won't agree anything that comes across as an unequal treaty. They would probably go to war over that.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 13, 2016 ---
    Why would the Democratic party hack their own email and damage their own electoral chances.

It makes literally no sense.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, in terms of predictions, actually I think Russia and China are much more likely to become allies against the US (e.g., see link).

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

So basically China and Russia are going to fight an economic proxy war in the US. And some people think this is a good thing?

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Against who and where?

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Actually the threat of war is what keeps diplomacy going, and useful.
    In any case, there's not going to be a war with Russia and/or China, just some trade skirmish. As of today we prevented mayhem with Russia due to the Syrian debacle. As for China, we shall see.

13. citizenzen, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016

citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Our next Secretary of State ...

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 8.05.17 AM.png
    Rex W. Tillerson

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

By hiring immigrant workers and not paying the people that will work for him? He is great at that.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'll believe it the second Trump moves the ERI funded weapons systems back from Russia's borders.

Let's be clear here, Trump is surrounding himself with military to run foreign policy, and those exact military leaders (Gates/Mattis/etc.) have been looking for a fight with Russia for quite some time.

Mattis and Keane testifying on Dec. 2.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?323991-1/hearing-national-security-threats

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

He's the right man for the job, at the right time.
    I am glad that Condi Rice decided to bring him up to Trump, and that Robert Gates blessed the decision.

Actually Trump is doing something very smart - yet difficult to handle. He's choosing people with different views, sometimes opposite views on very important topics. This should give Trump and Pence a lot of freedom, and many options. Trump possibly created the impossibility of a groupthinking cabinet. He won't be surrounded by yes-men simpletons.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Jesus christ, every one of his military picks have a financial stake in war (they're on the boards of General Dynamics amongst others) and have an extensive public record on their stance against Russia.

You either don't know who these people are, have never looked into their testimony on the record, or simply don't care.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Hard to find anyone in Washington without ties to the war machine apparatus, doesn't matter if D or R (sad state of things, I agree with you on this).
    But that's what I am saying. On one side of the table you will have someone that loves Russia, on the other side of the table you will have someone that hates Russia. Trump will be free to decide, and he will have many options in front of him instead of what usually happens in a cabinet (one viable option, a backup option not much dissimilar to the first one, ten fakes options).

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

see? free labor FTW.
    best way to keep the peace is to be strong. or at least appear to be strong. Obama was WEAK & naive in many regards. red line was a joke, either follow through or DON'T make threats at all.

20. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Why is he the right man for the job, at the right time?

I'd suggest it's because his relationship with Russia will grease the wheels for our new alliance.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

First of all he's not a politician, which is not a bad thing since right now we don't need a DC insider to go around the globe. Second, it clearly opens up talks with Russia; given the status of Syria (and Egypt, and Turkey) and the interests in Ukraine this could prevent sudden chaos, particularly because for Putin it will be easier to understand US positions, and for the US it will be easier to understand Russia's positions.
    Third, he has a lot of international background, which helps... especially if compared Giuliani (a guardian angel protected us from Giuliani; that was a huge risk!)
    Fourth, he already has support from Condi and Robert Gates, which means that he has the support of many DC families, even as an outsider.
    Being in the place he is now, he clearly knows how to deal with foreign entities.

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Good. In other news, the UN accuses Assad's Russian-puppet-regime of executing civilians (see link). Well, I suppose we should be thankful given the barbarity of that regime that they didn't gas them.

23. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Giuliani was an absolutely insane choice.

Anybody short of Charles Manson would look good by comparison.

And yes ... that is hyperbole.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You really think Trump is going to be running foreign policy instead of being led by the nose by the generals?

Our foreign policy has been wagging the dog for 40+ years, Trump is not going to change that. He's surrounding himself by a who's who in neocon policy.

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I don't have a crystal ball, I can't say. I also checked my mailbox and I wasn't invited to the cabinet meeting. So, as yourself, I am just observing and guessing.
    I see that he put in the cabinet people with different views, and that's good news.
    He also kicked out three yes-men (Rudy, Chris, and Mitt*), which is truly amazing. (*)= Mitt was a potential yes man.
    I see that he actually changed electoral politics, so the past 40+ years are already different than what we have now.
    I see that he actually changed communications, so the past 40+ years are already different than what we have now.
    I see that he already changed how the US will look at diplomacy (remember the phone call to Taiwan?).