preorder/actual stock inventory in store confusion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Matt8045, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Matt8045 macrumors regular

Guys i'm confused, I got in late to the preorder game party, so I'm striking out at walmarts with 10+ people in front of me on the couple i've been to. I know if I preorder through AT&T i'm looking at roughly mid October to receive the phone.

QUESTION! If the preorders are that backed up, how will apple stores/at&t stores have any in stock for people who wait in line? Do they have a seperate shipment for in store regular purchases vs. preorders? I don't have a problem waiting in line for a couple hours but how do I know the store will have any in stock? thanks

2. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

They have an amount alloted for preorders, and another amount allotted for stores to sell on launch day.

I think you will have better luck trying an AT&T store on launch day than you will at Walmart. AT&T is definitely going to get a larger shipment than Walmart will. Last year, I personally know of two people who went to the AT&T store the afternoon that the iPhone 4S came out, and they were able to get the exact models and colors they wanted.

3. Matt8045 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh cool, I'm guessing the wait in line outside the at&t store method is probably more reliable than going with walmart too. Looks like I have an early morning Friday. Thanks

4. DArsenault macrumors regular

They reserve some for preorders, but most of the stock is shipped to Apple stores, carrier stores and third party stores ie Best Buy